Redemption code usage ideas?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
So a post on twitter got me thinking..... How can/will/should the new redemption codes be used?

The post mentioned putting the codes into Modern Masters paper boosters... Maybe ones redeemable for a MTGO booster or rare?

Can they be given out as prizes? Like say ones that you can redeem for your choice of any piece of the Power 9?

What else can we come up with?
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
Subscribed. I'm really excited about what redemption codes can bring to MTGO, so please bring on any fun/unique ideas you have for how they might be given out. Consider it a brainstorm thread if you want - no idea is too crazy.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Each player at an M2014 Prerelease gets a redemption code that can be redeemed for a special MTGO Promo pack (think of CVP). The contents of the Promo pack is one of a random set of objects (perhaps a M2014 pack or a promo card, someone more clever than me needs to figure that out). One out of a thousand of these Promo packs contain a random P9 card.
Long Story short: done properly, it's possible I would rather win a redemption code than boosters in a constructed tournament.

Classic Quarter
(www.classicquarter.com)
It's at least a start, but treat it like Zendikar did with its "hidden treasures": Secret stuffed redemption codes in boosters of a new set, played as strongly (or as down-low like how Zendikar did it) as MTG marketing would like.

Hah, random P9 could be in a booster again, but this time as digital would be funny. Was always talks about how to exactly do that. Or conservative approach, codes that lead to a set's promos, boosters, etc.

You can make this a regular thing to subtly integrate the paper crowd into MTGO by having each new set containing only a limited amount of these "golden tickets", further seeding the MTGO place in the paper-only crowd. Random paper drafts/events with talks of a booster-opened MTGO code should spread awareness of the online client like wildfire, quite honestly.
A lot depends on how special you want these codes to be. Judging by the first promo, not very exclusive. So, an idea would be that every foil paper rare comes with a MtGO promo code. (IIRC, the probability is about 1 in 72?) Or, if you don't want to have the same person win the lottery twice in a single go, just use the same mechanism you use for foil rare insertion to insert promo codes into paper boosters, let's say in the land slot. You could even have "common", "uncommon", and "rare" promo codes, like there are common, uncommon and rare foils. Common would get you a promo digital card, like the Pilgrim offered for this promo, uncommon would get you a base-set booster or a more valuable promo, and rare would get you free entry to Thursday night limited event.

Go draft, young man, go draft!

OK crazy idea coming up.

Typically when we talk of events on MTGO we mean things you pay an entrance fee for and play some number of rounds of magic for prizes. But what if there were special events that happened randomly to the population where a person got a pop up of a redemption code (for something random from a foil common/land to a mythic rare to a booster/event ticket or promo card foil/nonfoil).

They would be the only one allowed to redeem the code and would have to do it within an hour of receiving the code.

This kind of event might happen once per hour and would work like a 1:1 raffle without regard to what the account was up to at the time of the event.

There might be a period of time when it is known these things would occur, such as during the CCC.

Winter.Wolf

Gift cards.
It would be cool if the payout for a promo code could vary over time. That way you could create gift cards (great idea, Xarby) that when redeemed give the most recent draft set and entry fee - rather than perhaps getting old product that is no longer draftable.
A lot depends on how special you want these codes to be. Judging by the first promo, not very exclusive. So, an idea would be that every foil paper rare comes with a MtGO promo code. (IIRC, the probability is about 1 in 72?) Or, if you don't want to have the same person win the lottery twice in a single go, just use the same mechanism you use for foil rare insertion to insert promo codes into paper boosters, let's say in the land slot. You could even have "common", "uncommon", and "rare" promo codes, like there are common, uncommon and rare foils. Common would get you a promo digital card, like the Pilgrim offered for this promo, uncommon would get you a base-set booster or a more valuable promo, and rare would get you free entry to Thursday night limited event.

I would rather have them in place of a tip/token/advertisement/rules card place.

Would need them to have a certain look that is always consistent so people know that its a online redemption code and not some piece of advertisement.

Also, could maybe have some color coding to know of its rarity.  So maybe like wood, silver, bronze, gold.  Though most likely go with the black, silver, gold, and copper of card rarity.  Still not sure if you want the make the entire "ticket" the color, or maybe just a symbol on the "ticket" be different colors.

The lower level ticket could be a unhinged land, so it would still be something that is rather common but people want and would need many copies of?

The other thing is it could act as extra incenstives to help get people into stores for different things.  Even though I probably can't go to a pre-release or game day event for a while, could have codes for participants maybe?

Could give codes like the old player rewards use to be.  Sort of bring that program back, but make it where you get digital cards which would make the program cheaper.  Then you get an e-mail instead of a regular mail.  Either that or you log in to check your status and get a redemption code then.
*** NOTE: A lot of this would work better if the redemption codes were one-time use, i.e. scratch off. I don't know if that tech is available yet, but if so -- that's another great way to be able to merge physical and paper communities, because it lets WotC tie product together between paper and digital without diluting the market. ***

1. You know how much paper players hate the advertising inserts that aren't tokens?  Well, if those cards had redemption codes ... they would like them more.  There would likely be two types, the common code (i.e. like the initial Pilgrim code, static and only redeemable once per account, but one code can be shared across a large number of people) and the rare code, i.e. scratch off, usable only once that will allow access to a single digital item to a single person/account.

2. You can (and should) have a redemption code for the various sets intro packs in paper that will grant you the same deck online.  That would have to be a scratch off code.

3. FNM, Gameday, all the basic paper events should offer some sort of code.  Once again, everyone who participates gets the common code, and the winner/Top 8/random door prize should be the rare code.

4. Plainswalker points.  Special MTGO cards (hint plainswalkers ...) for reaching level 10, 20, 25, 30, etc.  Once again, this would likely need to be a one-time use code.  You could also tie a digital card to the various achievements.

5.  Obviously, the random card per box/pack in paper or maybe a one-time use preset, like the Buy-A-Box promo for a digital copy of the same card. 

6. This is going to happen at some point, but a common code that people could redeem with the spoilers that are released to the various media sites.  It would be awesome if new cards could be done that way, but I don't see that happening unless it's functional reprint ... but for old cards reprinted in the new sets -- a digital code to redeem for a copy of the new card before it's even available in paper ... wow.  In this case, let's just say Shock was being reprinted in M14.  When Star City or Pure MTGO gets their spoiler for the set, they could preview Shock as being reprinted in M14 with new art ... and BAM! Here's a digital code so you could get your own copy on MTGO right now.  The card would likely need to be common, but it might work well on occasion.

7. The obvious targets are codes for liking Facebook pages, Twitter follows and the like ... but code that's released just here on the boards ... that would be swell too.

Anyway, there's just so much good use this could be put to.  I hope that 10% of that good makes it out to the public at large.

Later,

Don! 
A failure to plan, is a plan to fail.
*** NOTE: A lot of this would work better if the redemption codes were one-time use, i.e. scratch off. I don't know if that tech is available yet, but if so -- that's another great way to be able to merge physical and paper communities, because it lets WotC tie product together between paper and digital without diluting the market. ***

It is. The system supports both single-use and mass promo codes like the first.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I think Don' ideas cover most of the obvious ones and seem most reasonable.

But as an online only player if the main use for this is as a promo for paper players I'll be less than pleased.
I know this is complianing about free stuff, but I like being able to at least have an chance at the free stuff. And it not even like it would be a two way thing. Untill buying digital packs gets me a chance for a paper promo why should buying a paper packs get you a digital promo?
Also why is this still US only? I'm allowed to win prizes and participation items but not get free stuff?

But yes in theory this is a good thing and I look forward to getting codes from twitter and facebook etc. I assume any multi use codes from packs will end up on the net as well, so them as too.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

I'm mostly coming up with ways for these to reward paper players.... But getting more of them online is a great idea.....

Winner of fnm/prerelease/pt/GP/vintage champs gets a code redeemable for an online set. Or a special art promo version of some cool cards like say the P9.

I think for me the most important thing wizards can do this year is get Vintage up and tuning and create some incentive for paper vintage and legacy players to switch over. So I see this as a tool for them to encourage that.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!