if someone was to enchant a guttersnipe with dual casting and illusionist bracers. would they get to use dual casting twice cause of I.B.?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
if someone was to enchant a guttersnipe with dual casting and illusionist bracers. would they get to use dual casting twice cause of I.B.?
yes
proud member of the 2011 community team

Yes.  The Dual Casting give an activated ability to the creature, and it's not a mana ability, so the IB copies it.

Because Dual Casting gives Guttersnipe the activated ability, then yes, an equipped Illusionist's Bracers would copy that ability when it's activated. 

Level 3 DCI Judge Mission Viejo, CA

Since nobody else brought it up, Guttersnipe's damage ability doesn't trigger when you copy spells. Only the original spell will get you the 2 damage.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Since nobody else brought it up, Guttersnipe's damage ability doesn't trigger when you copy spells. Only the original spell will get you the 2 damage.

So, casting a Copy of a spell doesn't count as casting a spell?

I find signatures incredibly distracting. If you read this, then you too have found them distracting. 

Copies of spells are never cast. They are created directly on the stack.

Note, that copies of cards can be cast.
If the copy is actually being cast, then it would count.  See Isochron Scepter for an example where the copy of the spell is cast after it's created.

However, in this scenario, Dual Casting does not have you cast the copy, so Guttersnipe won't trigger from the copy -- since, again, the copy was not cast.  The Gatherer rulings for Dual Casting confirm this:

5/1/2012: The copy is created on the stack, so it's not "cast." Abilities that trigger when a player casts a spell won't trigger. The copy will then resolve like a normal spell, after players get a chance to cast spells and activate abilities.

Alrighty, I think I got it. Was just making sure. I was specifically thinking of Isochron scepter, glad you guys mentioned it.

I find signatures incredibly distracting. If you read this, then you too have found them distracting. 

If the copy is actually being cast, then it would count.  See Isochron Scepter for an example where the copy of the spell is cast after it's created.

As said, copy of a "card", not spell.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

The proof of the principle that spell copies aren't cast is storm.

The copies of the original storm spell have storm too, but they don't trigger again, now do they?
because if the created copy was cast then its storm trigger would make more copies and you'd have a mandatory loop leading to a draw and that obviously doesn't happen. 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out