Exiling a Face Down Permanent

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
If a face down permanent is exiled, does it turn face up after it goes to the exile zone or before? Which rule in the Comprehensive Rules demonstrates this fact? (Note: I know the exiled card is not turned up on the battlefield itself, to help stave off any confusion.)

Xweetoks = ♥Happiness

If a face down permanent is exiled, does it turn face up after it goes to the exile zone or before?

Neither, really. The card in the exile zone is unrelated to the one on the battlefield, so one moment we have a face down card on the battlefield, and the next moment we are surprised to find a brand new unrelated card in the exile zone that is face up. At no point is the permanent face up, and at no point is the exiled card face down.
400.7. An object that moves from one zone to another becomes a new object with no memory of, or relation to, its previous existence. There are seven exceptions to this rule:

If you're asking about when you have to reveal the card to prove you weren't cheating, that happens "as" you move it. Note that it's just revealed, not actually turned face up.
707.9. If a face-down permanent moves from the battlefield to any other zone, its owner must reveal it to all players as he or she moves it. If a face-down spell moves from the stack to any zone other than the battlefield, its owner must reveal it to all players as he or she moves it. At the end of each game, all face-down permanents and spells must be revealed to all players.

It is turned face up as it is exiled, but isn't considered to have "turned face up" for the purposes of triggered abilities.

I'll search for a CR reference.

707.9. If a face-down permanent moves from the battlefield to any other zone, its owner must reveal it to all players as he or she moves it. If a face-down spell moves from the stack to any zone other than the battlefield, its owner must reveal it to all players as he or she moves it. At the end of each game, all face-down permanents and spells must be revealed to all players.

Level 3 DCI Judge Mission Viejo, CA

I should have been more clear and said that I meant the physical card itslef rather than the permanent it represents. My fault. Either way, it looks like rule 707.9 gives me what I want.

I thank you both very much.

Xweetoks = ♥Happiness

It is turned face up as it is exiled, but isn't considered to have "turned face up" for the purposes of triggered abilities.
I'll search for a CR reference.

From LEGIONS FAQ:
«Morph triggers don't trigger when the card is looked at or leaves play.»

You won't find it in the CR, because the CR tells us what does happen, and (mostly) doesn't bother telling what doesn't happen. 

Wizards of the Coast: outsourced to Elbonia

Given what's said here, if you bounce or tuck a morphed permanent, it must be revealed before it is returned to its owner's hand or put into its owner's library?
Yes. Otherwise, how would the opponent know it was really a creature with MORPH? Magic has its share of cheaters, ya know!

Wizards of the Coast: outsourced to Elbonia

Given what's said here, if you bounce or tuck a morphed permanent, it must be revealed before it is returned to its owner's hand or put into its owner's library?

yes, when a facedown card leaves the battlefield it has to be revealed

it's there to stop cheating
proud member of the 2011 community team
Yes, whenever the face down permanent would leave the battlefield. The rule exists to ensure, that you're not cheating (by having cast a card face down despite it not having morph or anything else allowing you to do so).
Oh, right.  Forgot about that whole cheating thing.
Sign In to post comments