Beware of false prophets coming at you barefooted

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
President of the OTTer Research Council on the Universe
When Dr. Douglas Brown, a radiologist in Orem, Utah, noticed an uptick recently in the number of barefoot runners he was seeing with heel and foot problems, he wondered if there might be a connection between their unshod training and their sore feet. But he couldn’t find any scientific studies that had examined the issue.

Are Utah doctors mentally retarded? It would be a tremendous waste of money to conduct a study that found that not wearing shoes and running as if you were, that is landing with a heel strike, results in heel injuries. 

Seriously, if you are going to run, barefoot, minimalist shoes, or regular shoes, you should work on your form to help minimize and avoid injuries.  
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
When Dr. Douglas Brown, a radiologist in Orem, Utah, noticed an uptick recently in the number of barefoot runners he was seeing with heel and foot problems, he wondered if there might be a connection between their unshod training and their sore feet. But he couldn’t find any scientific studies that had examined the issue.

Are Utah doctors mentally retarded? It would be a tremendous waste of money to conduct a study that found that not wearing shoes and running as if you were, that is landing with a heel strike, results in heel injuries. 

Seriously, if you are going to run, barefoot, minimalist shoes, or regular shoes, you should work on your form to help minimize and avoid injuries.  

No kidding. You can look up proper running form on youtube. Besides which, I believe that there are in fact studies that have been conducted. It's not exactly rocket science.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.

No kidding. You can look up proper running form on youtube. Besides which, I believe that there are in fact studies that have been conducted. It's not exactly rocket science.

Yup. Too bad this brilliant doctor didn't bother to look at any of that stuff before publishing this study.
Why some of the barefoot-style runners developed serious foot problems and others did not is not yet clear, but Dr. Ridge is now analyzing additional data about the volunteers, which includes information about each runner’s mileage, running form, body weight and other variables.

“What we hope to see is whether there are some runners who, because of their biomechanics or other factors” seem to be particularly predisposed to foot injuries during the transition to barefoot-style running and “perhaps shouldn’t” make the switch at all from normal running shoes, she said.

I'm sure there will  
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
President of the OTTer Research Council on the Universe

I cannot agree with you both more..  I am really into running, in particular over the last year.  I run more on the sides of my feet in light shoes a step up from barefoot simulators like some toe shoes.  I never have sore feet or knees...maybe occasionally tight quads after a real long run.  How much you guys run?  Doing my first full Marathon in May.

Chelsea FC - winner of 2012 FA Cup and Champions League Champions of Europe! Three Lions Resident Footie
I cannot agree with you both more..  I am really into running, in particular over the last year.  I run more on the sides of my feet in light shoes a step up from barefoot simulators like some toe shoes.  I never have sore feet or knees...maybe occasionally tight quads after a real long run.  How much you guys run?  Doing my first full Marathon in May.

I hate running but I did 18 miles within a week of switching to minimalist shoes (admittedly that was a dumb move). I ran the Army 10-miler in my Vibrams. I do a lot of mud runs like Warrior Dash, Rebel Race, CMC, etc. They are all 5k or longer and full of obstacles.

I also wear my skeletoes as my general every day shoe, I got a pair of loafers and removed the heel elevation in the insoles, and for when I'm in uniform I got a pair of Nike SFBs (they have a sole similar to the Nike Free shoes), shaved some material off the heel and replaced the insoles with a pair of flat insoles.

I hate running but I did 18 miles within a week of switching to minimalist shoes (admittedly that was a dumb move). I ran the Army 10-miler in my Vibrams. I do a lot of mud runs like Warrior Dash, Rebel Race, CMC, etc. They are all 5k or longer and full of obstacles.

I also wear my skeletoes as my general every day shoe, I got a pair of loafers and removed the heel elevation in the insoles, and for when I'm in uniform I got a pair of Nike SFBs (they have a sole similar to the Nike Free shoes), shaved some material off the heel and replaced the insoles with a pair of flat insoles.

I looove running!  I have Nike Frees, but I prefer my cheaper Flex Runs.  I do not use insoles, but I like good socks.  I have some friends that do Tough Mudda, thinking about trying it out.

Chelsea FC - winner of 2012 FA Cup and Champions League Champions of Europe! Three Lions Resident Footie
I think we are going to have to start an OTTer mud run.
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
I think we are going to have to start an OTTER mud run.

It should include some swimming, floating and clam bashing.

I'm not into running long distance. I prefer doing sprints. I have been thinking of doing long run, but I've been busy with work and school. I don't have time to train for long runs. 

I do remember BN saying he had done 18 mikes when he first got his Skeletoes, and I told him it was way too much way too quickly. Fortunately BN seems to have a good running form.  
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this

I'm not into running long distance. I prefer doing sprints. I have been thinking of doing long run, but I've been busy with work and school. I don't have time to train for long runs. 

I do remember BN saying he had done 18 mikes when he first got his Skeletoes, and I told him it was way too much way too quickly. Fortunately BN seems to have a good running form.  

I prefer the longer distances, but yeah they are time consuming.  Once or twice a week I do twenty, but it takes me 3-4 hours...I am not trying to kill myself so I start out walking and walk a little in the middle.  Best thing about running...I eat a lot!

iIt makes me cringe seeing people slamming on their heels.  In no time they will be shaving their legs, donning spandex and riding a road bike.

iIt makes me cringe seeing people slamming on their heels.  In no time they will be shaving their legs, donning spandex and riding a road bike.

I hate watching heel strikes. It makes me want to pull them aside and go all Jehova's Witness on them preaching about the need to convert to minimalist running.

I hate watching heel strikes. It makes me want to pull them aside and go all Jehova's Witness on them preaching about the need to convert to minimalist running.

I will let you know when the spiritual booklets are ready.

I prefer the longer distances, but yeah they are time consuming.  Once or twice a week I do twenty, but it takes me 3-4 hours...I am not trying to kill myself so I start out walking and walk a little in the middle.  Best thing about running...I eat a lot!

Yeah, watching a person run and continuously slam their heels makes me cringe as well. I usually get asked about my toe-shoes, which lets me go into minimalist preaching mode. I get asked if the toe shoes are comfortable and if I can run int hem. I tell them yes on both counts, but you have to learn how to properly run and walk. Then I go into the evils of the heel strike. 

On a side note: Once you go with the minimalist shoes, you realize how heavy regular shoes actually are. I love wearing my Vibrams. It really is one of the closest things to walking barefoot. And I love the ground feel I get from them. 
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
Oh, I was hoping that this was about General Butt Naked.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Yeah, watching a person run and continuously slam their heels makes me cringe as well. I usually get asked about my toe-shoes, which lets me go into minimalist preaching mode. I get asked if the toe shoes are comfortable and if I can run int hem. I tell them yes on both counts, but you have to learn how to properly run and walk. Then I go into the evils of the heel strike.

Yeah that's usually my cue as well.
I am enjoying the discussion on running.  Do you guys bring anything with you like water.  I wear a really small Amphipod, which holds my phone and car key.  It also features a 6 oz. clip on water bottle.  I don't really drink water while I run, but I like to be able to rinse out my mouth or take an occasional sip.  I don't usually listen to music while I run as I do not want to miss the sounds of nature or the cars that are trying to run me over.  Sort of a moot point with Hybrids.
I take a bottle of water with me while I'm doing sprints. I drink small amounts during my down time. You don't want to drink large quantities of water and then start doing sprints. It generally doesn't end well. Have you tried taking an energy gel with you while you run? They are pretty good. They give you a decent shot of carbs while you're doing your long runs. If you are planning on running your first marathon, you may want to look into them.  
This is not a trapp
Riddle me this
I take a bottle of water with me while I'm doing sprints. I drink small amounts during my down time. You don't want to drink large quantities of water and then start doing sprints. It generally doesn't end well. Have you tried taking an energy gel with you while you run? They are pretty good. They give you a decent shot of carbs while you're doing your long runs. If you are planning on running your first marathon, you may want to look into them.  

yeah, I agree a lot of water is not good during a run.  I might drink more if it were hot and humid, but I am thankful for the very moderate weather I have here.  When running for fun, I usually eat a pretty good meal beforehand, so I don't feel any hunger pangs.  When I have run half-marathons, I guess perhaps I get a little nervous.  I eat beforehand but not a big meal.  I have taken advantage of the gel packs handed out during the race and usually cross the finish pleasantly hungry.

Yeah, most Vibram shoes enthusiast grew up wearing shoes, so it's no wonder switching to something minimalist proves a shock to their feet. Running on hard surfaces such as most sidewalks likely doesn't help as well.
And is it just me or do those look even worse when actually worn than just sitting there?
I am enjoying the discussion on running.  Do you guys bring anything with you like water.  I wear a really small Amphipod, which holds my phone and car key.  It also features a 6 oz. clip on water bottle.  I don't really drink water while I run, but I like to be able to rinse out my mouth or take an occasional sip.  I don't usually listen to music while I run as I do not want to miss the sounds of nature or the cars that are trying to run me over.  Sort of a moot point with Hybrids.

Nope. I hydrate before and after. I don't like to carry water with me, I don't like to stop at water points, and really I don't like drinking anything while I'm running. I don't like to have anything in my pockets either, so no phone or keys. Now when I was in Afghanistan I ran with a knife but that's because men had been raped on my running route.

Nope. I hydrate before and after. I don't like to carry water with me, I don't like to stop at water points, and really I don't like drinking anything while I'm running. I don't like to have anything in my pockets either, so no phone or keys. Now when I was in Afghanistan I ran with a knife but that's because men had been raped on my running route.

I have to bring a little water with me on longer runs...perhaps just for comfort.  I would love to ditch my phone, but I am on call unless for a good reason.

So yeah, getting hit by a car does not sound that bad.

I have to bring a little water with me on longer runs...perhaps just for comfort.  I would love to ditch my phone, but I am on call unless for a good reason.

When I'm running I'm usually doing a mud run, and I'm not going to bring my personal or work phone on that. Besides, these runs are usually an hour or more from home anyway so there is no way I'm making it back in a timely manner even if it is something important.

When I'm running I'm usually doing a mud run, and I'm not going to bring my personal or work phone on that. Besides, these runs are usually an hour or more from home anyway so there is no way I'm making it back in a timely manner even if it is something important.

sometimes I miss the landline days.

So what are the advantages of mud running?  I think the closest I could get to that around here is a beach run.

So what are the advantages of mud running?  I think the closest I could get to that around here is a beach run.

The advantages are that it's fun. It's basically doing a 3+ mile obstacle course.

The advantages are that it's fun. It's basically doing a 3+ mile obstacle course.

It does sound funnerer perhaps than running on pavement.  I mix in a little trail running, but I look at my feet a lot.  I perhaps worry too much about tweaking an ankle.

Another bonus about running, got a cute girls number today.  I knew she ran and I saw her during my run today. Smile

Look at all you sad people. You won't catch me runnin'.
I liked running...
25 years ago when I was young, in the Army, and full of piss and vinegar.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
If running was what we were meant to do god would never have given us cars.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

If running was what we were meant to do god would never have given us cars.

I am not sure God invented cars.  Smog filled skies, wars over oil, burnt metal wreckage and fast-food drive through...who invented that?

So yeah I am a heathen...I like cars.

I am not sure God invented cars.  Smog filled skies, wars over oil, burnt metal wreckage and fast-food drive through...who invented that?

Old Testament god.

No, you're a faithful follower of the true text. 
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Smog filled skies, wars over oil, burnt metal wreckage and fast-food drive through...who invented that?

Man.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine

Old Testament god.

No, you're a faithful follower of the true text. 

Wait isn't that my line?

What just happened here?
http://guild.medialoungeca.com/index.php?action=forum The Guild I'm apart of. We're in WOW, STO, Rift and soon Star Wars feel free to register and hang out. http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/ my deviantart Wheelman of the House of Trolls, "I love it when you watch" Carrier of Section 2, 3 and 6 cargo. Resident Driver Stud God of Transportation and Lust.
Sign In to post comments