Hey WotC, it's time to announce the next DC set.

63 posts / 0 new
Last post
In your podcast about Blood of Gruumsh, you say that BoG is the first DC sets that will use all new sculpts. While that's not exactly a proncouncement that new sets are coming, it's a very strong hint. I think the gaming public needs to know that there will be more DC, and they should know soon.

I think timing is critical. I know a number of people who are really on the fence about this game. They want to buy in, but aren't willing to do so until they know that WotC is going to support it. If the player base is not expanding and there is no organised play program, it will probably begin contracting as people move on to other games and it'll be harder to grow the game in the future.

So please make some sort of official announcement about the next set. You don't have to say what it will be, just that more will be coming. End the speculation.
I heard that Wizards of the Coast has a contract with the artists who make the miniatures.  If WotC stops making new sets, then the artists will be free to find new companies to work with.  Because of this WotC is most likely to continue making Dungeon Command games.  

While this explaination doesn't make any sense to me, it should be noted that legal and financial issues often are not logical.  My best guess is that within two years a new Dungeon Command set will come out.  I would also guess that WotC believes that they can sell more games by not announcing new releases.  They probably think that if people think a new set is going to come out in a few months, then they would save their money for a set that they will like more.  As things stand no one knows when a given Dungeon Command warband will run.  You never know when the price could skyrocket. 

The reality is that I don't know wheather to trust my source on this or not.  And my second paragraph is purely me speculating.  I am trying to see through fog that is thicker than pea soup.  So who could blame me if I don't see an abonimable snow monster. 
I too caught that comment about Blood of Gruumsh being the "first" set with all new sculpts.  There is also the "first" CAD designed mini from D&D in that set.  I'm really hopeful about Dungeon Command.  I love it.  Some news, now, would be nice.  Let's have some! Smile 
I agree.  I can't imagine how it would hurt WotC's business in the slightest if they would tell us (for example) that a new set is in the works and is expected to be released in 2013 (or 2014, or whenever).  

I'm a leader at my place of work, and so much of leadership keeps coming back to communication-communication-communication.  People perform much better when they're kept in the loop, at least to a degree.  Increased communication is almost always one of the simplest and most effective ways to improve an organization.

We the players would greatly appreciate a little bit of communication from someone in the know at WotC.  It wouldn't hurt WotC, and it would greatly help the growth of the game.
Every week I try to find some news and I am really getting frustrated. For MTG we allready know the name of the sets until may 2014 ... I know that they first want to recieve the sellers data but the product was going so good. I had to wait 4 weeks after release to get the BoG set in germany which shows that DC rises strongly in popularity. At least they could tell us the working title of the product. Usually these titles are abstract enough to do not tell something at all.

This game is so good they would be really stupid if they do not see the potential. Easy to learn, hard to master, exactly what the people want.
Nothing whatsoever in the April "In the Works" column. Dungeon Command is done. Fun while it lasted, though.
I just spoke with Customer Service on the phone (with Matt, a really helpful guy), asking if he could tell me whether or not there were plans to produce further DC sets.  He had no answer for me at this time, but urged me to send a communication to Customer Support.

Here is the note I sent.  I'd invite the rest of you to send a similar (and respectful!) note:

I am an avid Dungeon Command player. I thoroughly enjoy the innovative and deep gameplay, and I think this game has excellent potential for the future. I play it with my young children (ages 6,8,9), and I also play it with my adult friends, and they all absolutely love it!

We, the players on the Dungeon Command forums (on the Wizards.com site), would really like to receive some communication--even a short communication--indicating whether or not Wizards plans to produce further sets of Dungeon Command. We really want the game to continue, and we will be happy to endure the wait if there will be a significant production delay. But we just want to know whether the game will continue to be produced or not. The sooner we know, the better.

So please--whatever the decision is, or even if that decision is still in process--have an employee take five minutes to make a short post on the Dungeon Command forums and let us know the current and future status of our beloved game. If you're inclined, feel free to read this thread, which I think adequately summarizes the value of this simple request:community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758....

Thank you very much!

To send a note of your own, go to wizards.custhelp.com/app/ask and submit a question.  I did it under the "Dungeons & Dragons/DDM" product line heading.

Nothing whatsoever in the April "In the Works" column. Dungeon Command is done. Fun while it lasted, though.

I'm not ready to write it off yet, but the lack of information is very bad news. There has been nothing but silence on this issue, not even a hint of something, and that is a bad sign. Still, there's a small measure of hope until it's officially declared dead....
I just received a reply from WotC customer service:

Response Via Email (Support Rep)04/07/2013 03:25 PM
Hello Trevor,

Thanks for writing in to us, and I'm glad to hear that you'd like to see more Dungeon Command!

We don't have any announced plans for more expansions to Dungeon Command, but keep an eye on our website to see if any updates are posted:www.wizards.com/dnd/Products.aspx

I have also passed your feedback along to our D&D team, to let the know that you and our other players are looking forward to a new release for the game.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you!

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here

Philip
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Sunday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST

So it's not a direct response of Yes as I had hoped, but it's also not a No.  It's a Wait-and-See.  

Regardless, I'm not willing to consider this journey over yet.  Cool 
I just received a reply from WotC customer service:

Response Via Email (Support Rep)04/07/2013 03:25 PM
Hello Trevor,

Thanks for writing in to us, and I'm glad to hear that you'd like to see more Dungeon Command!

We don't have any announced plans for more expansions to Dungeon Command, but keep an eye on our website to see if any updates are posted:www.wizards.com/dnd/Products.aspx

I have also passed your feedback along to our D&D team, to let the know that you and our other players are looking forward to a new release for the game.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you!

We would appreciate your feedback on the service we are providing you. Please click here to fill out a short questionnaire.

To login to your account, or update your question please click here

Philip
Online Response Crew
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496 (US and Canada)
425-204-8069 (From all other countries)
Monday-Sunday 9am-6pm PST / 12pm-9pm EST

So it's not a direct response of Yes as I had hoped, but it's also not a No.  It's a Wait-and-See.  

Regardless, I'm not willing to consider this journey over yet.   

Nice job with the letter.  Hopefully we get good news!
I sent them a message via the customer service and I asked @Wizards_Dnd on twitter. Hopefully enough questions'll get us some news.
Part of me wonders if the reason DC seems ot be on hold is because of the edition transition.  4E was rife with factions to base sets around: the dragonborn of Arkhosia, the Tieflings of Bael'Turath and so on.  You could even base sets on the factions in Conquest of Nerath: a human-based Nerath set (with Mountain Giant mini), an elf-based Valinor set, a devil-based Iron Circle set, and so on.

But, with the transition to Next, I'm wondering if perhaps some of the DC people have been conscripted to help work on the main product, and maybe the switch in editions has caused them to rethink plans to introduce 4e-based warbands.  After all, would people in the 5E era want an Arkhosia or Bael'Turath set if they don't even know what those are?

Of course, one of the very first sets was a Forgotten Realms-based set: Heart of Cormyr.  Maybe they're trying to come up with some more factions that don't look like "Cormyr, but with a different Large mini."

Despite the edition change, I'd still like to see those 4E sets that many others want to see.  Even if I do switch to 5E on its release, I still plan to have tieflings and dragonborn in my world, even if I have to make up their race stats myself.  They're just too ingrained in my campaign setting to leave out.  And I'd love to have some actual minis for them to use on the table.
I just spoke with Customer Service on the phone (with Matt, a really helpful guy), asking if he could tell me whether or not there were plans to produce further DC sets.  He had no answer for me at this time, but urged me to send a communication to Customer Support.

Here is the note I sent.  I'd invite the rest of you to send a similar (and respectful!) note:

I am an avid Dungeon Command player. I thoroughly enjoy the innovative and deep gameplay, and I think this game has excellent potential for the future. I play it with my young children (ages 6,8,9), and I also play it with my adult friends, and they all absolutely love it!

We, the players on the Dungeon Command forums (on the Wizards.com site), would really like to receive some communication--even a short communication--indicating whether or not Wizards plans to produce further sets of Dungeon Command. We really want the game to continue, and we will be happy to endure the wait if there will be a significant production delay. But we just want to know whether the game will continue to be produced or not. The sooner we know, the better.

So please--whatever the decision is, or even if that decision is still in process--have an employee take five minutes to make a short post on the Dungeon Command forums and let us know the current and future status of our beloved game. If you're inclined, feel free to read this thread, which I think adequately summarizes the value of this simple request:community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758....

Thank you very much!

To send a note of your own, go to wizards.custhelp.com/app/ask and submit a question.  I did it under the "Dungeons & Dragons/DDM" product line heading.

Done it!

Response:
Hello Raffaello,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your assistance in refining our products. I have passed your suggestion/feedback on to the appropriate team. I assure you that they review each and every suggestion. Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Take Care and Good Gaming!
Excellent!  Thanks for doing that.  
Also done!
Now done as well!
I hope DC keeps going.  I'm big time into Heroscape and it didn't take WotC long to kill that after they got it.  Hopefully DC will continue because I really enjoy playing it also.
I adore DC.  How can they not make D&D miniatures with next coming out?  Dungeon Command is a great game and the only other comparable minis are for Pathfinder.   I don't think Pathfinder has the same artistic feel as the Realms and I don't like using their minis.  Soooo how about... sharing some of your thoughts WotC?  At this point aren't you just annoying D&D people by giving canned corporate answers to fairly basic questions?  I know I'm anoyed.  I don't want the secret recipe to Coca~Cola.  How about "New products are not being considered." Or,"DC is not gone. We will be designing 5 new sets to coincide with the release of Next."  It would be SO much nicer than "Thank you. Your call IS important to us blah blah corporate babble..." 

C'mon.  What's on your mind? 
I adore DC.  How can they not make D&D miniatures with next coming out?  Dungeon Command is a great game and the only other comparable minis are for Pathfinder.   I don't think Pathfinder has the same artistic feel as the Realms and I don't like using their minis.  Soooo how about... sharing some of your thoughts WotC?  At this point aren't you just annoying D&D people by giving canned corporate answers to fairly basic questions?  I know I'm anoyed.  I don't want the secret recipe to Coca~Cola.  How about "New products are not being considered." Or,"DC is not gone. We will be designing 5 new sets to coincide with the release of Next."  It would be SO much nicer than "Thank you. Your call IS important to us blah blah corporate babble..." 

C'mon.  What's on your mind? 

Well said.
+1 

It doesn't take a lot to score big points with the DC players: just let us know the current thought process, even if you say something like, "We're putting DC on hold for now while we work on DnD-Next, but hope to release more sets of DC to coincide with the release of DnD-Next."  Just a little bit of communication will go a LONG way.
I just downloaded the GenCon event list released tonight.  Did a quick text search in Excel for "Dungeon Command" and came up empty .  Not encouraging.
I did the same thing and felt the same way.  The weird thing is, I also did a search for lords of Waterdeep (which is coming out with an expansion in aug) as well as all three Adventure Series board games, all of them had zero entries.  It's almost like wotc forgot to submit or is hosting all their board games and mini games in their vendor area.  I am not sure.
I've attended Gencon for the past 4 years, and each time all I did was play Star Wars Miniatures.  If they had some DC tournaments I'd definitely sign up for them this year.  
I haven't missed GenCon or Origins in many years.  I would love to play in a tournament!  WotC did support a convention tourney [Something EAST???] in Boston in March I think.  GenCon seems like a natural.  D&D was THE place to be last year. 

Ah, Lolth... I can't stay mad at you.

But how about a little news? 
It's not unusual for WotC to submit events too late for inclusion in the Gen Con catalog during the early registration period, which is a bummer for those of us who'd love to play some DC at Gen Con but don't want to take a chance by leaving too many slots open.
I haven't missed GenCon or Origins in many years.  I would love to play in a tournament!  WotC did support a convention tourney [Something EAST???] in Boston in March I think.  GenCon seems like a natural.  D&D was THE place to be last year. 

Ah, Lolth... I can't stay mad at you.

But how about a little news? 

It was at PAX East, but only four of us played Cry so they likely weren't encouraged.

Of course, the communication about that event was also awful and they weren't running demos of the game or pushing it or anything so it shouldn't be super surprising; "if you hold it, they will come" really only works for Magic and a very few other huge games.  I also heard later on from one of the volunteers that a bunch of their staff bailed at the last minute, though, so maybe they were planning to push DC more but just lost the manpower.

Sad in any case, and I'd love to hear that more was on the way at some point, even if not super soon. 
I will likely run some events for my group Rogue Judges at Origins and GenCon. They won't be in the event listing, so I'll post a notice here. Trying to get something special for the events.
I will likely run some events for my group Rogue Judges at Origins and GenCon. They won't be in the event listing, so I'll post a notice here. Trying to get something special for the events.

I would love to play if it's open to people outside your group!  I will definately attend both cons.  What will the warband building rules be?  min 12 creatures / min 30 Orders / no more than 4 of any 1 card?

Maybe an Origins thread would be a good idea.

...and WotC should give us some news.    
Sweet! I'd love to play at GenCon. Please keep us posted.
Thanks Cashtool!  I would also love to play at GenCon, formally sanctioned or not.  GenCon event pre-reg is this coming Sunday, so it would be really helpful to have a schedule of your games by then so I can be sure to set aside the appropriate time slot(s).  Look forward to meeting you.
The event would be open to everyone. I'll post here and on bgg with the location and time. It doesn't look like wizards has anything planned.
The event would be open to everyone. I'll post here and on bgg with the location and time. It doesn't look like wizards has anything planned.
It's really sad that WotC doesn't have an official event planned for Gen Con. This is the opportunity to showcase Dungeon Command to the core audience that is most likely to buy it and theres nothing happening. Nothing at all... 

Thank you to Cashtool and anyone else at Gen Con who hosts a DC event. You guys should keep some extra sets on hand because I have no doubt that once the gaming public sees what a great game this is, they will want to join in.

Thanks Cashtool!  I would also love to play at GenCon, formally sanctioned or not.  GenCon event pre-reg is this coming Sunday, so it would be really helpful to have a schedule of your games by then so I can be sure to set aside the appropriate time slot(s).  Look forward to meeting you.

I have posted Forum threads for both Origins and GenCon.  Check those out for the two events. Open to everyone, but you won't find the official event listing for Origins / GenCon. Just show up ready to play!

Think we are on the cusp of some news.  This was in the convwntion link for ORIGINS in Columbus, Ohio:

Origins Game Fair: June 12-16, 2013

This year, members of the Dungeons & Dragons team will be on hand at the Origins Game Fair in Columbus, Ohio to discuss D&D Next and the exciting things we have planned for board games and miniatures. The convention runs from June 12-16. You can find information about D&D events as well as general information about the convention on the Origins website.

Hopefully this is the announcement  for the next set of DC releases.  Smile  

"...for boardgames AND MINIATURES"!!!!!!!!  

In the words of Dr. Frankenstein, "It's alive!  It's ALIVE!!!"
Let us hope!  There HAVE to be D&D minis of some kind.  I think DC is the perfect way forward.  Pathfinder "Battles"  is pretty lame, not because the minis are bad, (they aren't) but because they are just figures with no game. 

I think it's got a good chance of being alive.  I think 2014 will be an amazing year for D&D.  
I'm very excited about this. Let's hope there is real news here and not just a PR person taking liberties with an announcement to make it sound better. (seen that happen before!)
I'm very excited about this. Let's hope there is real news here and not just a PR person taking liberties with an announcement to make it sound better. (seen that happen before!)

Hope that WotC will make some bossters for each faction, at least.. I dont want to buy one more SoL warband to get 2nd Drow asassin (for example) and few orders.. 
I keep silence about getting ToG or another pack to make custom warband.
I'm also a little worried that they are talking about the GF9 minis.  They are nice, but they are 10 dollars per mini!
I'm also a little worried that they are talking about the GF9 minis.  They are nice, but they are 10 dollars per mini!

GF9 mmm i didn`t understood what you mean.   But 10 dollars per mini worse than whole new warband!