3/7/2013 Sealed Deck Exercise

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Sealed Deck Builder, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
What we have here is a terrible sealed pool.  It's important to recognize it fast, because we're going to have to do something wonky to make this playable.  Our rares don't really point us in a firm direction, especially the limited-unplayable Enter the Infinite.  We do have some gates though.  Another thing we have?  Lots of removal.  Tons.  Double Grisly Spectacle, a Mugging, double Death's Approach, Clan Defiance(!), Executioner's Swing plus some other removal that ranges from clunky but effective (Cinder Elemental, Debtor's Pulpit) to extremely conditional (Furious Resistance, double Massive Raid, Dinrova Horror).  I tried to focus first on making a traditional R/B infinite removal deck, and then worked in splashes as I thought necessary.  We have a whole pile of gates to choose from.  I ended up four colors:

This Deck was built in 0:14:50

Total Deck Size: 40
18 Lands
---------------
2 Forest
5 Mountain
2 Plains
5 Swamp
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Gruul Guildgate
2 Orzhov Guildgate

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Bomber Corps
1 Boros Reckoner
1 Cinder Elemental
1 Firefist Striker
1 Kingpin's Pet
1 Ruination Wurm
1 Syndic of Tithes
1 Syndicate Enforcer
1 Towering Thunderfist
1 Vizkopa Confessor
1 Wight of Precinct Six

11 Other Spells
---------------
1 Clan Defiance
2 Death's Approach
1 Debtor's Pulpit
1 Executioner's Swing
1 Furious Resistance
2 Grisly Spectacle
1 Massive Raid
1 Midnight Recovery
1 Mugging

Clearly this is all over the map, guild-wise.  First thing to remember is that this is sealed.  While the crazy aggro draw will happen, it's less common than in draft where someone can sit down intending to make the fifteen-land-nothing-over-three-costed Gruul deck.  Two drops are still important though, and I'm going to run all of them in the primary colors I'm in: black, red and white, in that order.  While we won't often be triggering Battalion, we will often be triggering Extort or the putting creatures in their graveyard.  A pilot for this deck should remember that Firefist Striker is actively mediocre, and trade it whenever possible, especially over the Syndic or Wight.

This deck is highly influenced by its mana.  Normally, you'd run all the Massive Raids.  We're running very few creatures, however, and the double red in the casting cost isn't easy for us, so only one made the cut.  I built the deck to mostly rely on cards with singular colored mana costs.   Because we're being defensive, I used green only for the top tier removal spell, and the biggest creature in the pool.  Swine and Rampager, sorry guys, you gotta sit bench.  With all the gates, I have 7 Black sources, 5 White sources, 7 Red sources, and 3 Green sources.  Furthermore, I have eleven lands that cast the best card in our deck: Boros Reckoner.

With this deck, we're strapping in for a grindy, grindy game.  Midnight Recovery ciphered onto Kingpin's Pet with a Cinder Elemental or Reckoner to find in the yard will slowly destroy an opponent's creature base.  I included all four extorters, because we're probably going to need it.  Many of our conditional removal spells are cheap enough that when the time comes, we can extort off them as well.  I'm worried about having enough creatures to block to make Furious Resistance a good spell, but I think we have to take that gamble.  We're definitely the control player, and creature-light, so aggro cards like Ember Beast and Act of Treason are poor choices.  Once we've cleared the board of everything relevant, we'll let our Thunderfist, Wurm and likely enormous Wight get in there to finish the game off.

All in all, this is not what I would want in a sealed deck.  But given what we have, I think it's a perfectly fine deck. 

Gruul splash blue for some card draw simic cards.  Curve is decent.  Have a reasonable amount of removal.  Have a top end bomb or two.  Reckoner isn't really a 3-drop in this deck, but that's okay.  3 ramp spells.

This Deck was built in 0:17:13

17 Lands
---------------
7 Forest
1 Island
6 Mountain
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Dimir Guildgate
1 Gruul Guildgate

16 Creatures
---------------
1 Bomber Corps
1 Boros Reckoner
1 Cinder Elemental
1 Disciple of the Old Ways
1 Ember Beast
1 Fathom Mage
1 Firefist Striker
1 Ghor-Clan Rampager
1 Giant Adephage
1 Greenside Watcher
1 Ruination Wurm
1 Scab-Clan Charger
1 Spire Tracer
1 Towering Thunderfist
1 Wasteland Viper
1 Zhur-Taa Swine

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Act of Treason
1 Clan Defiance
1 Dimir Keyrune
2 Massive Raid
1 Mugging
1 Urban Evolution

It's not great, but it's not terrible either.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I was short running the pure Gruul list so I splashed in some simic cards that would help late game. I only really see 4 ways that this deck closes out matches being 1) Giant Adephage 2) Clan Defiance 3) Cinder Elemental as Fireball and 4) Boros Reckoner used either in conjuction with Clan Defiance or otherwise. with that in mind, mana ramping became pretty important so adding in the Frenzied Tillings actually makes for a nice ramping/tempo play that helps me get at either my 3rd mountain (reckoner) or my first Island for the simic cards.

This Deck was built in 0:28:31

19 Lands
---------------
8 Forest
3 Island
7 Mountain
1 Gruul Guildgate

16 Creatures
---------------
1 Bomber Corps
1 Boros Reckoner
1 Cinder Elemental
1 Cloudfin Raptor
1 Ember Beast
1 Fathom Mage
1 Firefist Striker
1 Ghor-Clan Rampager
1 Giant Adephage
1 Ruination Wurm
1 Scab-Clan Charger
1 Shambleshark
1 Spire Tracer
1 Wasteland Viper
1 Zhur-Taa Swine

5 Other Spells
---------------
1 Clan Defiance
2 Frenzied Tilling
1 Mugging
1 Urban Evolution

The early to mid game is aggression and if you make it to the late game our endgame becomes play a bomb (or Cinder Elemental).
i'm new to this, but thought it was a horrible draw. so much good stuff, spread across so many colours. whatever i picked, i left the means to annihalte it unpicked. so i aimed to pick a few good bombs (clan defiance, evolve and dying wish), a few spells to rescue lost vitals and plenty of removal. couldn't get under 4 colours, but figure the gates help. had to have the frenzied tillings to stop someone else usingthem and wrecking me.

This Deck was built in 0:11:46

17 Lands
---------------
3 Forest
4 Island
2 Mountain
5 Swamp
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Dimir Guildgate
1 Gruul Guildgate

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Clinging Anemones
1 Cloudfin Raptor
1 Dinrova Horror
1 Fathom Mage
1 Sage's Row Denizen
1 Sapphire Drake
1 Shambleshark
1 Simic Fluxmage
1 Wasteland Viper
1 Wight of Precinct Six

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Beckon Apparition
1 Clan Defiance
1 Dying Wish
2 Frenzied Tilling
1 Grisly Spectacle
1 Hands of Binding
1 Midnight Recovery
1 Psychic Strike
2 Scatter Arc
1 Unexpected Results
1 Urban Evolution

I tried a simple Gruul, adding a few Boros cards...

This Deck was built in 0:04:10

16 Lands
---------------
9 Forest
6 Mountain
1 Gruul Guildgate

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Adaptive Snapjaw
1 Boros Reckoner
1 Ember Beast
2 Foundry Street Denizen
1 Ghor-Clan Rampager
1 Giant Adephage
1 Greenside Watcher
1 Ruination Wurm
1 Scab-Clan Charger
2 Spire Tracer
1 Wasteland Viper
1 Zhur-Taa Swine

9 Other Spells
---------------
2 Act of Treason
1 Clan Defiance
1 Furious Resistance
2 Massive Raid
1 Mugging
1 Shattering Blow
1 Wildwood Rebirth

Got a awesome gruul deck...If only this was made in a real pool

(btw it appears although the sealed pool gives the same packs sometimes due to the guy aboe me having almost the exact same deck...)

My Main Deck

1Adaptive Snapjaw
1Bomber Corps
1Boros Reckoner
1Cinder Elemental
1Disciple of the Old Ways
1Ember Beast
1Firefist Striker
2Foundry Street Denizen
1Ghor-Clan Rampager
1Giant Adephage
1Ruination Wurm
1Scab-Clan Charger
1Towering Thunderfist
1Wasteland Viper
1Zhur-Taa Swine

16 Creatures

7Forest
11Mountain
1Gruul Guildgate

19 Lands

2Act of Treason
1Clan Defiance
1Furious Resistance
1Mugging

5 Other Spells

I tried making this a Simic deck with Gruul splashed in.   I am new at this and if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them.

This Deck was built in 0:22:48

19 Lands
---------------
8 Forest
8 Island
2 Mountain
1 Gruul Guildgate

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Adaptive Snapjaw
1 Clinging Anemones
1 Cloudfin Raptor
1 Fathom Mage
1 Ghor-Clan Rampager
1 Giant Adephage
1 Sage's Row Denizen
1 Sapphire Drake
1 Shambleshark
1 Simic Fluxmage
2 Spire Tracer
1 Wasteland Viper

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Clan Defiance
2 Hands of Binding
1 Last Thoughts
1 Unexpected Results
1 Urban Evolution
1 Wildwood Rebirth

I was very tempted to go RUG (as I'm sure a lot of people above me did), but I personally prefer consistency, and I feel that Gruul would be more consistent.

This Deck was built in 0:08:42

17 Lands
---------------
8 Forest
8 Mountain
1 Gruul Guildgate

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Adaptive Snapjaw
1 Boros Reckoner
1 Cinder Elemental
1 Ember Beast
1 Firefist Striker
1 Ghor-Clan Rampager
1 Giant Adephage
1 Greenside Watcher
1 Millennial Gargoyle
1 Ruination Wurm
1 Scab-Clan Charger
1 Towering Thunderfist
1 Wasteland Viper
1 Zhur-Taa Swine

8 Other Spells
---------------
2 Act of Treason
1 Clan Defiance
1 Furious Resistance
2 Massive Raid
1 Mugging
1 Wildwood Rebirth

I hate to say, but i went simic, splashing only for clan defiance. Gruul just felt too stretched on cards, and fathom mage seem good with fluxmage and leyline phantom. The drake will help with killing the opponent and hands of binding can push through our creatures.

(for whatever reason, the thing isn't letting me get the list)

9 island
1 mountain
1 gruul guildgate
7 forest
1 clan defiance
3 hands of binding
1 unexpected results
1 urban evolution
1 adaptive snapjaw
3 clinging anemones
1 cloudfin raptor
1 fathom mage
1 greenside wathcer
1 leyline phantom
1 Sage's row denizen
1 spphire drake
1 scab-clan charger
1 shambleshark
1 simic fluxmage
2 spire tracer
1 wasteland viper
The bomb Boros almost forced me to go RW, but aside from the flyer & kitty, I was dissapointed by white.  Thought about Rg, but 2 Spire Tracer + Skyblinder Staff is a combo I've used a few times; works great.  1 Ruination Wurm had to be cut to make 40, but thought about adding Riot Gear to ensure I had something to play turn 2.  Easy to play:
Turn:
1: Spire/Gate/Staff
2: Creature, or Mugging the flyer/bomb 1-2 drop
3: Boros if you're lucky with land drops, else removal/Treason, then attack
4: Maybe hold back troops, & Bloodrush defenders, &/or use remoal attack+Bloodrush
5: Turn the mana tide, or drop beefy creatures.

so:
This Deck was built in 0:20:11

Total Deck Size: 41
17 Lands
---------------
6 Forest
9 Mountain
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Gruul Guildgate

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Adaptive Snapjaw
1 Bomber Corps
1 Boros Reckoner
1 Cinder Elemental
1 Ember Beast
1 Firefist Striker
1 Ghor-Clan Rampager
1 Giant Adephage
1 Greenside Watcher
1 Scab-Clan Charger
2 Spire Tracer
1 Wasteland Viper
1 Zhur-Taa Swine

9 Other Spells
---------------
2 Act of Treason
1 Clan Defiance
2 Frenzied Tilling
2 Massive Raid
1 Mugging
1 Skyblinder Staff
I actually made this when it was the new sealed draft. Red, green and a bit of white. The idea first was to use creatures to stall and have battalion creatures be useful as well as bloodrush. I intended to use massive raid and the big green cards Giant Adephage and Ruination Wurm as heavy hitters with a potential combo of using Murder Investigation on them. In this one I don't have the big green guys as I went all out on small creatures (most cards are one to three cmc), but I wonder whether this has got enough oomph.

This Deck was built in 0:53:07

19 Lands
---------------
5 Forest
10 Mountain
2 Plains
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Gruul Guildgate

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Bomber Corps
1 Boros Reckoner
1 Ember Beast
1 Firefist Striker
2 Foundry Street Denizen
1 Ghor-Clan Rampager
1 Greenside Watcher
2 Spire Tracer
1 Syndic of Tithes
1 Wasteland Viper
1 Zhur-Taa Swine

7 Other Spells
---------------
1 Act of Treason
1 Aerial Maneuver
1 Clan Defiance
1 Furious Resistance
2 Massive Raid
1 Murder Investigation

----------------------
----------------------

Here's one which has the big creature cards I mentioned above, and overall I'm more satisfied with this version.

This Deck was built in 2:23:01

19 Lands
---------------
7 Forest
10 Mountain
1 Boros Guildgate
1 Gruul Guildgate

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Bomber Corps
1 Boros Reckoner