Otuygh vs Giant Crab

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was thinking of having a scenario where the pc's stumble into two large monstous creatures battling each other.  Sort of a "clash of the titans" concept, where they have the option of joining in, watching, or passing by.. 
I want the two combatants to be feral beasts, and large or larger in size, interesting or unusual, and subterranian.  I'm personally looking for CRs below 7, but any creative or fun idea is worth mentioning.

I thought of otuygh vs Giant crab, but I'm wondering what other cool combinations of batting beasts might be out there.

I'd love to hear any suggestions.. Thanks!
T-rex and giant ape.

For any decision or adjudication, ask yourself, "Is this going to be fun for everyone?" and "Is this going to lead to the creation of an exciting, memorable story?"

DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  How to Adjudicate Actions  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

T-rex and giant ape.

+1

Similarly, T-Rex and Giant Moth 
FWIW [4e designer] baseline assumption was that roughly 70% of your feats would be put towards combat effectiveness, parties would coordinate, and strikers would do 20/40/60 at-will damage+novas. If your party isn't doing that... well, you are below baseline, so yes, you need to optimize slightly to meet baseline. -Alcestis
I actually really liked the idea behind "Hurly and Burly".  Two trolls that regenerate faster when they are near eachother.  The brothers hate eachother and constantly fight but know if they get too far from one another they will die.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Two chromatic great wyrms fighting over a single gold piece. Can the PCs get in close enough amid the carnage, roaring flames, and stinging acid clouds to snatch it right out from under them?

For any decision or adjudication, ask yourself, "Is this going to be fun for everyone?" and "Is this going to lead to the creation of an exciting, memorable story?"

DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  How to Adjudicate Actions  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

Two chromatic great wyrms fighting over a single gold piece. Can the PCs get in close enough amid the carnage, roaring flames, and stinging acid clouds to snatch it right out from under them?

+1

A hobo and a giant pigeon fighting over a scrap of food?  

Giant ape versus giant snake also is a pulp standby.
Two earth titans on either side of a town throwing orphanages at each other.

Why does this town have so many orphanages? Oh, right. Prickly earth titans.

Skeleton Giant vs. Giant Worm

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

Bulette vs. Giant Frost Hawk.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

A tsunami beaches a whale and a kraken who are now doing battle in the middle of a washed-out fishing village.

Inside the whale lives a clan of merfolk who are in a bad spot. 

Well, what sort of terrain/geography are we talking about? Seacoast, mountains, desert? That will somewhat determine the general choice of creatures from a thematic perspective...
 (Although, giant penguins beating up a giant jungle snake in the middle of a desert would be fascinating just for the wtf value, lol)

EDIT: Just noticed you said subterranean...

Scorpion or giant beetle works...
 Earwigs or centipedes...
 Purple worm, carrion crawler - actually a giant carrion crawler the size of a purple worm would scare the hell out of the average character, lol...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Tarrasque vs. Warforged Tarrasque
Sign In to post comments