mandalorian warrior style?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
1 minute ago by DDFANTIKZZZ
I'm starting a new campaing and I had this idea of a warrior with a large arsenal of weapons and huge bag of tricks to bestow countless effects to his opponents. He would be mainly ranged but could still keep up in a brawl.

I'm looking to see which class would best fit my concept. I've already taken a look at the executionner and the league of whispers but I'm not sure I like the blowgun thing. I like the idea of a bola but I think the net suits my concept better.

Anyway, if any of you has an idea please share?
It's more of a melee thing, but the Fighter's at-will Weapon Master's Strike delivers all sorts of effects on your target depending on the weapon you use. Most interesting are Mace for a slide and Spear/Polearm so the enemy is unable to shift away. 

If you want to go ranged, the Hunter's Clever Shot power lets you choose from 3 effects when you hit a target. Not a very good class though. 

And there's always the option of just taking a bunch of powers with different effects, then reflavoring your character to use a different weapon with each power he uses. Ranger has a pretty large assortment of ranged powers that do all sorts of coll stuff.

And there's always the option of just taking a bunch of powers with different effects, then reflavoring your character to use a different weapon with each power he uses. Ranger has a pretty large assortment of ranged powers that do all sorts of coll stuff.

Build yourself to mechanically use one thing, then refluff as needed.  Rain of Blows becomes you rapidly switching between weapons and leaving the first two in your targets, etc etc.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Maybe an Arena Fighter with Extended Arena Training?
Or if you want to  still use different weapons , take the Elemental Initiate Theme for Ki Focus and use that for your attack boost while being able to swap out whichever weapon you want without trying to keep multiple enhancements up-to-par.

+1

With Arena Fighting any weapon your proficient in, shares all the expertise bonuses you have accumulated.

So in theory (not sure very practical) you could have 5 starting proficient weapons, then buy buy the 5 corresponding expertise feats (which is the major draw back)

But then you could do BMAs that stacks a lot of different condition (Reach,Prone,Charge+,Rerols ext)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

+1

With Arena Fighting any weapon your proficient in, shares all the expertise bonuses you have accumulated.

So in theory (not sure very practical) you could have 5 starting proficient weapons, then buy buy the 5 corresponding expertise feats (which is the major draw back)

But then you could do BMAs that stacks a lot of different condition (Reach,Prone,Charge+,Rerols ext)

If you wanted to just get expertise rather than wasting all those feats you could get Master at Arms.  That would also help you with your goofy weapon swapping.
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
@Matyr

I think you misunderstood my intent (easy to do as I’m bad to not make it obvious)

If you’re an Arena Fighter, you get the benefits of all expertise with any weapon you are currently holding (as long as your proficient in it)

Meaning  if he took extended training he would be able to have 5 total expertise, note the + to attacks/dmg don’t stack (But still apply, meaning you only need one expertise as an Arena Fighter to get the + bonuses to all proficient weapons)

but the real magic is the extra stuff DOES apply.  (Here is an example of what I think are the best 5)

“Axe- Also, when rolling damage for a weapon attack you make with an axe, you can reroll one damage die that results in a 1, but you must use the second result

Spear- When charging, you also gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls of weapon attacks that you make with a spear. Both of these bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

Flail- In addition, when you hit with a melee weapon attack using a flail and the attack lets you slide the target, you can knock the target prone instead of sliding it.

Staff - When you make a melee weapon attack with a staff, the weapon’s reach for that attack increases by 1.

Bludgeon- You also gain a +1 feat bonus to the number of squares you push or slide creatures with weapon attacks you make with a hammer or a mace.”

Meaning if you had extended training and bought these 5 feats, you could wield any of the weapon and gain the benefits of all the expertise you have taken.

Ex- You have all the mentioned feats; you are wilding an axe.

That Axe now has Reach 1, can push things 1 extra (When applies) can knock prone when sliding, + charge damage, reroll 1s. These apply to any attack you make with that weapon.

I play an Arena fighter (no extended training)  with flail and staff expertise, so I can use my flail to hit things with reach 1, and then knock them prone (When using sliding attack (which I focused on))

1 minute ago by DDFANTIKZZZ I'm starting a new campaing and I had this idea of a warrior with a large arsenal of weapons and huge bag of tricks to bestow countless effects to his opponents. He would be mainly ranged but could still keep up in a brawl.

Bow or crossbow ranger with magic ammo, the Hunter Fighting Style (gives you quick draw AND a free action weapon stow), Archery Mastery (for Clever Shot), and Melee Training: Dexterity.  Or forget Melee Training, take Battle Caster's Defense (for a total of +8 AC vs opportunity attacks) or get a suit of Shadowdance Armor, and be a pure gunslinger.

@Matyr

I think you misunderstood my intent (easy to do as I’m bad to not make it obvious)

If you’re an Arena Fighter, you get the benefits of all expertise with any weapon you are currently holding (as long as your proficient in it)

Meaning  if he took extended training he would be able to have 5 total expertise, note the + to attacks/dmg don’t stack (But still apply, meaning you only need one expertise as an Arena Fighter to get the + bonuses to all proficient weapons)

but the real magic is the extra stuff DOES apply.  (Here is an example of what I think are the best 5)

“Axe- Also, when rolling damage for a weapon attack you make with an axe, you can reroll one damage die that results in a 1, but you must use the second result

Spear- When charging, you also gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls of weapon attacks that you make with a spear. Both of these bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

Flail- In addition, when you hit with a melee weapon attack using a flail and the attack lets you slide the target, you can knock the target prone instead of sliding it.

Staff - When you make a melee weapon attack with a staff, the weapon’s reach for that attack increases by 1.

Bludgeon- You also gain a +1 feat bonus to the number of squares you push or slide creatures with weapon attacks you make with a hammer or a mace.”

Meaning if you had extended training and bought these 5 feats, you could wield any of the weapon and gain the benefits of all the expertise you have taken.

Ex- You have all the mentioned feats; you are wilding an axe.

That Axe now has Reach 1, can push things 1 extra (When applies) can knock prone when sliding, + charge damage, reroll 1s. These apply to any attack you make with that weapon.

I play an Arena fighter (no extended training)  with flail and staff expertise, so I can use my flail to hit things with reach 1, and then knock them prone (When using sliding attack (which I focused on))

I understand what you are saying.  But spending 5 feats to get the riders for your expertise is just plain silly.  You have so many other better ways to go about doing something actually meaningful with your feats...

Edit: I guess if you picked as your arena weapons two weapons that have lots of types (gouge for spear/axe for example) you could work at getting them to crossover.  I just don't understand why  you would want to do that...
Show
Axe expertise sucks.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

I stated it was a major drawback having that many feats.

So I am in agreement that what I suggested is Not Good At All. Since you’re wasting more then 1/3ed of your feats on it. I honestly believe if you have more than 2 feats dedicated to weapon expertise, you’ve done something very, very wrong (and I’d only do 2 if I WAS an Arena fighter)

Just wanted to show the OP that things like that can be done within the mechanics (but never promised it would be efficient)

magic ammo

Really just this would probably do it. Play a good ranged class and use magic ammo. Some of them have some pretty neat effects. Maybe talk with your DM about adjusting wealth in a fair manner (or reclaiming a % of used ammo) so you don't just shoot all your gold away.
Seeker.  All sorts of "magical arrows".

Or possibly hybrid seeker for some more melee ability.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

What specific era of Mandalorian are you looking for, and are you talking about "Swapping weapons" as in swapping between many melee weapons, or swapping between different varieties of ranged weapons?
What specific era of Mandalorian are you looking for, and are you talking about "Swapping weapons" as in swapping between many melee weapons, or swapping between different varieties of ranged weapons?

the clone wars ..
Mandalorians as in the deathwatch

And swaping between melee and ranged

range gives effects
and melee takes advantage of the effects