White 1/1 Token Deck

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, after a few friends have persuaded me to begin magic, i tried to make my own deck :P. Normally we play multiplayer with 6 to 8 player.

Attended Knight and Cloudgoat Ranger bring new 1/1 Tokens. Sword of the Meek will be attached to them and Cathars' Crusade will make them a little bigger.

Later Sword of the Meek and Throne of Geth should make the creatures more bigger and maybe Inkmoth Nexus hit something before. Otherwise i can use them to proliferate ;).

Dust Elemental and Whitemane Lion are here to rescue creatures (maybe Nexus) and bring back the creatures for the tokens.

The Altar of Dementia is just a gimick if my tokens will be killed by something, so i can sacrifice them before.

The rest is for safety

thanks for your ideas and help if something should be really wrong
How are you making 1/1's? I know Attended knight can make 1/1's, but your deck is seriously lacking token producers. Would you be willing to add mobilization? Or maybe splash red for assemble the legion? Or even better, splash green for things like verdant embrace, aura shards, martial coup, etc.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
you are right. I think i have to focus more on token producers. verdant embrace and aura shards look very interesting. i'll try to make a white/green deck tomorrow
I think you have a few cards that don't really do much for you. The whole Throne of Geth + Sword of the Meek combo doesn't seem to fit -- you don't have much to proliferate, and the bonus of +1/+2 from the sword is rather insubstantial on the scale of a big multiplayer game. There are better uses for that deck space.

Altar of Dementia is similarly not doing very much for you -- since you're not trying to mill the opponents to death, grinding off a few cards doesn't accomplish anything. I think it can go, along with the other artifacts. That frees a total of seven new slots for more token production and utility spells.

You have the whole "enters the battlefield" theme, so maybe something like Conjurer's Closet, Erratic Portal, or Mimic Vat would be up your alley. Parallax Wave + Auramancer is also Fun Times.

You don't necessarily need to get beyond white to generate tokens, though green does have some great options available to it -- your call on whether or not the splash is worthwhile. But do consider additional Cloudgoats and Elspeths, along with Captain of the Watch, Stormfront Riders, Geist-Honored Monk, Mobilization, and Sacred Mesa

Mentor of the Meek could be amazing with the added token production, too.
This is really good for a first multiplayer deck: It's got a solid plan and most card are there for a good reason. So, I'll pick on the cards I don't think need to be here.

Serra's Blessing and Valor both don't really do a huge amount, in all honesty. Your creatures will most likely (if Cathar's Crusade sticks around) be large enough for First Strike to be irrelevant, and in any case tokens aren't really worth spending deck slots to protect. For Blessing, Vigilance just isn't generally important enough. It's a good ability when a creature has it, but it's not really worth a card (again, especially with a token strategy, in which it's usually easy to keep some blockers back). As Keino mentions, Mobilization is a more useful way to get the ability (although I find it's really to mana-intensive to be useful in most decks).

For token production, I think a good way would be to focus on the self-bouncing plan and include Stormfront Riders. I'd prefer to stay in White and use that than go into Green (bear in mind that you lose Verdant embrace if you bounce the creature attached to it).

In the bounce strategy, I might go with something like Conclave Phalanx over Congregate. Congregate is a powerhouse, but I think Phalanx provides enough life as well as a body and a reusable ETB ability. You can play it early and have a guy on the board, then bring it back later for a bigger life boost. Congregate will tend to sit in your hand for a long time, and I value the fact the Phalanx has a presence on the board while it waits to be bounced back for the big play. After all this, though, I see you have Soul Warden. She's stronger for lifegain (a lot stronger), but Phalanx is stronger in most other ways. I think either would be fine, but both would be overkill. In any case, Congregate can free up a couple of extra slots.

Ghostly Prison is another great multiplayer card, but I'm not sure this deck needs it. You're probably not looking to stall long-term, just to get to turn six or seven when you have enough creatures in play. Once you're making tokens, I don't really think it'll have a useful effect. Personally, I'd stick some creatures in for early defence (or just switch out for more Seal of Cleansing, because Auramancer will be great in this deck. Other options with Auramancer are Angelic Renewal, Aura of Silence and Promise of Bunrei, which I like a lot).

Angel's Grace really doesn't appear to do anything; it saves you from losing so you can lose next turn instead. Good for a mass-burn deck that would otherwise kill itself and cause a draw, but not really for much else.

The Throne of Geth/Sword of the Meek trick is strong, but I don't especially fancy it here. It's proliferating counters on creatures which are already getting tokens from Cathar's Crusade, or poison from Inkmoth Nexuses which don't really offer an alternate route to victory (if you can attack with creatures, you're already killing them with damage, and the Nexus is more likely to lose you games to mana screw than win them with Poison). I think the Infect component is the core of another deck in itself (although to make it work, more Thrones and maybe Ichor Wellspring and Ancient Den would make sure you don't draw one half of the Throne/Sword combo without the other). A lot of new players pick up on Infect as a potential alternate win, but it's not really a suitable plan B because it uses the same route to victory as plan A. Altar of Dementia is a plan B that will break through in the games that this deck might not otherwise have won. Really though, I doubt you'll need a plan B, and I'd personally drop the Altar. There aren't many reasonable board situations that this deck can't get out of, and if your group don't play Fountain Watch, Sterling Grove or Privileged Position you're probably going to find it's a dead card.

Oh, and, uh, a few more lands. 24 in 60 is the benchmark, and since you're planning to use self-bounce you'll always be able to spend it. You don't really want to get stuck on the way to five mana.

Okay, sorry for the long post. That was a lot of criticism for a deck that was already pretty good!
You could use kinsbaile borderguard with order of whiteclay to really churn out some kithkin tokens. Emeria, the Sky Ruin also sounds like it could work. I like how it is exponential if you do it each turn, just add a sac outlet like martyr's cause or fanatical devotion.

If you're intent on green, parallel lives and doubling season are worth looking at. I have a G/W token based deck that continuously wipes the board with things like hour of reckoning. I usually have plenty of tokens, so glare of subdual and seedborn muse is just mean. Nomads' assembly is also a fine token producer.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
thanks for your suggestions. I changed several cards and focused on the bounce/token idea.

for the early game i take doomed traveler. You pursuaded me, that Conclave Phalanx makes more sense in this deck than Congregate.
Besides i hope, that Promise of Bunrei and auramancer will work well. I read that if tokens are killed they first move to the graveyard before they are removed. So i can use them for the promise of bunrei?

One more question: can i copy Serra's Sanctum by Thespian's Stage or does it become a legendary land and so serra will be destroyed?
thanks for your suggestions. I changed several cards and focused on the bounce/token idea.

for the early game i take doomed traveler. You pursuaded me, that Conclave Phalanx makes more sense in this deck than Congregate.
Besides i hope, that Promise of Bunrei and auramancer will work well. I read that if tokens are killed they first move to the graveyard before they are removed. So i can use them for the promise of bunrei?

One more question: can i copy Serra's Sanctum by Thespian's Stage or does it become a legendary land and so serra will be destroyed?

Yes, tokens hit the graveyard before they're removed completely.

No, you can't use thespian's stage to copy serra's sanctum.

Murder investigation seems like it would be pretty cool. Maybe skull of orm to bring it back constantly, or use conjurer's closet to blink auramancer a bunch instead.