YMt3CM #3: A Contest for Designers Who Like to Play Magic

46 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/idiotic_puppy/YMt3CMbanner_zpseb9a2816.png)

Welcome to You Make the Three Card Magic, a weekly design contest I plan on running until I get sick of it.

To those of you unfamiliar with 3CM, it is a format that is exactly how it sounds: you use only three cards! I've attempted contests before that forced competitors to design for specific formats, but 3CM is ideal in its limited scope and precise quality with which criteria can be given. If you know how 3CM works, you can skip ahead to the contest rules. Otherwise...

How 3CM works
1. Each deck consists of exactly three cards. Any cards not banned in Vintage or by the 3CM banned list are allowed. Cards on the Vintage restricted list are allowed to be used in multiples.
2. Two deck types are disallowed:
- Decks that can force an opponent to remove two or more cards from his or her hand in a single turn.
- Decks that end the game before the opponent has had a full turn.
3. Each player starts the game with all 3 cards in their hand. Matches are played in two games with each deck getting a chance to play first. Perfect information is used to determine the outcome; that is, each player knows exactly what the other player's deck consists of and what choices can be made.
4. Players do not lose for drawing a card from an empty library. Draws are not skipped, though; if a card somehow gets into a library, it may be drawn or interacted with by ordinary Magic standards.
5. If a random choice is required, the opponent of that effect's owner chooses its outcome.
6. Cards outside the game don't exist. (i.e. Living Wish gets nothing.)
7. Players are awarded 3 points be game win, 1 per game tie, and 0 per game loss. The max score per match-up, therefore, is 6.

Contest Rules
Brief rules if you're in a hurry: 3cm is just Magic with only 3 cards. Decking is not a win-condition. Your job is to fulfill the design constraints below to make your own 3cm deck (usually only creating one card). Grading is based on quality of design and your deck's match-ups with 5 3cm decks of my choosing from 3cm history (everyone plays against the same decks).

1. Anyone may participate at any time. If I feel the need to limit submissions, I will say so.
2. Criteria is based on the 3CM format. You don't have to know the format intimately to partipate and do well, but there's a chance it could help. Here is a link to the thread Purple_Shrimp ran and one to the thread I'm currently running. Each contains spreadsheets with past rounds of the competition, including the decks themselves.
3. During each contest, I will give you an incomplete 3CM deck. Your goal is to design a card that works in that deck. Your card should look to exploit the 3cm format, but not break it.
4. Two scales will be used for grading. The first is the design scale.
- 4a. The design scale has a maximum score of 70 points: 30 points for Idea; 20 points for Flavor; and 20 points for Developemt.
- 4b. "Idea" measures the general creation of the card: the innovation, the fun, and so on.
- 4c. "Flavor" measures the theme of your card: the name, the concept, the extra parts tying it together.
- 4d. "Development" measures the balance of the card as though it were printed in a modern Magic set. Yes, the 3CM is better with the existence of  Black Lotus, but this is still a design contest that measures your understanding of the design process. So, keep that in mind; it will be at conflict with the other grading scale.
5. The second grading scale is the competition scale.
- 5a. The competition scale has a maximum score of 30 points. It involves using your design in a round of 3CM.
- 5b. Your deck will compete against 5 unnamed 3CM decks of my choosing as though playing an actual round of 3CM. Each participant in the contest plays against the same 5 decks.
6. The winner is the contestant with the highest combined score between both grades.

Previous Rounds
Round 1 - Scoresheet - Winner: silasw
Round 2Scoresheet - Winner: Ffancrzy

Contest #3: Twinsanity
The power of multiples can often work as good threat security in the 3CM format. Sometimes, it's just the viability of an extra good attacker. Other times, it's a card that bolsters itself in multiples. It's mostly an outlier strategy, but here's your chance to make it shine! Your deck will consist of a mana source and two copies of a single card you design. Recommended mana sources include Black Lotus, Mishra's Workshop, City of Traitors, but feel free to submit whatever fits your needs best.

mana source, [YOUR CARD], [SAME CARD]

Post your card and the mana source you intend to use it with in your 3cm deck.

Submissions will be accepted until Sunday, 3/10/13, 11:59 pm. Have fun!
Is it frowned upon to make cards that are too good in 3cm, or just normal magic? Say:

Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Sanity Abberation
Sanity Abberation

Sanity Abberation
Creature - Beast
Swampwalk
~ gets -1/-1 for each card in your library.
It's the void that fills your mind in times of despair.
8/8

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Undiscovered Paradise
Upweller Wisp
Upweller Wisp

Losestolanddestructionandhardcastaggro.dec

Upweller Wisp ()
Creature - Spirit

Landfall - When a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay to return Upweller Wisp and target permanent you don't control to their owner's hands.

1/1

Why would you want multiples? Well... to retry if the first gets killed. Also, if both survive, one can keep itself bouncing while the other attacks for the win.

Anyway, this should beat all Black Lotus decks instantly.
Having to collect multiple copies of the same card boosts sales

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
Is it frowned upon to make cards that are too good in 3cm, or just normal magic?

I'll try to hop on this as it happens, but any cards I feel I'd have to ban in 3cm I'll ask you to redesign. But that's a pretty high bar. This is a format, after all, where second turn kills are possible. Your card/deck doesn't meet the "OMG BAN" status in my eyes.
powerful cards are fun. broken cards are not

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
Is it frowned upon to make cards that are too good in 3cm, or just normal magic?

I'll try to hop on this as it happens, but any cards I feel I'd have to ban in 3cm I'll ask you to redesign. But that's a pretty high bar. This is a format, after all, where second turn kills are possible. Your card/deck doesn't meet the "OMG BAN" status in my eyes.

Well, okay, I'll submit it then. I wonder how good dorky aggro is.

Yxoque wrote:

Old Submission

We'll Trap Them in the Library!
Sorcery
Exile all permanents you control and your library, We'll Trap Them in the Library! deals 20 damage to target player.
Draw a card.

Yup, that looks like solid design work to me (That better get full flavor points). 

Ok, ok.

Crackling
Creature - Elemental
Sacrifice Crackling: Each player sacrifices a permanent.
1/1

"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Well, okay, I'll submit it then. I wonder how good dorky aggro is.

Depends on how the meta is swaying. Right now in our 3cm in MTG general, the meta has been shifting a lot, so it's hard to tell where exactly your deck should be.
1 x Ancient Tomb
2 x Darksteel Mine

Darksteel Mine
Artifact
~ is indestructible.
If a land would deal damage to you, instead it deals that much damage to target opponent.
, : Untap target land.
The mines not only prove to be a valuable resource, but also a safe haven from the elements.

scrapped designs

Darksteel Chimera
Artifact
~ is indestructible.
Tap all lands you control: ~ becomes a 0/1 Turtle Artifact creature until end of turn. It gets +3/+3 for each other creature named Darksteel Chimera on the battlefield. 

1 x Lion's Eye Diamond
2 x Mindrender Lich

Mindrender Lich
Creature - Zombie Wizard
~ is indestructible.
You may cast ~ from your graveyard if you have no cards in hand.
~ costs  less to cast for each card you discarded this turn.
When ~ enters the battlefield, if it was cast from your graveyard, target player discards a card.
3/2

1 x Lion's Eye Diamond
2 x Mindrender Lich

Mindrender Lich
Creature - Zombie Wizard
~ is indestructible.
When ~ enters the battlefield, if it was cast from your graveyard, target player discards a card.
3/2

As a heads up, it's illegal to force an opponent to discard more than one card each round.

Yxoque wrote:

Mishra's workshop PLUS 2x
[spoiler submission]
Lodestone Scepter
Artifact
: ~ deals one damage to target player for each ~ you control.
Nonartifact spells cost more to cast.

[/spoiler]

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
damn i just realize my design is probably banned.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
damn i just realize my design is probably banned.

No, it's fine. I can think of a handful of decks that beat it. That says nothing about my design critiques, though.
Mishra's Workshop

Vein Vassal

Artifact Creature-Construct
Defender
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that opponent gets a poison counter.
Phyrexia's army is a troupe of seconds, fought on the battleground of inevitability.

0/4
Mishra's Workshop

Rusted Rackling 

Artifact Creature-Construct
Defender
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, Rusted Rackling deals X damage to that player, where X is 3 minus the number of cards in his or her hand. 
0/3

You can't win with this deck. At the best, you can draw by having your opponent just not do anything.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)

1 x Lion's Eye Diamond
2 x Mindrender Lich

Mindrender Lich
Creature - Zombie Wizard
~ is indestructible.
3/2

As a heads up, it's illegal to force an opponent to discard more than one card each round.

I concur with this assesment. There are a few extra rules to remember in 3cm, so I'll hopefully be able to tackle them as they arrive. To note: the card itself isn't banned, but any deck that can force a player to discard more than one card in a turn is. Because of the restriction in this round to create the same card twice, this specific card wouldn't be allowed.

is it banned if the mana source does other things besides mana? could I run inkmoth nexus, for instance?

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
is it banned if the mana source does other things besides mana? could I run inkmoth nexus, for instance?

Sure, you can run Inkmoth. But you can't run Dark Depths, Maze of Ith, or Sorrow's Path.

Sure, you can run Inkmoth. But you can't run Dark Depths, Maze of Ith, or Sorrow's Path.

yes, I am aware of the definition of "mana source"

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Black Lotus
Lin-Kar, the Constant
Lin-Kar, the Constant

Lin-Kar, the Constant |
Legendary Creature - Human Mystic
Haste
Grandeur - , Discard another card named Lin-Kar, the Constant: Destroy all permanents that entered the battlefield this turn.
She has things exactly the way she likes them.
3/2
Black Lotus
Reaper Parasite
Reaper Parasite

Reaper Parasite
Creature - Insect Horror
As an additional cost to cast ~, discard a creature card.
When ~ enters the battlefild, if it was cast, each player sacrifices a creature. Otherwise, each player sacrifices a non-creature permanent.
, exile a card from your graveyard: return ~ to the battlefield tapped.
"They're the only thing that can cheat death. Probably by killing it." - Shun'kufg, Necromage
1/1

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
if actvity drags to a halt and time permits, I may close and grade this early. Not likely before the weekend, though.
With Mishra's Workshop:

Brain Parasite

Artifact Creature - Insect
When Brain Parasite enters the battlefield, target player discards a card. If that player didn't discard this way, he or she sacrifices a permanent.
2/1
Black Lotus

Twin Dawn Esperian  
Artifact Creature- Human Cleric 
Whenever " " etb or dies, return target artifact card  from your graveyard to your hand. 
Sacrifice " "- Exile target artifact or enchantment.
"That which not pure is not eternal. It must fade, like fog, into the skies of the ephermal; while we, e constants, are the rocks of the earth: never dying, never changing, always the same."
2/1

Esper has no need of clerics.
"The noble work of our order is to infuse all life on Esper with etherium. Our goal will be reached more rapidly if new life is . . . suppressed."
Mishra's Workshop
Golem Spirit Guide
Golem Spirit Guide

Golem Spirit Guide -
Exile Golem Spirit Guide from your hand: Add to your mana pool.
Self-autonomous artifacts may not have a soul, but some believe that they do, and some even believe in a supernatural power that determines the fate of their souls.
2/4
"The noble work of our order is to infuse all life on Esper with etherium. Our goal will be reached more rapidly if new life is . . . suppressed."

I said has no need of clerics, not has no clerics.

I said has no need of clerics, not has no clerics.

Wink
Dryad Arbor
Might of the Land
Might of the Land

Might of the Land

Enchantment-Aura

Enchant Land Creature

Enchanted Land Creature gets +2/+3.
If enchanted creature has another enchantment on it, it gains Vigilance and Trample.

Gatherer: If the enchanted land creature stops being either of those types, Might of the Land is sent to the graveyard. ((Needs to be technically worded, but still is fine.))
56544366 wrote:
If a card works well in Standard, does fun but not totally broken things in Modern, and gets stupid in Legacy, I call that designing for everyone's enjoyment.
1x swamp

2x Darkwater Faerie

Darkwater Faerie
creature - faerie
Flash
When Deepwater Faerie leaves the battlefield put a -1/-1 counter on target creature
Evoke
1/1

Don't be too smart to have fun
Leaving this open at least unil I return from the movies. Possibly grading this evening.
Eh...I like Crackling, but it actually doesn't play nice with others, so instead lets go with...

Peat Bog
Pustulous Vermin
Pustulous Vermin

Pustulous Vermin
Creature - Rats
Madness
Hellbent - When Pustulous Vermin enters the battlefield, each player discards a card, if you have no cards in hand, each player sacrifices a permanent instead.
1/1
Long after the Plague had passed into history, Arnethion culture still considered rats to be courriers for demons that stole peoples minds and inhabited their bodies.

Kind of like modal Smallpox! with no choices. First you discard down, else you sacrifice things, otherwise you are probably going to end up with life loss. 

Rotting Rats tells me this is about right powerwise. However, it might be a little strong for 3CM, and if so, use this version.
Lesser of two evils

Swamp
Pustulous Vermin
Pustulous Vermin

Pustulous Vermin
Creature - Rats
Madness
When Pustulous Vermin enters the battlefield, each player discards a card.
1/1
Long after the Plague had passed into history, Arnethion culture still considered rats to be courriers for demons that stole peoples minds and inhabited their bodies.

Now it just 3-3s pretty much every deck ever.

Edit: Awwww man, I didn't see Silasw's entry until just now, and it makes me sad. I'm also too lazy to change mine, so just trust me when I say I didn't rip my design off. I think my earlier entry of Crackling kind of shows where I was coming from, and I think the designs feel remarkably different anyways, so yeah, you deal with it.
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Mishra's Workshop
Golem Spirit Guide
Golem Spirit Guide

Golem Spirit Guide -
Exile Golem Spirit Guide from your hand: Add to your mana pool.
Self-autonomous artifacts may not have a soul, but some believe that they do, and some even believe in a supernatural power that determines the fate of their souls.
2/4

Pssst...Typeline
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Eh...I like Crackling, but it actually doesn't play nice with others, so instead lets go with...

Peat Bog
Pustulous Vermin
Pustulous Vermin

Pustulous Vermin
Creature - Rats
Madness
Hellbent - When Pustulous Vermin enters the battlefield, each player discards a card, if you have no cards in hand, each player sacrifices a permanent instead.
1/1

Kind of like modal Smallpox! with no choices. First you discard down, else you sacrifice things, otherwise you are probably going to end up with life loss. 

Rotting Rats tells me this is about right powerwise. However, it might be a little strong for 3CM, and if so, use this version.
Lesser of two evils

Swamp
Pustulous Vermin
Pustulous Vermin

Pustulous Vermin
Creature - Rats
Madness
When Pustulous Vermin enters the battlefield, each player discards a card.
1/1

Now it just 3-3s pretty much every deck ever.

Edit: Awwww man, I didn't see Silasw's entry until just now, and it makes me sad. I'm also too lazy to change mine, so just trust me when I say I didn't rip my design off. I think my earlier entry of Crackling kind of shows where I was coming from, and I think the designs feel remarkably different anyways, so yeah, you deal with it.

As soon as I saw the format, that was my exact idea for an entry. (Your new one that is.) Good to know I'm not the only one who thought of it. However, your version of the card is illegal. More than one discard a turn.
Peat Bog as my mana source.

Mind-muddler Mage
Creature - Human Wizard
If you cast ~ for its madness cost, each opponent discards a card.
Discard ~ from your hand and pay 5 life: Return target non-land permenant or spell to it's owners hand.
Madness 
The true agents of Dimir strike from the shadows making people forget the things they never thought their minds, or hands, held.
1/1
Round 3 Spreadsheet

Comments

Mown
- That's some Uber-Johnny sauce. But the achievement seems horribly difficult to achieve compared to Death's Shadow, which is tough but useable. The flavor is okay, though the name falls rather awkwardly off the tongue. I like the idea of using the library as a resource, but as a status definer it's got its awkwardnesses.

Esterdi
- Let's start by comparing this to a bunch of similar cards. This effect either costs you 3 mana + an initial 3 mana inventsement, tapping 3 creatures + an initial 3 mana investment, or 2 mana + sacrificing a permanent + an initial 3 mana investment. The card is just too cheap, even with the sorcery timing and condition of needing a land and limit to things you don't control. I know that's a lot of "ands", but it's still a menace that threatens to lock an opponent on one land. Really, saying "non-land" would be worlds of help to it. I'm not feeling the green inclusion at all.

SimonGlume
- Replacement effects can't target like this. Just make it "each opponent" and that solves most of the problem. This is a weird card. Indestructiblity is the something that I want to see cut from the card. They slap that on darksteel stuff that has room for it, and this really doesn't. Otherwise, it's sort of a neat card, half sideboard tech against manlands, half combo piece. I'd make it cost more (and possibly redesign it); it's a fringe card, but when it's good, it's annoyingly so. Obviously, you couldn't really do that given the challenge, but that's still a critique to be made.

theatog
- Actually, I totally misread your card when I said it was acceptible. It fits the same trouble areas as Lodestone Golem does, and probably should have been disallowed on that merit alone. That said, Lodestone seems like a card that could potentially come off the list someday anyway, and I already gave the okay. The name convention seems a bit unnecessary. That card is already combining multiple abilities to make one super-card. No need to make it more complex. This also misses some of the elegance that Lodestone Golem had. Slapping the ability on a creature just looks neat; slapping it on an artifact with another random ability is sort of a head scratcher.I also can't imagine that guy carrying a scepter. Might as well have been a helm, since that fits better flavor in two different areas.

turnip_song
- Hmmm... fairly simple, rather deadly. I think something more interesting can come from this model. Like, "At the beginning of each opponent's end step, if Vein Vassal didn't block a creature that player controls, he or she gets a poison counter." Not that your version is bad; I just feel that the idea of a wall that kills someone might want more reason why. I do think it's a cute little bugger.

Imidazoline
- While I like the ability and the design in general, I'm not entirely sold on the Grandeur activation. In normal Magic, black destroying artifacts and enchantments, even in this capacity, seems a bit radical. In 3cm, you'd never get to attack except against those decks that can't beat a 3/2; or rather, you'd never get to use the ability. Limit it to just creatures and you have a fine card, though one that still has troubles in 3cm. I do like the overall picture, though.

Fenix.
- A bit patched together, wouldn't you say? It feels very built for 3cm and looks more ugly as a design because of it. The additional cost is the part that sticks out most. The other two abilities play perfectly fine with each other, but that additional cost is there only to reduce the initial price. I suppose you could argue that it fuels the graveyard ability, but it still seems unneccessary overall. After that, black doesn't really force the sacrifice of non-creature permanents in this fasion. I did chuckle at your flavor text. As for 3CM, enters the battlefield removal tends not to work that well; the opponent can always choose to do nothing on his/her turn.

silasw
- Definitely working overtime, this little bugger. It's a neat ability, snacking on hands til there's nothing left, then finding other munchies to munch. Reminds me of Scot Westerfeld's book "Peeps". I would have like a better explored flavor; if we're talking artificial parasites, calling it "brain parasite" and giving us nothing else stops the story much too shorter. I mean... are they nano-machines?

SuperSpawnWrithe
- Why is one half of it so artifact oriented, and the other half artifact or enchantment? Sorta off-sets the symmetry. This is also a wildly powerful card recycler. Compare to Leonin Squire which is only a mana less. Ya, it's less color intensive, but your card feels over-intensive for what it does and should probably just cost more. My real suggestion is to cut the enchantment removal and cut half of the trigger. The flavor text is missing a letter here and there which messes with the poetic rumble. Otherwise I like it, though I don't feel it strongly connecting with the card as a whole.

EpicLevelCommoner
- 1 free mana on turn 1 is abusable. 2 free mana is just scary. I think it would cause problems in modern formats to the point it'd need to be banned. There are perhaps restrictions you could put on the mana ala Mishra's Workshop, but unless those were severe, it'd still be a colossaly good speedy play. The flavor's a bit awkward, but is tiddied up by the italics to the point that, even though I'm not a big fan of the concept, I think it works well.

Habreno
- Cute. There's a reason Earth Surge is a global enchantment, though: there are very few ways to have land creatures in that combined state permanently. I suppose you could make a set where that's less true, put in Dryad Arbor type cards and Zendikons, but it's still very niche. I actualy think the "another aura" bit is cute, since one of the main ways this will work is with Zendikons. So, a lot of cuteness to go around: that, I suppose, is my review.

morticianjohn
- Hmmm... can a -1/-1 counter be free? Probably not. Or rather, it should cost at least as much as Gut Shot, which was clearly quite playable. Flash isn't really a black mechanic. Even in Lorwyn, with the faerie tribe having some mechanical basis on flash timing, didn't have flash creatures beyond Offalsnout. Yes, yours obviously lives in the same environment, but the need isn't equivalent. In the end, this card is just way better than Festering Goblin in every way, and I don't really see why it should be.

Dr_Demento
- I believe you when you say you didn't see silasw's entry. While I enjoy the simplicity of his version, I'm excited by the theme and connections of yours. I'd say your madness cost shouldn't be free; this has more impact on the board than Basking Rootwalla. seems like a solid place to have gone. I think the flavor is rather good, with all the parts connecting in a fun and festering way.

verdek
- Why does black get bounce and countering? Hybrid as a tool allows for bleeds more than anything, but this isn't a bleed as much as it's an outright color violation. The discard ability also screams of the phyrexian mana problem. It's also pretty worthless on its own; you'd never cast this for its mana cost. And when does the first ability occur? As you cast it? As an ETB trigger? Lots of problems with this design and the wording makes it impossible to judge the games, hence the non-scores. Sorry I didn't catch it earlier, otherwise I would have notified you.

Well, grading those matches looks like a really fun job. It seems to me like Imi's deck should lose to Chronomaton/Daze on the draw, because it needs its Lotus. I'm not sure I want to touch most of these matchups.
I'm considering retiring this contest. I'm finding that the restraints don't suit design skills as well as I would have liked them to. A number of entries from all three rounds were hellbent on defeating the field, and I have to say that they weren't always wrong to do so. It might just be a hard thing to separate from, especially in a format where many of the cards used are among the most overpowered ever printed.

Anyway, if there's still interest, I'll continue, but I feel that maybe this just doesn't bring out the design strengths in my fellow card creators. 
I think all that's fine, although I would also expect things to get repetitive soon unless you have some really interesting ideas for criteria. I would honestly have been stumped for new criteria after the first one.