CA for a Sorceror

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
What's the best way to get Combat Advantage as a Storm Sorcerer ? Wielding daggers as an implemnt so looking to capitalise on light blade expertise ?

Any and all ideas welcome
LBE only works on weapon attacks.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Yep. LBE is weapon attacks with your light blade only. However, Nimble Blade is all attacks made with a dagger, so combat advantage is still that little bit of extra awesome for you.

The group my sorcerer's in has a slowspamming defender and two warlocks so I took Vicious Advantage, if you have any helpers to do that for you it's an easy enough way to grab CA.

If you're a sorcerer being all you can be, you'll also be in melee, so there's the old fashioned way of flanking with your buddies for CA.

Superior Reflexes isn't a bad grab for you either, so you can just have CA on everything during your Nova turn (very nice for opening with Furious Bolts if you're a Lightning Fury).

Ask an Invoker to daze things for you.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Be a Drow with Cloud of Darkness, pick up Superior Reflexes. Three rounds of CA is usually all you need.
Distant advantage?
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Distant advantage?

Don't recommend it. There is a usually a hole between two PC's where the monster used to be flanked by the time your turn comes around, and it's rarely worth holding for a flank to happen. Unpredictable initiative and immediate actions mess with flanking a lot. And there are so many CA tools by paragon, people rarely try to flank anything.
Uhm, by Paragon everyone has a Warlord so everyone wins init
Cunning Stalker usually works well.  Sure, it's situational, but it's a pretty common situation.
Fey Beast Tamer is always an option.
 I multiclassed my halfling Storm Sorcerer as a Rogue and really wanted to get to use my once an encounter sneak attack. So I took Vistani Heritage Feat. Evil eye for the win!
Sooo... 2 feats, once per encounter 2d6 to a single target?

Perhaps implement focus would have been easier? 
Only one feat extra. I was going to multiclass rogue regardless. Thievery skill, sneak attack, access to great martial feats, etc
Can you post the build? And if you are going to be with a party, can you post that too? Because it really depends... If you are heavy on defenses, Mark of Storm & Deadly Draw work well... if you don't have another striker, but have two melee PCs (say a defender and leader), Distant Advantage might work...  Otherwise, I like Mengu's idea... just be a drow w/ superior reflexes.

Another benefit from CA is subtle blade for your daggers... best way for sorc's to get an item bonus to damage (imho)...
Having your Item bonus come from your weapon comes at too high an opportunity cost once you get past the levels where you can viably have all of your attacks deal the same damage type natively (ie. once you hit level 7 it's not worth it, which it being questionable at 5th). Basically, Superior Implement is worth 2/3/4, hotec Focus is worth -/3/4, and the weakest element that's actually optimizable (fire) is worth +1 hit, you lose all that on any power that lacks your chosen keyword. It's not the end of the world, but it makes Subtle/SoR vs Lightning/Frost a choice between being good with every power, or being better with a couple.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
best way for sorc's to get an item bonus to damage (imho)...

Or, since you need to be in melee to keep up with damage anyway, you can take Iron Armbands of Power and get an item bonus on everything except your area attacks. Leaves your weapon enchant open for an element. Which I hear is somewhat important for strikers.
A radiant weapon is a perfect reasonably way to get your item bonus to damage.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
best way for sorc's to get an item bonus to damage (imho)...

Or, since you need to be in melee to keep up with damage anyway, you can take Iron Armbands of Power and get an item bonus on everything except your area attacks. Leaves your weapon enchant open for an element. Which I hear is somewhat important for strikers.

i've always played sorcerers as spamming multi-target attacks... haven't seen any compelling melee sorc. builds (not saying they're not out there, just havent seen em). But if you go melee, I would just focus on storm mobility powers and get CA via flanking...

@Fardiz- Agreed radiant weapon ain't bad, especially if you're going radiant mafia party

but, @Fardiz & Zathris- Storm sorc focusing on lightning and/or thunder powers can get item bonus w. subtle, stick with blue+ powers and still spam lightning/thunder elemental damage via shards etc... may not be the BEST option, but very viable imo 
The Sorc guide is terrible because it glosses over the fact that while being completely optimized for doing thunder damage, Explosive Pyre, Flame Spiral, and Chains of Fire are still better than any other encounter power you could choose aside from your cluster/forced movement enabler of choice. Isolating your top 2 powers out of your chosen keyword support is just dumb.

It's worth sacrificing an Item Bonus to damage rolls on your already lightning powers to gain Mark of Storm, Dragonshard, Lightning Soul, Lightning Field, Promise of Storm, and the Lancing Property on the other half of your powers. Ok, you also lose the option for Resounding Thunder, which would normally affect all of 2 dailies. Meh. The difference, especially with MoS on the table, is being a 1+ KPR striker or not.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Sign In to post comments