[DGM] Ruric Thar, the Unbowed

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
All we have is the named and the art, but Ruric Thar has been confirmed as the Gruul champion by the Spectrum awards.

For those not in the know, Ruric Thar featured in both the Secretist part 1 and 2.
He's a two-headed Ogre that Jace hired to bust up his workshop when he's worried that he knows to much.
One head is named Ruric, and the other is Thar.
One of their hands has been replaced by an axe, and when Jace tries to mindread him (them?) he gets psychic backlash suggesting that he is highly resistant to telepathy.

Is the name and art enough to start a ICD?

art:
Card is 
Show

4RG
Rare
reach, vigilance  
Attacks each turn if able
WHenever a player casts a non-creature spell, Ruric Thar deals 6 damage to that player.
6/6

It isn't Narbulg, Nine Fingers.  D=

Still, cool art.  Hope he's got a reasonable cmc, but since it's Gruul, that seems unlikely. 
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
Uncounterable? Protection from blue? Maybe "Spells and abilities your opponents control can't cause them to look at or search cards in your hand or you to reveal them."?

Two heads? Maybe it can't be blocked except by two or more creatures, but I'm generalizing a bit too much here.
A more elaborate explanation of Ruric's role in the story can be found in Jace's RTR story section.

He could have double strike, as trample is less likely thanks to Borborygmos. I wonder if the Champions will care about guild colors again?

This is guessing what his card will look like, so Wizards employees may wish to avert their eyes
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Legendary Creature - Ogre Warrior
Double strike
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, look at the top card of your library. If it's a red and/or green creature card, you may reveal it and put it into your hand, otherwise put it on the bottom of your library.
3/3

A more elaborate explanation of Ruric's role in the story can be found in Jace's RTR story section.

He could have double strike, as trample is less likely thanks to Borborygmos. I wonder if the Champions will care about guild colors again?

This is guessing what his card will look like, so Wizards employees may wish to avert their eyes
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Double strike
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, look at the top card of your library. If it's a red and/or green creature card, you may reveal it and put it into your hand, otherwise put it on the bottom of your library.
3/3

It would be really awesome if it was on attack trigger, so that you could draw a bloodrush creature and use it.
I play for fun
If they are caring about the colors, they would do last block's gig of the effect duplicating for multicolored cards.

But I hope the cycle is very loose.
I think hexproof.
Legendary gruul ogre? I hope his manacosts isn't something stupid like . xD
Who else thinks this is going to be similar to two-headed dragon

If they follow the patern from last block he'll only have 2 coloured symbols in his mana cost, Borborygmos (leader)->Ulasht, the Hate Seed (champion), except for the Azorius who had theirs reversed they all followed the pattern.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
So, based on how he's depicted in the Secretist, I'd say he's something like:

3RG

Trample
Whenever ~ becomes the target of an instant or sorcery spell an opponent controls, you may change the targets of that spell.
4/4 
My guess...

Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Double strike
Ruric Thar can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.
Whenever Ruric Thar deals combat damage to a player, you may destroy target artifact that player controls.
3/3

Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Double strike
3/3

It would be really awesome if it was on attack trigger, so that you could draw a bloodrush creature and use it.

The combat damage trigger combined with double strike allows it to potentially trigger twice in a row.

My guess...

Show
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Double strike
Whenever Ruric Thar deals combat damage to a player, you may destroy target artifact that player controls.
3/3

If RTR had been released adjacent to Scars of Mirrodin, I could have seen this happening. But now that artifacts are back to normal levels of relevancy, I think it would be a waste of a legendary card to simply focus on artifact destruction. At the very least it could be "destroy target artifact or enchantment" to help bust up GoST aura decks. By the way, it'd be a good idea to use sblock tags to help separate this from YMTC for the employees' sake.

I personally would prefer a card that synergizes with the mechanic or at least the colors. One thing I like about Ghost Council of Orzhova and Teysa, Orzhov Scion is how well they work in tandem with Haunt, allowing you to sac both creatures with haunt and haunted creatures and since you'd have access to a fair number of WB creatures, you'd get additional spirits from Teysa as you sac them. Aurelia, the Warleader likewise compliments Battalion by giving you an extra combat phase each turn, giving your Battalion abilities an extra chance to fire off.

He's probably lighter costed than Borborygmos and hopefully more constructed playable. And if not then at least make him a good commander for EDH

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

From how you guys have described him in the books, I'm going to guess hexproof or pro-blue.
Show

Ruric Thar
Legendary Creature - Giant
Hexproof
~ can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.
4/4
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
I'm hoping for something more like this.
Show
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
If Ruric Thar, the Unbowed would deal damage to a creature or player, it deals double that damage to that creature or player instead.
: Ruric Thar fights target creature.
3/6
Rules Advisor
Sure, I'll play
Show

:RG::RG::RG::R::G:

5/5

Cyclops Gladiator + Thorn Elemental
Guys, we know that his casting cost only has two coloured symbols; when RTR was released and people asked where the one-of-each-colour-mana-Guild-Champions were, we were told to wait until Gatecrash. If Ruric is confirmed as the Guild Champion, he'll be N.

In the books, he's described as having some enchantment on him such that whenever Jace or other guildmages try to use a spell on him, it bounces off him and hits the caster instead. That could be represented by Hexproof, or some other Fork or Wild Ricochet effect, or some other thing like that.

Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Double strike
3/3

The combat damage trigger combined with double strike allows it to potentially trigger twice in a row.

My guess...

Show
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Double strike
3/3

If RTR had been released adjacent to Scars of Mirrodin, I could have seen this happening. But now that artifacts are back to normal levels of relevancy, I think it would be a waste of a legendary card to simply focus on artifact destruction. At the very least it could be "destroy target artifact or enchantment" to help bust up GoST aura decks. By the way, it'd be a good idea to use sblock tags to help separate this from YMTC for the employees' sake.

I personally would prefer a card that synergizes with the mechanic or at least the colors. One thing I like about Ghost Council of Orzhova and Teysa, Orzhov Scion is how well they work in tandem with Haunt, allowing you to sac both creatures with haunt and haunted creatures and since you'd have access to a fair number of WB creatures, you'd get additional spirits from Teysa as you sac them. Aurelia, the Warleader likewise compliments Battalion by giving you an extra combat phase each turn, giving your Battalion abilities an extra chance to fire off.

Yes, but there have been a weird amount of cards dealing wtih artifacts in this set. (see those two mythic rair dragons.)
Two? Only Artifacts matter dragon I know of in RTR is Hellkite Tyrant. The other mythic dragon is Utvara Hellkite.

Two? Only Artifacts matter dragon I know of in RTR is Hellkite Tyrant. The other mythic dragon is Utvara Hellkite.

Is there not another? oops. Sorry. But my point still stands. (though i dont actualy think ruric thar will have that ability.)

It'd be , judging by Bant Sureblade and Marisi's Twinclaws, but yeah. That defeats the purpose of hybrid anyway.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
And be uglier than sin, besides...
It's not an ICD if there ain't no actual card DAAAAAMN

Individual Card Discussion can't you REED
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.

Individual Card Discussion can't you REED

Which card are we discussing, though? All I see is a name and some art.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if name and art was enough to go off of.
Turns out it's not.
Sorry bout that folks.  
Yeah, I wasn't sure if name and art was enough to go off of.
Turns out it's not.
Sorry bout that folks.  

Dont worry, we still love you.
<3

Yeah, I missremembered the ICD rules.
I thought it was fine to make one with partial information, but that's only true for rules text, not name and art.
Whoopsie doodle.
Apparently Ruric-Thar has just been shown at PAX East as:

Ruric-Thar, the Unbowed 4GR
Legendary Creature - Ogre Warrior (R)
Vigilance, reach.
Must attack.
Whenever anyone plays a noncreature spell, they take 6.

6/6

EDIT: Confirmed as Rare not Mythic. 
The card was spoiled at PAX, uploaded to first post.

Can this become an ICD now? 
I for one am very glad that cavern of souls continues to be a card.

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012 Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Cool card though not really my thing.
Hey, so... Somewhat expensive and quite powerful. Vigilance seems a bit bizarre on RG, but I kinda like how it works (one head attacks, one blocks). Would not have thought of the spell-reflection like this.

Massive beast in EDH, for real.
This is possibly constructed playable. Resolving this in a naya midrange deck in standard probably wins you the game seeing they have to kill themselves to answer it. I'm pretty down with this but 6 is pretty costly. Fun card. 
Ruric Thar, the Unbowed

1) 6 is a bit expensive, but not horribly so
2) 6/6 for 6 is weak...but add vigilance...add reach...AND 6 direct damage
3) A bit tricky if you've taken some hits to get him out and maintain a "counter" action (versus chaff)

Q1) There must have been something similar (not necessarily 6 damage).  Anyone?  The damage on casting a non-creature?
Q2) How about the damage with a truly functional creature? 

Ruric Thar, the Unbowed

1) 6 is a bit expensive, but not horribly so
2) 6/6 for 6 is weak...but add vigilance...add reach...AND 6 direct damage
3) A bit tricky if you've taken some hits to get him out and maintain a "counter" action (versus chaff)

Q1) There must have been something similar (not necessarily 6 damage).  Anyone?  The damage on casting a non-creature?
Q2) How about the damage with a truly functional creature? 

6/6 with Vigilance and Reach isn't bad for 6, not to mention an ability that is relevant the turn he is played (since even if they have instant speed removal they take 6).

The only thing that makes me iffy about this guy is that he screams to be ramped into, yet he works against all the non-creature ramp in standard. After you ramp out to him you may not need to keep ramping, but all your ramp spells turning into dead draws still kind of sucks, as does losing out on the extra ramp for Wolf Run.

"I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am a God."
Just give him lifelink and cast whatever you want?
why do we have 2 threads for this guy?

~Your either my puppet or my matchstick~

color preferences (1st is fav and so on):

198732583 wrote:
Oh Ajani seems to like Elpheth's milk, meow.
why do we have 2 threads for this guy?

Two heads, two threads.

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)