Dragon's Maze champions, confirmation and speculation (+Gruul champion confirmed)

347 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think this deserves its own thread.
So, in case you don't know, each Guild is to choose a champion to compete for the Dragon's Maze.

We have two confirmed thus far;

Selensya, Emmara Tandris
Gruul, confirmed by the Spectrum awards    

Judging by inference, I'm willing to bet that the following will be true

Izzet, Ral Zarek (no one knows he's a walker)
Rakdos, Bloodwitch Exava

Any other guess or speculation?
If anyone finds confirmation or strong suggestion elsewhere, this is the thread to discuss it.

Edit: adding HD champ art when available
Mirko

Teysa

Melek
Show

Exava

Tajic

Lavinia

Varolz

Emmara

Varol

Trailer: www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a... 
I think this deserves its own thread.
So, in case you don't know, each Guild is to choose a champion to compete for the Dragon's Maze.

We have two confirmed thus far;

Selensya, Emmara Tandris
Gruul, confirmed by the Spectrum awards    

Judging by inference, I'm willing to bet that the following will be true

Izzet, Ral Zarek (no one knows he's a walker)
Rakdos, Bloodwitch Exava

Any other guess or speculation?
If anyone finds confirmation or strong suggestion elsewhere, this is the thread to discuss it.    

With how much we're seeing Vosk I'd say he's the Dimir one.

"The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

Rakdos, Bloodwitch Exava

But... but... Massacre Girl...

And of course, the Azorius guild champion can be no other than Fblthp.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Rakdos, Bloodwitch Exava

But... but... Massacre Girl...

Maybe she is Massacre Girl, which is her secret identity.

By day, she is a bloodwitch in a bar killing people. But, at night, she's.... a bloodwitch killing people outside!
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
Oh my god I really want Fblthp to have something to do with dragon's maze, I mean wizards even made an entire short story about him so any kind of cameo would be awesome.  Also Ruric Thar seems cool but are you sure it's not going to be Domri Rade? 
Arrester Lavinia seems like she's been set up to be the Azorius Champion.

There's a serious problem with Ral being Izzet champion, and that IS the fact he's a walker. We're very likely going to see the champion cycle at rare rather than mythic rare. Now, I'm not saying it's confirmed, but the number crunch shows that rare legendaries are just more likely.
Anyways, the problem here is that if they make a legendary cycle, it's unfair to the Izzet that they have to choose between having a mythic rare walker or a champion when other guilds such as the Golgari and Gruul get BOTH in the block.

Don't the Izzet already have Niv-Mizzet? maybe I'm misunderstanding the question...

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

Don't the Izzet already have Niv-Mizzet? maybe I'm misunderstanding the question...

Niv is their guild leader.
The champions are the characters who are going to run the Maze.
I see. I'm kinda out of touch with the storyline.

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Griselbrand (French)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

I am going to lay odds on Singe for the Izzet, from the Guild Letter card. Making two Niv Mizzet cards would be just as out of place as pitting one Planeswalker against four non-walkers. My bet is that they have Niv call off Ral for some reason, most likely a `special` mission, and substitute Singe in his place.
I am going to lay odds on Singe for the Izzet, from the Guild Letter card. Making two Niv Mizzet cards would be just as out of place as pitting one Planeswalker against four non-walkers. My bet is that they have Niv call off Ral for some reason, most likely a `special` mission, and substitute Singe in his place.

Niv doesn't even have to come up with a contrived reason, Ral's already tried to claim the prize WITHOUT telling Niv about it.
Niv knew that, of course.
Yeah, but Ral and Niv aren`t stupid, either. Right now the only other Champion with any knowledge of the Maze is the Gruul champion, since he got it from Jace. If Niv was serious about claiming the prize he would send Ral, since Ral since Ral already has it mapped out. If he doesn`t, there is nothing to stop Ral from trying for it himself, which Niv also knows. So if he does not send Ral, then Ral would be suspicious about what Niv`s true purpose was. But if he assigns Ral some form of mission that allows them to claim the prize anyway, Ral can still fulfill Niv`s purpose while leaving room for a different Champion.
Pretty sure Ral will not be the champion for Izzet. Though I think Deckhopper is right on that Ral might just try and do it anyway. I mean Jace isn't alighned with any guild and he certainly won't be sitting by as Emmara goes into the maze. So I am sure that there will definitely be others involved in the race that aren't champions. 
The champions are being revealed at PAX RIGHT NOW!
Show

Azorius: Lavinia of the Tenth
Orzhov: Tesya, Envy of Ghosts
Dimir: Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker
Izzet: Melek, Izzet Paragon
Rakdos:
Golgari: Varolsz, the Scar Striped
Gruul: Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
Boros:
Selesnya: Emmara Tandris
Simic:

That's all I got.
IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/3/39/Mirrodin_Loyalty.png) thanks to gamma-mage for the awesome banner
Rakdos is
Show
Exava, Blood Witch of Rakdos

Boros is
Show
Tajic, blade of the legion

Simic is
Show
Vorel of the Hull Clade
Rakdos is
Show
Exava, Blood Witch of Exava

Show
she's the blood witch of herself? Also, brace yourselves. Incoming fan rage at no Massacre Girl.

IMAGE(http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com/images/3/39/Mirrodin_Loyalty.png) thanks to gamma-mage for the awesome banner
No I just can't type <_<
Also about the Golgari champion 
Show
he's the troll that Jace fought at the end of the first book

super low res pics of our champions!
Yay!

Azorius  
Boros
Dimir
Golgari
Gruul
Izzet
Orzhov
Rakdos
Selesnya
Simic
Wait, is the champion of the Izzet a Weird?

That's... that's so cool O_O 
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.

Very possible.
But equally likely to be a Djinn.
... Either way is fine with me.

Emmara bothers me. It looks like she's thinking "Milk, eggs, bread,... butter? what else?"
It's probably more, "Elemental, centaur, saproling, bird...which am I missing?"

It's not so weird if you think about it.

"The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

I dunno, it's still kind of shocking.
It's probably more, "Elemental, centaur, saproling, bird...which am I missing?"

... I prefer the grocery list.
Just like a Day in the Life of Obstinate Baloth or Thrun eats a sandwich.

I dunno, it's still kind of shocking.

Yeah, it's kind of an unusual element to introduce.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Goddamnit guys.

Nope, no pun here, I have principles. (But this parenthatical diametrically opposes them)
(Damnit) 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
No speculation on how Teysa kept her youthful looks? That's what I wanna know. Lilliana had to make a deal with bloody demons in order to get eternal life. I can definitely see why the fat ghosts would be jelly of Teysa. 
No speculation on how Teysa kept her youthful looks? That's what I wanna know. Lilliana had to make a deal with bloody demons in order to get eternal life. I can definitely see why the fat ghosts would be jelly of Teysa. 

It's simply good breeding.
Not a joke, that's the actual reason. The Orzhov pureblood families have absolutely obscenely good genes.

They eventually pay for it, but in their youth.... well, they have a lot of youth.
More art!

Show

and my personal favorite

Hairless, where are you getting your pics from? There are much better ones floating around over in the PAX East thread at Salvation. Most of which are at least taken from head on.

In other news, looks like Exava has gotten herself into a...
*puts on sunglasses*
Sticky situation.
Show

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
I'm getting them from the sally thread, I don't know why they look different.
It's simply good breeding.
Not a joke, that's the actual reason. The Orzhov pureblood families have absolutely obscenely good genes.

They eventually pay for it, but in their youth.... well, they have a lot of youth.

Apparently only on the females, considering that we only ever see middle-aged to undead male aristocrats in art.

pls explan wzards
Apparently only on the females, considering that we only ever see middle-aged to undead male aristocrats in art.

pls explan wzards

There's no indication those are pureblood families.
It's not like every Orzhov pontiff is actually a member of one of the families. Most aren't.
Just like most don't qualify for the Ghost Council.
Right, but why do we only see it in cards like Cartel Aristocrat while a bloody high priest looks middle-aged? Why no young male aristocrats and older female ones?

(Yes, I know what the real reason is, but come on...) 
Right, but why do we only see it in cards like Cartel Aristocrat while a bloody high priest looks middle-aged? Why no young male aristocrats and older female ones?

(Yes, I know what the real reason is, but come on...) 

For one, the families don't lower themselves to service positions. High priest is a peasant rank to them.
And you shouldn't dismiss young male aristos. Jeremy Jarvis has taken a very proactive stance on throwing beefcake out for ladies and the gay community.
But it does boil down to "women have better fashion options for fancy dress than men."
Seriously, you can dress a lady up far more than you can a guy.
Oh, I'd prefer to keep both kinds of fanservice out for the most part, but that's just me. In any event, most of the young, virile Orzhov men seem to be enforcers like what's-his-name-again who traveled with Teysa in the original Guildpact novel. You know, the guy behind her in Teysa, Orzhov Scion. I remember that it was said that most of the really powerful members of the Church were fat, grey and bloated. This was the case in the original Ravnica block - see Bob's artwork for an example - but I don't really see any of those guys in RTR block. The leaders of the guild also seem to have gone on a diet, mostly. And I'm pretty sure that in the original Guildpact novel, Teysa was mentioned as being below one of the Ghost Council members, having to lord over a backwoods district instead of something better.

I mean, she has obviously risen in power since then, but you can't really breed retroactively. So what happened? Was she not high enough in the ranks to become a bloated sack of fat, but just high enough to get good genes? And what happened to the fatties anyways? 
And I'm pretty sure that in the original Guildpact novel, Teysa was mentioned as being below one of the Ghost Council members, having to lord over a backwoods district instead of something better.

I mean, she has obviously risen in power since then, but you can't really breed retroactively. So what happened? Was she not high enough in the ranks to become a bloated sack of fat, but just high enough to get good genes? And what happened to the fatties anyways? 

Actually, she was ruling over an entire barony, which no matter how you slice it is impressive.
She was Uncle Karlov's daughter, literally the heir to a member of the Ghost Council.
And you've ignored some of what was said. The Orzhov retain their youth for DECADES after most people start to age. The Orzhov purebloods have an average lifespan of up to 400 years.
Now, when they start to get up to that age, that's when they start to get fat and corpulent.
I really like the Golgari champion.
I mean its a troll with a mohawk! What isnt cool about it?
But it does boil down to "women have better fashion options for fancy dress than men."

Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

To be fair, a man in good form and a very well cut suit can look astonishingly handsome. Sadly, it is difficult to get the sense of presence in such a small card.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!

To be fair, a man in good form and a very well cut suit can look astonishingly handsome. Sadly, it is difficult to get the sense of presence in such a small card.

Would that be someone you might describe as daper, perhaps? (Winky face)
Sign In to post comments