Spell copies and changed targets

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just had a thought about a theoretical situation.

Let's say you have activated and resolved the second ability of Chandra, the Firebrand, then cast Lightning Bolt at your opponent. In response to the delayed trigger, he redirects the bolt to another target (you). Who is the copy-Bolt targeting as a default?

(Edit: Maybe I can find a card that copies the spell without giving the option to change targets to make this clearer.)

Edit: Thought about it some more. Since targets are among the things copied from the spell, the changed target would be the copy's default target, right?
Copies of spells target what the original targeted, but almost everything (maybe everything, I don't know off the top of my head) that copies spells lets you change targets.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

The issue I was asking about, is the change of target of the original spell before the copy is created and if that change is then copied as well.

A scenario, where this could matter (even if new target can be chosen via the copy effect):
- activate Chandra' second ability
- cast Lava Spike at my opponent
- he responds to the trigger by a) somehow gaining hexproof/shroud and b) changing the target of the Spike to me

If the old target is copied, the copy would fizzle for having an illegal target (since I opt to not change the target). If the new target is copied, I'll get hit for 3 twice (since I cannot change the target of the copy to my opponent).
I would assume the target is copied the moment the copy is created. At that point this would be the new target, so the copy would also be pointed at the new target originally (and can then be changed).

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

The issue I was asking about, is the change of target of the original spell before the copy is created and if that change is then copied as well.
If the old target is copied, the copy would fizzle for having an illegal target (since I opt to not change the target). If the new target is copied, I'll get hit for 3 twice (since I cannot change the target of the copy to my opponent).

As a general rule, copy effects DO NOT copy other effects affecting the original object. (except other copy effects)
I would say the original target is copied, not the redirected one. Rule 706.2 seems to confirm:

706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object’s characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The “copiable values” are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, expansion symbol, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by “as . . . enters the battlefield” and “as . . . is turned face up” abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.

Rule 706.10 is less explicit:

706.10. To copy a spell or activated ability means to put a copy of it onto the stack; a copy of a spell isn’t cast and a copy of an activated ability isn’t activated. A copy of a spell or ability copies both the characteristics of the spell or ability and all decisions made for it, including modes, targets, the value of X, and additional or alternative costs. Choices that are normally made on resolution are not copied. If an effect of the copy refers to objects used to pay its costs, it uses the objects used to pay the costs of the original spell or ability. A copy of a spell is owned by the player under whose control it was put on the stack. A copy of a spell or ability is controlled by the player under whose control it was put on the stack. A copy of a spell is itself a spell, even though it has no spell card associated with it. A copy of an ability is itself an ability.

It's not Logic, it's Magic!

706.10 is the more correct rule here. You will get a copy of whatever the original spell is currently targeting when Chandra's ability resolves. In this case, the default target for the copy Bolt is a Bolt targeting you, not a Bolt targeting your opponent (the target of the Bolt when it was first put on the stack).

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Thanks Nate! Wizards might consider making that rule more explicit on that subject: it does constitute an exception to the general «copy no other effect» rule.

What about text-changing or color-changing effects? Would those be copied? 

I know text changing is not copied
if Overload wasn't an additional cost (which is copied) copies of an overloaded spell would not be overloaded
proud member of the 2011 community team
This has already been answered by Natedogg, but I think (going back to the original post) the issue needing clarification here is this:

You have Chandra's second ability in effect.

You cast Lightning Bolt targetting the opponent.
Before you get to pass priority, immediately, the Chandra effect trigger happens and you are required to put your copy of bolt on the stack and choose a target for it.  You do that.  You then pass priority.

At this point, the opponent can possibly change a target of a bolt (either the original or the copy) but changing one does nothing to affect the other.

As I see it, the copy-bolt doesn't have or need a "default" target because you choose a target for it when it is created and put on the stack.  The opponent does not get priority inbetween the original bolt being cast and the copy being put on the stack.  I'm not saying that the caster of the original Bolt willingly passes priority or willingly holds onto it, as far as I can tell, he does't even have that choice.  As soon as he casts an instant or sorcery (in this case the original bolt) the effect triggers and he is required to process it and put it on the stack.  Only then can he pass priority.  So when the opponent first get's a chance to do anything in response, there are already 2 bolts on the stack targetting whatever they're targetting and messing with one won't have any effect on the other.

That's how I understand it to work anyway.
I'm afraid you understand incorrectly. When you cast Bolt, Chandra's delayed triggered ability goes on the stack. Only when that ability resolves will you create a copy of Bolt, using the current target of the Bolt it is copying (or if it's not on the stack anymore for some reason, the most recent target it had before it left the stack).

Level 3 DCI Judge Mission Viejo, CA

You have Chandra's second ability in effect.
You cast Lightning Bolt targetting the opponent.
Before you get to pass priority, immediately, the Chandra effect trigger happens and you are required to put your copy of bolt on the stack and choose a target for it.  You do that.  You then pass priority.

Chandra's effect does trigger immediately, but that ability still has too be put on the Stack, wait for Priority passing, and then resolve. Only then is the spell-copy created.

...and that copy is created as an exact copy of the original Bolt;
specifically, it is NOT cast and you do NOT pick its target.
...and then Chandra's ability allows you to change the target of the copy.

706.10. To copy a spell (...) means to put a copy of it onto the stack; a copy of a spell isn’t cast (...) A copy of a spell or ability copies (...) all decisions made for it, including modes, targets,...