more cipher questions

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
okay there was some discussion in th standard deck building area on the rulings of cipher.

if you were to cast and resolve a spell with the cipher abilty and you then ciphered that spell onto a creature, could you exile the copy of the spell later in the game to trigger Nivmagus Elemental's ability?

this is how I believe that they want to use the combo.

Guttersnipe, Nivmagus Elemental, Invisible Stalker enchanted with Runechanter's Pike are all on the battlefield. you play Hands of Binding triggering the snipe, cipher the hands onto the Stalker, swing with all or just the elemental and stalker, the stalkers damage gets through first because of the pike giving it first strike which would allow you to cast the ciphered spell and then you exile the copy of the ciphered spell giving the elemental a buff before his damage is assigned.

would this scenario work that is my question... I don't think it does but I would like the clarification.

thanks
if you were to cast and resolve a spell with the cipher abilty and you then ciphered that spell onto a creature, could you exile the copy of the spell later in the game to trigger Nivmagus Elemental's ability?

Yes, copies of spells are spells.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

ciphered cards are cast when they trigger
so everything that cares about casting a spell will trigger
proud member of the 2011 community team
thank you both, I now have new ideas floating around as far as the elemental goes but what about the first strike invisible stalker> If tapped to attack at the same time as the elemental would it do its damage before the elemental therefore giving you the option of exiling the cipher and giving the elemental the buff before he does damage?
Combat damage phase:

1. Begin combat step (players can play instants/abilities)

2. Active player declares attackers

3. Players can play instants/abilities

4. Defending players declare blockers

5. Players can play instants/abilities

6. First strike combat damage dealt <--When Invis Stalker deals damage and triggers cipher

7. Players can play instants/abilities <-- When Nivmagus can exile Voidwalk's copy

8. Regular combat damage dealt <--When Nivmagus deals combat damage

9. Players can play instants/abilities

10. End combat step (players can play instants/abilities)

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.