Final EDH deck help

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm working on my 10th and final EDH deck and I realized that I do not have a dedicated control deck. This deck is supposed to fill that role. I have an idea of where I want to start. I want it to be 5 color so I can play all the best cards in the game. No infinite combos, this deck has to win with good old fashioned slow beat down; the way all the old control decks used to. I feel like I want to use Reaper King as the general due to the interaction with Rite of Replication. The deck should be full of busted draw engines, cheap efficient counterspells, cheap removal, and 5 to 10 decent beaters. Mana base is all 10 duals, all 10 shocks, all 10 fetches, 1 of each basic land, and 3 to 5 utility lands. Any and all card suggestions are welcome.

Edit: Decklist I finally had time to come up with.

General
Child of Alara

Ramp 7
Exploration
Oracle of Mul Daya
Mirari's Wake
Sol Ring
Sylvan Primordial
Mana Crypt
Sword of Feast and Famine

Tutors 10
Grim Tutor
Intuition
Mystical Tutor
Vampiric Tutor
Demonic Tutor
Entomb
Enlightened Tutor
Land Tax
Imperial Seal
Rune-Scarred Demon

Card Manipulation 10
Sphinx's Revelation
Sylvan Library
Fact or Fiction
Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Necropotence
Scroll Rack
Consecrated Sphinx
Sensei's Divining Top
Mystic Remora
Skullclamp

Permission 10
Hinder
Pact of Negation
Glen Elendra Archmage
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
Venser, Shaper Savant
Voidslime
Cryptic Command
Force of Will
Counterspell
Mana Drain

Removal 9
Supreme Verdict
Terminate
Vindicate
Swords to Plowshares
Path to Exile
Nature's Claim
Austere Command
Cyclonic Rift
Beast Within

Recursion 8
Life from the Loam
Snapcaster Mage
Karmic Guide
Sun Titan
Yawgmoth's Will
Crucible of Worlds
Unburial Rites
Eternal Witness

Misc 7
Seedborn Muse
Phyrexian Metamorph
Phantasmal Image
Leyline of Anticipation
Ghostly Flicker
Bloodghast
Deadeye Navigator

Lands 38
1 Plains
2 Islands
1 Swamp
1 Forest
Phyrexian Tower
Tolaria West
Wasteland
Krosan Verge
Strip Mine
Volrath's Stronghold
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Alchemist's Refuge
Reliquary Tower
Flooded Strand
Marsh Flats
Arid Mesa
Windswept Heath
Polluted Delta
Scalding Tarn
Misty Rainforest
Bloodstained Mire
Verdant Catacombs
Wooded Foothills
Tundra
Scrubland
Plateau
Savannah
Underground Sea
Volcanic Island
Tropical Island
Badlands
Bayou
Taiga
Hallowed Fountain
Watery Grave
Steam Vents
Breeding Pool
I did this with The Angry Baby. It worked well, just needed some indestructibility and recursion really, and the board nukes were mine to control.

I also feel 4 of 5/ all 5 Praetors from NPH have a spot in a deck like this too.

Cheers!
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Aye, Child seems more useful for a control deck.

anyway, some utility lands

volrath's stronghold
maze of ith
kor haven
desolate lighthouse
alchemist's refuge
celestial colonnade (best manland imo) 
Inkwell Leviathan is one of the best meat grinders, you should totally use it. Frost Titan is the walking version of old school control. Clones, clones, clones.

stuff like Riptide Replicator calling scarecrows could be funny.

<----- Loser.

I'd definitely look at Child over Reaper King unless you are going to be running Changelings or Scarecrows. And I guess that defines the problem with the King: King chooses your other creatures for you, whereas Child lets you play what you want.

For utility lands, Grim Backwoods, Gavony Township, Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion, Thespian's Stage, and Strip Mine would be my favorites. If your meta is not full of annoying lands then the Stage and Mine can be left out.

Beyond that....Control is not my specialty these days. I tend toward synergistic decks, where any of several cards all make each other better, but never really hit "combo" level. My advice may not be terribly helpful. Nonetheless, I'd second the recommendation for at least 2 of the praetors (Sheoldred and Elesh), as well as Deathbringer Liege and probably Murkfiend Liege. Depending on how many creatures you end up running, Dire Undercurrents can be mean, and I strongly recommend Fable of Wolf and Owl as it has saved me on multiple occasions even though it has never been more than a throw-in in my decks. Oh, and for five colors: Etched Monstrosity.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Alright, the five utility lands will be:
Volrath's Stronghold
Maze of Ith
Alchemist's Refuge
Strip Mine
Tolaria West

And Etched Monstosity is definitely in. Powerful beater that draws cards seems quite strong.
So you're sticking to Reaper King? If you do Child you probably want phyrexian tower and high market.
Still undecided on that and I also forgot Krosan Verge. Great with crucible.
I'm working on my 10th and final EDH deck and I realized that I do not have a dedicated control deck. This deck is supposed to fill that role. I have an idea of where I want to start. I want it to be 5 color so I can play all the best cards in the game. No infinite combos, this deck has to win with good old fashioned slow beat down; the way all the old control decks used to. I feel like I want to use Reaper King as the general due to the interaction with Rite of Replication. The deck should be full of busted draw engines, cheap efficient counterspells, cheap removal, and 5 to 10 decent beaters. Mana base is all 10 duals, all 10 shocks, all 10 fetches, 1 of each basic land, and 3 to 5 utility lands. Any and all card suggestions are welcome.

Reaper king in my experience is only good 1 v1 I had a Reaper king deck and my friend made me take in a part because he hated getting two of his lands vindicated turn 4 which the deck would do consistently.  I find as a multi player general though your control is spread to thin with the number of scarecrows and changelings that are available to play.  (And yes I ran one of each.)  The deck was more of a voltron that won through general damage and equipment.  Although if you went about building it with a Pox style legacy mentality abusing Braids and targeted land destruction  it could be devastating.  But still only with 2 opponents after that your plan becomes to easy to deal with or you simply get hated out of the game. 

As far as no combo old fashion beats look no further than Progen.  Sure his mana cost prohibitive.  I run him as a general and the deck simply wins by attrition.  Being in all five colors gives access to all the best creatures.  And by turn 4-6 the consistency of the threats you are able to drop with good ramp turns out to be more than most non-combo decks can deal with.  Plus Progen + Rafiqu = 1 shot kills I have no trouble hitting a turn 5-6 Progen and I do not run shock lands in my build.  But I usually just use him as the top end finisher after my opponents have used all their answers on my above average creatures.  I play it as a Home of misfit legends deck and absolutely abuse Captain Sisay (She is always the first thing I toutor for).  I run around 25-30 legends in the deck including Eldrazi, Eye of Ungin, Cradle, and Urborg With 5 spots that I rotate creatures in and out of to keep the play fresh.  The deck is not optimized or contain any combos but it is a blast to play and it will every now and then drop a turn two Gin gets your taxes. 

If Progen isn’t up you ally, I would also recommend the angry baby.  Sure he gets hated on a lot but if you’re looking for a solid control build having a general that doubles as a board wipe is pretty good. 

Updated OP with a deck list. Feedback appreciated. 
Not sure if you have enough synergetic things to justify the blink stuff, i.e. ghostly flicker, deadeye navigator. It looks like it just wants to be a clone of your Ertai deck but can't commit to the theme. Since you already have that deck you should do something different here.

You could probably use the slot from mirari's wake for something better.

What is bloodghast for? 
Agreed. Any suggestions? 
Birthing Pod

and all the coolest 6 drops ever.
I think I'll keep the Navigator just for the soft locking of Seedborn, Deadeye, E-Wit, and any counterspell.

I hear Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker is pretty strong in control. Boros Charm also seems solid.
those cards are all good on their own except deadeye.

bolas is awesome, Karn Liberated is pretty good too... actually a lot of planeswalkers look pretty good for heavy control... tamiyo, vengeant, even liliana vess.

you sure you meant to type Boros? 
I have enough tutor power in the deck that I will be able to find a good bond for deadeye.

I thought about all of those nasty PWs but what to remove?

Yes I meant boros charm because I'd like to cast it in response to Child of Alara dying.
Not sure if you have enough synergetic things to justify the blink stuff, i.e. ghostly flicker, deadeye navigator. It looks like it just wants to be a clone of your Ertai deck but can't commit to the theme. Since you already have that deck you should do something different here.

In case you missed this edit to my above post

Also still wondering what bloodghast is for 
Bloodghast is for skullclamp which is absolutely worth it. Fetches make it really good. And yes I am using some of the same strategies from Ertai because they are really good.
I did end up cutting flicker but the interaction with deadeye and karmic guide is just too good to cut. Really good after baby dies.