L1 adventure for new Next playtest group?

I'm starting a new local group next week, comprised of folks who'd played AD&D 20+ years ago; we thought we'd give the the D&D Next platform a go. The initial Caves of Chaos L1-3 adventure included with the playtest, however, seems a bit daunting ... for me as GM anyway, as I've not played, much less DM'd, in ages.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on another short level 1 module with which we might be able to start, or an L1 AD&D or D&D3.x adventure that could easily be converted to Next? I thought we'd start with that, and then move on to Chaos caves?

Appreciate any advice, thank you!

Don't be daunted by CoC, its a great adventure, easy to use.  The players can go back and forth from the town if needed, and many (not all) of the caves are stand alone, or can be run this way.

my group just so happened to clear the Kobolds first, then used their cave as a base for the rest of the adventure.

Anyway, if it really does not suite you, look here:   http://www.dndclassics.com/

∴ "Virtus junxit, mors non separabit." 

Don't be daunted by CoC, its a great adventure, easy to use.  The players can go back and forth from the town if needed, and many (not all) of the caves are stand alone, or can be run this way.

my group just so happened to clear the Kobolds first, then used their cave as a base for the rest of the adventure.

Anyway, if it really does not suite you, look here:   http://www.dndclassics.com/

Thanks, I'll give Chaos a go - appreciate the feedback!
You might also try Reclaiming Blingdenstone. It's a little less daunting and has 6 short missions that make up a larger campaign. The missions are a little more directional and linear than CoC.

---

brian ®

Guitars & Gaming

You might also try Reclaiming Blingdenstone. It's a little less daunting and has 6 short missions that make up a larger campaign. The missions are a little more directional and linear than CoC.

Thanks, I did not realize bling was an L1 adventure, I'll give it a read.

Thanks, I did not realize bling was an L1 adventure, I'll give it a read.

I wasn't sure at first either because it doesn't specify, but after reading through it, it seems to be for lower levels. I asked in another thread and someone agreed that it looked like it was for levels 1-4.

---

brian ®

Guitars & Gaming

Hey netarc, just thought I'd throw in this thread. Plaguescarred made a nice easy conversion of the Caves of Shadow (a free adventure from WotC, back in 3e.) I ran it, and it was fast and easy. I'd suggest looking into it.

edit: here is the pdf file.
Thanks for posting the link, kimli. Looks like a nice simple intro adventure that would be great to DM for new PC players.

---

brian ®

Guitars & Gaming

Hey netarc, just thought I'd throw in this thread. Plaguescarred made a nice easy conversion of the Caves of Shadow (a free adventure from WotC, back in 3e.) I ran it, and it was fast and easy. I'd suggest looking into it.

edit: here is the pdf file.

beaut, thank you!
Plague is really the man to thank. He's the one who put the effort in. I'm just glad we have people like him in this community. We could all take a page out of his book.
Sign In to post comments