3/5/2013 RC: "Beastmaster Bloodrush"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I know this is Gruul week, but would it be too greedy to "splash" a Gavony Township off of the Pilgrims? That might just be too slow for what this deck wants to do, but hey, it pumps your guys, and does double duty with a Bestmaster.

That reminds me. You should build a deck around that card, so you can call it Gavin-y Township Smile 
Profile picture by Mackenzie Schubert www.plaincomics.com
as expected of the secretive dimir, their decklists submission deadline has already passed!

Format: Standard
Restrictions: Your deck must be blue and black and no other colors. (Overlapping hybrid cards, such as Blistercoil Weird and Deathrite Shaman, are okay.)
Deadline: Sunday, February 24, at 6 p.m. Pacific Time
Submit all decklists by clicking on "respond via email" below. Please submit decklists using the following template

and with your bloodrush on the stack i give your beastmaster -13/-13 - as it's ability resolves that gives your team -12/-12
This NEEDS Ranger's Guile.

I would add Mayor of Avabruck instead of the 1/1 Haste and maybe giant growth instead of the Rancor. You want to kill your opponent with one attack, or at least criple them by forcing them to jump your superior creatures to not die. 

I have been playing the mono Green version of this deck the last 2 FNMs with acceptable results. 
It has a plan B consisting of Somberwald sage and Craterhoof Behemoth.  instead of the red splashes it runs Revenge of the hunted, Increasing Savagery and Scorned Villager.
and with your bloodrush on the stack i give your beastmaster -13/-13 - as it's ability resolves that gives your team -12/-12

Is that how it works? I know last known information, but if a card is going to give a bonus ("each other creature gets +X/+X"), can X ever be negative? I could see that the minimum might cap at 0. I don't actually know, just asking if anyone knows where in the comp rules something like this might be discussed.

Is that how it works? I know last known information, but if a card is going to give a bonus ("each other creature gets +X/+X"), can X ever be negative? I could see that the minimum might cap at 0. I don't actually know, just asking if anyone knows where in the comp rules something like this might be discussed.

It's on Wild Beastmaster's Gatherer entry in the rulings section.
Wait that's the actual ruling? That is absolute nonsense.
Of course it is! If after a spell resolves, and Beastmaster has, say.... -3, as its power, all your creatures get -3/-3 until end of turn. I'm glad no one in the local metagame has put downsize in their sideboard.
You can't have negative power! I thought that was set in stone.
It looks like Char-Rumbler's breath must be hot enough to melt the stone, then.
Spinal Parasite too, apparently. WHY DOES NOBODY TELL ME ANYTHING
Of course it is! If after a spell resolves, and Beastmaster has, say.... -3, as its power, all your creatures get -3/-3 until end of turn. I'm glad no one in the local metagame has put downsize in their sideboard.

Megh, its pretty unintuitive, at least to me. Creatures with negative power don't cause your opponent to gain life when they deal combat damage, so its a little odd to think of negative power/toughness as a real thing.