Ideas on Humans

I have an issue, conceptually, with the design of humans. Humans are known to be flexible and adaptable, with the ability to match any other race. Giving them a +1 across the board for skills makes all the other races look ridiculous. ex: sweet, I am a wood elf, I am as dexterous as an average human, but not as dexterous as a human that chose +2 dex. In order to achieve the attribute bonus of a 1st level human, a character would have to be level 12. To me, this seems absurd and flavorless. Here are my suggestions:

Give humans the ability to gain training in 2 or 3 Skills.

Give humans +1 to 2, maybe 3 Attributes of thier choice.

Give humans a Feat.

Give humans a similar weapon dice upgrade to the racial features to one weapon of thier choice.

Give humans an extra language.

This highlights the adaptability of a human, allowing them to match the best of the best from any race, but not equal to all other races. For skills and Attributes, I would suggest 2 instead of 3 for the number, as DnD Next seems to be trying to reduce numbers, but playtesting should determine which feels right.
I think that's still way too much. They still have 2 or 3 more stat points than any other race, can use them wherever they want, and can do extra damage with any weapon they want.

I'd just give them a bonus feat, bonus skill, maybe a +1 to a stat of their choice (though I'd be happy without it), and no weapon damage bonuses.
I feel the weapon damage is a lesser version to ones that other races get.
2 skills is equivalent to keen senses.
1 feat is basically equal to the subraced based ability 
the language is flavor, and makes a sense from a race design sense, considering humans interact with every other species.
maybe you're right about the attr point. IMHO I would probably put it at 2 skills and 1 attr bonus.

This leaves you with a slightly underpowered raced comparatively, but hugely adaptible. all the variations possible can be used to add a little flavor, or background, or can be min-maxed, if that is your cup of tea.  

What I can say is that this is what I would be using for a homebrew campaign, over +1 to everything, and +2 to one stat.
OMG HUMANS GET AN EXTRA 7 STAT POINTS SPREAD OVER 6 STATS

seriously though, humans get +2 to a stat they really need, +1 to one to one to three stats they somewhat need, and +1 to whatever stats they don't need,
elves get immunity to charm and sleep, as well as only requiring 4 hours of rest every 24 hours, and get 2 free skills.  wood elves also get increased movement speed (for whatever that's worth)
dwarves get advantage vs. poison and poison resistance (dwarven liver being the most vital organ a dwarf has), no speed penalty for wearing heavy armor, a free skill, ability to see in the dark, a free skill, enhanced damage with axes and hammers, and either +1 hp per level or +1 ac

"Trying to run gritty gothic horror with 4e is like trying to cut down a tree with a hammer, likewise trying to run heroic fantasy with 1e is like trying to hammer a nail with a chainsaw."

This is what i get when i hit the Quote button:  http://community.wizards.com/%23

I am not necessarily arguing that it is unbalanced. What the other races get is cool. I am more saying that it is boring, and lazy, and doesn't make any sense. I would argue that stats are at the core of everything you do in DnD. They are significant. The bonus each races gets, should be significant, which it isn't with the humans automatically trumping everyone else. Humans are automatically as tough as the toughest dwarf, as intelligent as the smartest elf, as charismatic as the friendliest halfing. 

In other words, all those defining features, which make elves, and dwarves and everything else what they are, are completely negated. Humans should be the baseline for what stats are, by definition. the average human is 10's across the board. the average elf would be 10's and an 11 in either intelligence or dex, depending on thier subrace. this design makes it so that instead they are deficient in everything else, not exceptional at one thing. It is unbalanced, however, like I said, my bigger issue is, it's boring. it doesn't define what makes a human human.

Versatility, and adaptability is the defining characteristic of humans throughout DnD and modern fantasy in general. I don't think that's even debatable. The current design of humans does nothing to make humans human. It's very flat, and uninspiring. I am hoping that humans as they currently are is a template around which they design races, and they have some formula that states that poison resistance is equivalent to a stat bonus, and weapon training is equivalent to a +2, etc.

I am hoping that humans will end up looking a bit more like the design I proposed. To me, this way seems to be about equal to the bonus other races get, and in meaningful ways. Lord_Kyrian and I would debate about tweaking it, powerwise, and I think playtesting would help finalize that. So, these are my hopes. It is comforting to know that even if humans are not changed, I can always play it my way. Cause DnD is awesome like that.
I am not necessarily arguing that it is unbalanced. What the other races get is cool. I am more saying that it is boring, and lazy, and doesn't make any sense.

They key note here is that it doesn't make any sense.

Elves are reknown for their wits and agility

Dwarves are reknown for their hardiness

This should suggest that dwarves and elves are better at those things then humans. As is, humans are better then all the other races at everything, which is not logical.

So its not a matter of balance, its a matter of choosing racial traits that best describes the race.
I am not necessarily arguing that it is unbalanced. What the other races get is cool. I am more saying that it is boring, and lazy, and doesn't make any sense.

This should suggest that dwarves and elves are better at those things then humans. As is, humans are better then all the other races at everything, which is not logical.

So its not a matter of balance, its a matter of choosing racial traits that best describes the race.

like what?  it's kind of hard to grant humans racial traits that describe them as being generic while still making them useful for whatever each character specializes in.

"Trying to run gritty gothic horror with 4e is like trying to cut down a tree with a hammer, likewise trying to run heroic fantasy with 1e is like trying to hammer a nail with a chainsaw."

This is what i get when i hit the Quote button:  http://community.wizards.com/%23

like what?  it's kind of hard to grant humans racial traits that describe them as being generic while still making them useful for whatever each character specializes in.

Well the past two editions used bonus Feat and Skills ... I really don't see why we can't use that again... and if we can't use those options, I'm sure WOTC can think of something else other then just throwing stats at them.

In any case, races is one of those things that is probably the easiest to make 'modular'. In fact it has to be by design because elves and dwarves from Middle Earth are different then Forgotten Realms which are also different then those of DragonLance. It should be one of those things they practice their modular approach such as suggesting alternate racial traits.

I am not say I am the end all be all, but please see the racial description proposed at the start of the thread. The latest iteration is:

1 Feat
2 Skills
Weapon Damage Mod in one weapon of choice
+1 att bonus
+1 language

This is approximately balanced with the other races, slightly underpowered. However, the flexibility reflects the fact that humans can excel at whatever they choose to pursue, matching other races.

Remember that while the average elf is definitely more agilie than the average human, adventurers are not average. They are the few that can hope to match an elvish archer, or a drawven stonemason.

I am not say I am the end all be all, but please see the racial description proposed at the start of the thread. The latest iteration is:

1 Feat
2 Skills
Weapon Damage Mod in one weapon of choice
+1 att bonus
+1 language

This is approximately balanced with the other races, slightly underpowered. However, the flexibility reflects the fact that humans can excel at whatever they choose to pursue, matching other races.

Remember that while the average elf is definitely more agilie than the average human, adventurers are not average. They are the few that can hope to match an elvish archer, or a drawven stonemason.

giving a single weapon an increase to its damage die doesn't do much, maybe give them ride instead?