Corpses: Are they nonliving objects?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay, so in a homebrew campaign me and my friends are running, which involves a fair amount of necromancy/undead related things, my character is starting to get rather interested in becoming a necromancer.  We're level six right now and after finding some magic crossbows mounted on pedastals that were automated defenses in a dungeon, my character was able to reprogram one with Arcana to shoot at random enemies.  I've been carting it around on my Tenser's Floating Disk for now, but I've been looking for ways to repurpose it to be even more ridiculous/sily/whatever.  I was looking through rituals that involve that sort of thing, and Mordenkainen's Binding says it can join two nonliving objects together.  And also the Undead Servitor ritual, because my character, again, is borderline evil.  Could I use the binding ritual to fuse the pillar to a dead body, the ressurect it as an undead servitor to follow me arround and randome fire off bolts, or does that cross so sort of rule or do corpses not count as nonliving objects because at one point they were living, or is this a purely DM discrection sort of thing?
Dm discrection. That being said, it does sound neat if anything.

Happy Gaming
Non-living, unliving, undying, immortal. Could be any. There is also a question of whether they are objects. But if it's cool and won't break the game, then your DM should have no issues with it.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
I've personally been persuaded by others on this forum that NOTHING the players do in a campaign can possibly be considered "broken,"

... if they understand ahead of time that doing anything extra-powerful, that the villains never realized possible, will inspire said villains to try to do it too, and some of them could very well turn out to be able to do so once they learn it's possible

Founder - but not owner - of Just Say Yes!

Member of LGBT Gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Why there should be the option to use alignment systems:
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

According to the Grab rules, a corpse is a non-living object for the purposes of picking it up and carrying it, but that's as far as the rules go towards covering this situation...

Technically, it's probably within the rules to glue your magic cannon to your walking luggage rack, but after that it's entirely up to DM discretion.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Technically, I don't think this would work (animated corpse is a non-living creature, not an object). That said, rule of cool and DM fiat may make this okay.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.
animated corpse is a non-living creature, not an object

Correct, but the OP is indicating that he wants to do this before animating the corpse, since (unanimated) corpses are normally handled/targeted as objects.

Yeah, this is all just rule of cool. Of course it will work. Of course it is also perfectly possible that the resulting monstrosity will end up getting possessed by demons, going berserk, and destroying half of the town... ;) Or the ritual might require some extra special components, or etc.
That is not dead which may eternal lie