Hi, I want to make this R/G aggro deck, but I would like your suggestions and advice, as I do not know a lot of the modern cards.The deck:Creatures: 284x Goblin Guide 4x Stromkirk Noble

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, I want to make this R/G aggro deck, but I would like your suggestions and advice, as I do not know a lot of the modern cards.

The deck:

Creatures: 28
4x Goblin Guide
4x Stromkirk Noble
4x Stormblood Berserker
4x Burning-Tree Emissary
4x Ash Zealot
4x Boggart Ram-Gang
4x Hellrider

Spells: 12
4x Lightning Bolt
4x Rancor
4x Magma Jet 

Lands: 20
8x Mountain
4x Stomping Ground
4x Copperline Gorge
4x Rootbound Crag

Sideboard:
4x Pillar of Flame
4x Skullcrack
3x Naturalize
2x Mizzium Mortars
2x Grafdigger's Cage

But I cannot afford Tarmogoyf so I can not add this card to the deck.

Tarmogoyf would be one of the only reasons I would ever consider splashing green to a red aggro deck.  Since you can't afford him, it's kind of pointless.  You seem to be doing a lot of work just to include Rancor in RDW.

Stromkirk Noble and Stormblood Berserker are both too slow.  Boggart Ram-Gang should be cut as well.  With 20 lands, you won't be assured of getting a 3rd land drop by turn 3.  If you do, you would want more impact than a 3/3 haste for tapping out.

Even if you add more lands, I'd rather have Huntmaster of the Fells as a 4-drop rather than Hellrider.  Having no 4-drops would be the best option.

I get the feeling you are taking your Standard deck, jamming in Lightning Bolt, and calling it a Modern deck.

Get two playsets of fetches, then use the 8 fetches to replace the Rootbound Crag and Copperline Gorge.  Then you can replace the Stromkirk Noble with Grim Lavamancer and the Magma Jet with Searing Blaze.

Here are some other popular aggro creatures: Vexing Devil, Spark Elemental, Hellspark Elemental, and Keldon Marauders.
You might also want to find a way to fit in Rift Bolt and Lava Spike.  Three damage for one mana is always nice.

Mizzium Mortars will never be overloaded since you'll be dead three times over before you hit six mana.  Figure out what you want from that SB slot and replace it.  Probably with Volcanic Fallout.

That's a start.  But really, if you are interested in the format, you might want to look at a red/white or red/black deck instead.  Those are more popular splashes for RDW/burn decks.
Yeah, R/G is about the worst combination for a burn/aggro style deck in Modern.  The only real "viable" versions are mono-R, R/b, R/w, R/w/b or even R/w/b/g.

Start with this shell:

That's going to be in every red-based aggro deck in the format.  If you have fetch lands, add them in, along with 2-3x Grim Lavamancers (never go with 4, always 3 max).  If you want to play black, add Deathrite Shaman and Bump in the Night.  White gives you Lightning Helix and Boros Charm.  Add in a total of 12 lands, usually 4x fast lands, 2x shock lands and the rest are fetches.  The final slots are generally things like Hellspark Elemental, Shard Volley or Skullcrack.

If you're wondering, the green is entirely off a single Stomping Ground for the lifegain ability of Deathrite Shaman, and possibly Ancient Grudge flashback out of the board.
If you're wondering, the green is entirely off a single Stomping Ground for the lifegain ability of Deathrite Shaman, and possibly Ancient Grudge flashback out of the board.

Even with a green splash, I don't think I would use Ancient GrudgeShattering Spree for multiple artifacts, Smash to Smithereens to keep up pressure, or Rakdos Charm just for versitility all seem like better SB options.

As for the DRS, he is nuts even without green...and playing a shock land just to be able to activate an ability that will gain back the two life I spent putting the shock into play seems a bit counterintuitive.

I've thought about splashing green in my R/B deck, but it would mainly be for Back to Nature in the SB.  Aside from giving me a great answer to a potential Leyline of Sanctity, I also see a lot of Bogle in my local meta.

The downside to splashing additional colors in RDW is that it is very difficult to support additional colors through basic lands given how many of our red spells require red mana only.  Shocks and fetches are the way to splash, but this leaves the deck very weak to a Blood Moon.

For the time being, I am running one Swamp in my deck and using 4x Marsh Flats, 4x Arid Mesa, and 4x Blood Crypt with the rest of the lands being basic Mountain.  My manabase is greedy enough as is without splashing for green.  I really wish Bloodstained Mire would get reprinted so I could replace the Marsh Flats.
I'd definitely play Grudge over Spree.  Being able to hit a Cranial Plating post-equip, a Batterskull ever or a man land is pretty crucial.  Rakdos Charm is very good, and would have a few board slots in any R/b/x version, but for other reasons other than it just being artifact hate.

Shaman is nuts in Burn with only black mana, but depending on the metagame, you can choose to have a green source as well.  You wouldn't necessarily need to shock yourself to get green, you'd just EOT fetch the Stomping Grounds tapped.

Being weak to Blood Moon isn't a problem.  In fact, even the 4-color Burn deck isn't weak to Moon effects.  You'd have at most 12-16 spells that are 100% uncastable under a Moon in the 4-color version, and since it's post-board, you're probably shaving those.  Blood Moon really isn't that common in the metagame at the moment either.  And if you expect Blood Moon to be present or be good, you'd be playing either the mono-red or R/b version already.
Thank you for your suggestions.