[2] Steam Giveaway Contest

141 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here is a list of games.
They're currently all mine.
However, one of them could be yours. All you need to do is excite me, more than the rest.

These contests will revolve around designs on topics I find challenging, with the requirement that you design a number of cards to prove me otherwise. The winner of the contest can claim an item from my steam inventory. The contest will be open for at least 5 days.

Criteria
Make a card that would enable a new playstyle with a meaningful distinction from current options. You have freedom of interpretation, but it should present the player with a different gameplay experience compared to other decks.

Prohibited Item Choices

The following items are not eligible to be chosen.

• Indie Bundle II

• Indie Bundle V

• Endless Space

More Details

• I will comment every desing, but I will assign no points.

• The price of the games have no impact. You choose one.

• I will not accept requests outside of what I currently have.

• In the unlikely event that none of the submissions are of a high enough standard, there will be no winner.

• As a requirement to transfer the prize, you need to be on my friend list. You are free to remove me afterwards.

• If you wish to forward the game to a friend, inform me about it. Transportation of the game without notification will result in disqualification from further contests.

• I will only accept forwarding to accounts that are on your friendlist as the contest ends.

• Should you have any problems with any of these rules, know that I do not care in the slightest.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Can I have Dota 2 Mown
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
I don't use Steam, if I participate and win can I just have you give it to someone else?

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Define current options. What are we designing for? Standard, Modern, Legacy, Vintage?

I mean, your criteria is vague enough that I can make a card that is a great enabler for White Weenie and justify that White Weenie is unviable in Vintage and plays unlike the other vintage decks (as viable and ubiquitous it is in other formats).
Can I have Dota 2 Mown

You have plenty as is, you greedy gender-insecure anime person.
I don't use Steam, if I participate and win can I just have you give it to someone else?

Sure, I suppose. You can also just enter for critique/fame if you'd prefer.
Define current options. What are we designing for? Standard, Modern, Legacy, Vintage? I mean, your criteria is vague enough that I can make a card that is a great enabler for White Weenie and justify that White Weenie is unviable in Vintage and plays unlike the other vintage decks (as viable and ubiquitous it is in other formats).

You're designing for Magic: the Gathering.

Yxoque wrote:

People often assume vintage decks means playing only the best cards of all sets occurs which is inaccurate for most vintage builds.
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

I honestly never did that ever. I'll have to think about this.
Sure, I suppose. You can also just enter for critique/fame if you'd prefer.

yeah I mainly just didn't want to enter if my winning would mean no one got anything. then I'd be a jerk. 

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

You have no idea how many people do that at grand prix trials.
vintage should be limitted to highlander

this is a repeat, but let's get this contest started.

Black Jack Enchant World
[If another Enchant World enters play,
   sacrifice this.
]
At the start of each player's upkeep,
 that player draws to 2 or more cards in hand.
Each Active player may either
 skip his/her draw step
 or discard his/her hand at end of turn.
All spells cost an additional to cast
~"hit me"
NO WAR

Sivitri Scarzam rose to challenge the Craw Wurm but was slain by Durkwood Boars.

Liliana emergent

Ooooh, Space Chem, I've been meaning to get that for awhile now.
Old Idea

Hrm, preliminary entry.

Xanados Gambit
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent would declare a target, instead you and that opponent each write a legal target down and reveal them simultaniously. If you both choose the same target, put a counter on Xanados Gambit, then that opponent targets the target he choose.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if Xanados Gambit has 7 or more counters on it, you win the game.
Yes, yes, just as expected

Currently the wording, mana cost, name, number of counters, and win check trigger are probably all wrong, but I might fix them later. I'm also not so sure this actually alters style of play to the extent of something like the advent of Turbo Fog or No Interaction Combo or even Zedruu the Greathearted.

Sacrifice
Creature - Avatar
Whenever a spell is cast, Any other player may pay any amount of life, exile any amount of cards from the top of their library, or sacrifice any number of permanents. The spell's caster may match this payment, if they don't counter that spell.
4/4
"In war there is no payment that will not be asked, the only question is will you pay everything?" Urza, to Barrin

This enables lifegain decks, mill decks, perhaps even helps some token decks. Hopefully you know the story of Barrin, but if not, Well-Laid Plans, Recover and Obliterate (Invasion) all tell good snippets of his story (He was Urza's right hand man).
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Pulling the Strings
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant opponent
You control enchanted player during his or her upkeep step. (You see all cards that player could see and make all decisions for the player.)
The Dimir's most subtle methods are reserved for those in power.

This would go in some sort of crazy opponent-upkeep-effect deck. I'm not sure if there are enough cards yet that could go in such a deck, but some designs do come to mind. (Existing examples: Call to the Grave, Braids, Cabal Minion, Fatespinner) Failing that, you can at least make them cast instants or hose their own upkeep effects.

There really isn't any deck out there right now that focuses on making the opponent do things. (Mindslaver recursion isn't a strategy, it's a win condition.)
Also, you guys are free and/or encouraged to post any sort of explanatory tidbit. I don't think the criteria will give everyone the same train of though, and I'm not entirely sure where I'm even going with the criteria.

Yxoque wrote:

Question: Does this alternate playstyle have to particularly fun?

Let say I invented Counter/Top for the first time.  Top was banned for slowing the game down to a crawl and being generally unfun. Would you look down on unfun new playstyles even if they lead to unique experiences?  
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
There's an argument to be made that games should be fun. However, proper excecution of the criteria is probably going to be more beneficial for the overall score, and I can't deny that people prefer different playstyles. I'd probably say that it's more important that it's interactive rather than fun, or failing that, possibly difficult to pilot. It all depends though.

Yxoque wrote:

Note to self- contests with prizes get responses.

I'm going to hve to look into this. I assume that the cards must be original to the contest?
I'm going to hve to look into this. I assume that the cards must be original to the contest?

Since this contest is more about me wanting to see cool cards, I care more about how excited I get about it. If I've seen it before, chances are you're at a disadvantage. However, you're free to do whatever you want.

Yxoque wrote:

I have seen mown excited once before...we didn't sleep for a week.
Avatars enter the battlefield with a charge counter on them. At the beginning of your turn, your avatars get a charge counter if they don't already have one.

You may remove a charge counter from an avatar you control whenever you could cast an instant. If you do, activate the ability in its spell box.

Your opponents may attack your avatars with creatures, which you can block. They deal damage to avatars as they do to you.

• The number on the bottom of an avatar is its life total. When it is reduced to zero, the avatar's controller loses the game.

Crackling
Stickbundle

[Crackling Stickbundle deals 3 damage to target creature, player, or avatar.]
That is quite the criterion.  A new play style, huh?

Misery of the Mind
Enchantment
When Misery of the Mind enters the battlefield, target opponent puts the top five cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
If a card an opponent would  be put into an opponent's graveyard, exile it face down instead.
You may look at face down exiled cards.

It feeds into milling, but it plays into a more interesting concept of misinformation.  Your opponent doesn't know what's gone, but you do.  A crafty player might find ways to utilize some mind games here...
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
Eye Opener
Creature - Human Shaman
Haste
Conjure (If this would deal damage to a player, instead search your library for a card with converted mana cost equal to that damage, reveal it, and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.)
3/1

The idea is supposed to be aggro-combo. You're trying to get creatures to connect with your opponent's face as a means of finding pieces and going off. I am intending this card to be an example, and the Conjure mechanic would appear on a bunch of cards in a set.

I tried to make it so they wouldn't get played in normal aggro decks by having it not be able to actually damage the opponent. I guess they might still use it for the card advantage but that seems janky.

If you can feel your mind grasping for ways to make this work, that means I've probably succeeded, no?
Species/Class cards are played in your Command Zone. Any player may choose 1 species and up to 2 classes prior to the beginning of the game. At the beginning of each upkeep, players may put one level up counter on any species/class card. All abilities on each species/class card activate once per owner's turn if they have counters less that or equal to the corresponding number.

Wood Elf
[green]
Species - Elf
[1] At the beginning of your upkeep, add to your mana pool.
[3] At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 1/1 green elf creature token onto the battlefield.
[5] At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on each Elf creature you control.
[8] Play with the top card of your library revealed. You may play an addtional land card each turn.

Shaman [green]
Class - Shaman
[2] At the beginning of your upkeep, add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
[4] At the beginning of your upkeep, put 3/3 green centaur creature token onto the battlefield.
[6] At the beginning of your upkeep, gain 1 life for each creature you control.       
[10] Put an emblem onto the battlefield with "Green creatures you control get +1/+1.
Don't play video games - how about if I win, you must change your avatar to a certain pretentious picture of yourself that we both know exists? For one day. And then you can change it back.

Also, I'm not winning because there are some epic1 entries in this thread. But maybe I'll try later. 

1. Sorry!

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Here's my train of thought.

If there's only one card I'm making to create an entirely new archetype, which would be viable, I imagine there are two criteria for me to meet:

1. That the deck, sans my card, is unplayable.
2. That the card is resilient enough to not leave me without it, and thus make criteria 1 ruin my day.

And I don't mean hexproof-like-resilient, I mean slaughter-games-doesn't matter-resilient.

Wisdom of the Ages ()()
Enchantment

While ~ is exiled, its effect applies as if it was on the battlefield.
You cannot pay costs to place level counters on permanents. Instead, at the beginning of the end step of each of your turns, place one level counter on each creature with Level Up you control.
If multiple instances of Wisdom of the Ages are exiled or on the battlefield, only one applies.

Besides the obvious intention of making a never before seen level up deck viable, this card introduces a new strategy - long game aggro. Your creatures are stronger the more they survive, and thus, unlike in traditional aggro, you will want to stay back and bolster your units most of the time. It's also one of the few kinds of aggro that always interacts favorably with board stalls.
scrapped ideas

Omnipresence
Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, if there's a card named Omnipresence in your graveyard, reveal you hand. Then if there's a card named Omnipresence in your hand, search your library for a card named Omnipresence and reveal it. If you do, you win the game.
"Being everywhere is the first step towards knowing everything."

New Card Supertype: Forbidden

Rules:
1) A deck can only have one forbidden card in it.
2) If you cast a Forbidden card but didn't reveal it to your opponent before shuffling your deck, you lose the game.
3) At the beginning of each game, you may reveal a Forbidden card to your opponents before shuffling your deck. If you do, until the end of that game, at the begining of your upkeep, each opponent may pay 2 life to look at your hand. You may then pay 2 life to prevent them from doing so.
4) Seeing a card: A card is considered "seen" by an opponent if they come to know of their existence in your hand in any way except you casting it (that includes discarding it, that player looking at your hand, the card being exiled from your hand, you revealing that card, etc) NOTE: An opponent finding a Forbidden card while searching your library does NOT count as being seen.
5) Forbidden cards have timing restrictions, meaning you can't cast them during certain turns (generally the initial ones).

Forgotten Knowledge
Forbidden Sorcery
Draw three cards.
You can't cast ~ during your first, second, or third turns of the game.
If an opponent sees ~, you lose the game.

If I knew I could get away with calling the card "Ancestral Taboo", I would have done it.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Magic needs more cards like Goblin Game which are very mindgamey and cause a lot of fun bargaining and wheel and dealing in multiplayer.

Wartime Negotiations
Enchantment R
If a creature would die, exile it instead.
Choose any number of cards exiled with ~: Return those cards to their owners hands unless an opponent pays .
On Bant, the exchange of wartime prisoners has grown so prevalent that no war in the last thousand years has claimed any casualties.
Note to self- contests with prizes get responses.

Yes, and it's brilliant.

Mown, I tip my hat to you.

Except I don't wear hats.

And I hate you.

For thinking of this before me.

~SE++ 

http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/index.php

Don't play video games - how about if I win, you must change your avatar to a certain pretentious picture of yourself that we both know exists? For one day. And then you can change it back.

I'll have you know that finding it requires very minimal effort on your part.
For thinking of this before me.

You'd have to beat me by a year then, this is the second one.
Although it's more because I would actually like to give some people in the community something tangible, and my library is full of games I never end up playing anyway, so I just store them in my inventory for times like these. I'll try to make it something I do more regularily.

Yxoque wrote:

I'll post a card soon cause I like the criterion. But I don't use/want steam, so I'll do the same as razor. :>
"The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the soul's tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore must the soul deceive, despise and murder men."The Durai Papers

I'd rather be surprised. Plus I still don't know how. Anyway. . . 

Fjordfighter Ascendion
Creature - Human Whale Warrior
Whenever Fjordfighter Ascendion leaves the battlefield, he enters Valhascera.
Whenever another creature dies, if Fjordfighter Ascendion is in Valhascera, that creature joins him there.
When the seventh creature enters Valhascera, the battlefield becomes Valhascera.

3/4 

You. . . Love it? The art for it is a pretentious picture of a young Norwegian man, except with viking helmet and spear photoshopped in - and maybe some pastel aura-y stuff around him (assuming he isn't already dressed like a viking in his pretentious picture?!).

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
If I were hosting you would insta win.
Ha, well thank you. Here's hoping you're Mown's MUP. But, honestly have you checked out the other entries here? I could confuse this thread with the CoTW nomination thread easily.

139359831 wrote:
I'd rather be surprised. Plus I still don't know how.

It's almost right in front of your face. Just giving you the url would be too easy.
With all this suspense you'd probably even get disappointed.

Yxoque wrote:

How about if I win you bake me a cake and then mail it to me.
I like your Boat!!!

139359831 wrote:
How about if I win you bake me a cake and then mail it to me.

I'm sure it would be pretty after a trip over the ocean.
I like your Boat!!!

Uh. Sure.

Yxoque wrote:

Iridescent Anchor -- 
Creature - Spirit Illusion
As long as Iridescent Anchor is not a card, it gets +2/+2 and gains hexproof.
A successful wizard has the power to make his dreams real. A wise wizard fears to.
2/3
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Wait, but nothing in that picture was pretentious? . . . except maybe that smug boat. . .

139359831 wrote:
that boat belongs to no one

ignore it
NO WAR

Liliana emergent

Wait, but nothing in that picture was pretentious? . . . except maybe that smug boat. . .

Oh, right. The picture from limbo.

Yxoque wrote:

Psychic Doppleganger

Enchantment - Aura
Enchant Opponent
If Psychic Doppleganger is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield, attached to target opponent.  If you do, at the begining of the first turn's upkeep, shuffle your hand into your library and draw six cards.
Whenever you would draw a card, instead exile the top card of enchanted player's library face-down.
You may look at play cards exiled with Psychic Doppleganger.

If I win, I guess I'll have to dust off my steam account and install steam on this computer...

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Sign In to post comments