Pakistan (Green/White Soul Sisters)

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nothing particuarly complicated here, just fun stuff, Modern legal, which explains why I'm not writing up some fancy primer (although maybe when I have some more time I'll do one). Soul Warden and Essence Warden along with Suture Priest support and pump Ajani's Pridemate. Ajani's Pridemate is our primary win condition, and with Rancor, he really wrecks town. Obstinate Baloth also can hit pretty hard with Rancor and he helps us gain more life when he enters the battlefield. Oblivion Ring hits planeswalkers, enchantments along with creatures, but usually Path To Exile will remove creatures for us, we could also run Condemn here. Wall of Reverence can block fliers and has amazing synergy with Ajani's Pridemate to the point where our opponents will never be able to catch up. Immortal Servitude saves us from a board wipe. We can spend 4 mana to get our sisters back, or 5 mana to get our Suture Priests and Ajani's Pridemates back. Well of Lost Dreams helps us draw cards thanks to all the life we will gain, The land base speaks for itself, and isn't very complex but Stirring Wildwood is there as another alternate win condition.

Creatures (20)
4x Soul Warden
4x Essence Warden
4x Suture Priest
4x Ajani's Pridemate
2x Obstinate Baloth
2x Wall of Reverence

Support (4)
4x Rancor

Board Control (8)
4x Oblivion Ring
4x Path To Exile

Card Advantage (6)
3x Immortal Servitude
3x Well of Lost Dreams

Land (22)
8x Plains
6x Forest
4x Razorverge Thicket
2x Stirring Wildwood
2x Brushland

Ideal play is something like:
Turn one: Essence Warden
Turn two Ajani's Pridemate
Turn three: Suture Preist and Rancor on Ajani's Pridemate.

Assuming your opponent played a creature on turn 2 you will be swinging for 7 with trample with Ajaini's Pridemate on turn 3. They will blow him up soon, which is why on turn 4 or 5 you play another one or you play Obstinate Baloth and attach Rancor again.

It's pretty budget friendly if you don't run Path To Exile, although Rancor continues to go up in price. Bemoth Sledge is a decent substitute and the lifelink is nice, but I think it's too slow and easier to get rid of. The deck is easy to play, but you do have to decide what to remove and when, and how defensive to be. Usually we should play Obstinate Baloth over Wall of Reverence. Play the wall if we are really on the defense, especiallly against something like Baneslayer Angel or play it if we have one of our fatties out for the lifegain we can get.

Note: Deck title comes from the colors of the Pakistan flag Green and White along with the nation's historical foriegn policy and defense which tends to be passive agressive like the deck. 

Questions, concerns, thoughts? 

I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
You could use armadillo cloak instead of rancor, the lifegain is actually a nice buffer.

I feel like there are 2 problems with this deck.
(1) You are relying on getting a perfect draw. You only have the baloth and the pridemate to actually attack with, which is a real problem.
(2) You have basically 3 kinds of soul wardens, but nothing that makes tokens or abuses their ability. In essence, you're relying on your opponent to play creatures.

These can be fixed by limiting the amount of support cards, and increasing the number of possible wincons. First, if your goal is to just attack with ajani's pridemate, then good luck. I've tried, and it will eat removal every time. Try to abuse the soul warden cards by using token producers. Nemata, grove guardian, ant queen, mobilization, whatever: just make a bunch of tokens to trigger the soul sisters. Then, use something that automatically gets buffed by those tokens: ajani's pridemate, crusader of odric, juniper order ranger, etc. Now you have big buffed creatures and a small army of tokens, and hopefully a bunch of life.

If you're willing, you could splash black for infernal genesis (which is good with blood seeker and suture priest), and phyrexian reclamation instead of immortal servitude to get creatures back.
HOW TO AUTOCARD! When posting in a text box, type [c]Plains[/c] to make your post showPlains.
Are you making a casual mill deck? Please read.
Control is the key of a mill deck. You should free up your mana as much as possible so that you can respond to whatever your opponent is doing. Having some way to remove threats, both real and percieved, is necessary to survival. Real threats are those that are already on the field, and are something a simple unsummon or doom blade can remove. Percieved threats are those that aren't on the field, something a simple duress or counterspell can deal with. Controlling the board will allow your mill deck to continuously perform, if you use permanent style mill, that is. One-Shot Mill spells are something you should avoid. You can toss tome scours at your opponent until your hand runs out, but that isn't going to be enough to mill them to death. With 1-shot mill spells, like tome scour, you have to treat them like burn spells. Therefore, the only "good" 1-shot mill spells are sanity grinding (in the right deck) and mind funeral. Try to find more permanent styles of milling, like memory erosion, hedron crab, and curse of the bloody tome, so that you don't have to waste your mana each turn doing something that those permanents can do with a single mana/turn investment. Keeping your mana open allows you to respond with control elements. ​Traumatize Rant​. Traumatize is a terrible card for a multitude of reasons. First, it costs 5 to cast, which is a large investment for a mill deck. Milling half a library sounds neat, but if you do the math, it really isn't that much. An average 60 card deck starts with drawing 7 cards. Then, barring any draw spells on their end, or ramp on yours, 5 turns will go by, where they draw 5 more cards, leaving 48 in the deck. Unless they had a deck with more than 60 cards, or you ramped it out, the most you'll ever mill with a single Traumatize on turn 5 is 24 cards. That's not too shabby, but hang on, there's more! If they drew any additional cards or if they were milled before turn 5, that number will be much lower. In addition, any more Traumatize's you draw will only mill less and less as the game goes on...which is the point of a mill deck. My whole point on Traumatize is the it is NOT worth the 5 mana investment, not even with haunting echoes. You can mill more than 24 before turn 5...which you can then cast the echoes. If you look at a mill deck like a burn deck, you'll notice that it takes longer to win with mill than with burn. For example, lightning bolt costs 1 and does 3 out of the 20 damage needed to win (barring any lifegain or damage prevention). For mill, that same investment of 1 would have to mill 9 cards out of an average 60 card deck to be the equivilent of lightning bolt. The problem is that there is no mill card that can do that...except hedron crab, over a period of time. The initial investment of 1 will pay off in 3 more land drops to make the crab equal to a bolt. However, the crab nets you more mill beyond those 3 land drops, making it better as the game draws on. Other cards, like curse of the bloody tome, are excellent ways of milling an opponent because the initial investment of is all you have to pay in order to put your opponent on a clock. All you have to do is stay alive, which is the true goal of a mill strategy. There are other ideas for mill decks that are specific to certain types of strategies. Combo mill decks can mill an entire player's library out from under them. Secondary mill strategies are usually tied to another strategy, like drowner of secrets in a merfolk deck, or halimar excavator in an ally deck. Milling can be done in certain decks that are able to ramp out enough mana to make use of the higher costing mill spells, like using 16 post to pay for X on sands of delirium or for ambassador laquatus. Multiplayer mill decks are even tougher to build, but can be done. Being a slower environment, it is easier to ramp in multiplayer, allowing for big X spells, like mind grind, to be useful. Consuming aberration is another star player. The more straightforward strategy is to use mesmeric orb and dreamborn muse while being the only deck at the table that can deal with it. There are always new strategies coming out with each set, so check gatherer for any new mill cards that you find to be the most fun for you! Now you can say that you haven't fallen into the trap that most new players fall into when they build their first mill deck!
Forgot to mention this, which is odd because I mention it in every other deck I post, but I build modern decks and I want this deck to be modern legal so the some of the cards you mentioned I can't run (Armadillo Cloak, Phyrexian Reclaimation, etc.)

I would not say I am relying on getting a perfect draw, I just said what the idea situation is. However, when it comes to my opening hand (before I draw) I have about a 65% chance of getting a soul sister. I have about a 65% chance of getting Ajani's Pridemate, Obstinate Baloth, or Stirring Wildwood (win conditions I can attach Rancor to). And I have greater than 40% chance of getting a Rancor. Keep in mind this is just opening hand stuff, after a few turns, I will draw more cards. I'm running life gain with control elements, and I have an excellent draw engine so I have time to get the cards I need. To be honest I haven't done a lot of testing really, but from testing hand draw the scenario I posted is not unorthadox or anything.

I'm not trying to gain buckets of life which is why I don't have a token generator, or Rhox Faithmender, or Norin the Wary. It's the same reason I'm not running something like Chalice of Life or Test of Endurance. At the same time, I have enough creatures where I should be playing at least one every turn which is plenty to help Ajani's Pridemate grow, not to mention the creatures my opponent will play. 

Splashing black is cool, very cool, but a totally different deck, that would run stuff like Blood Artist, Blood Seeker, Genesis Chamber and the new Orzhov Guildmage who's name I can't recall now. 

For what it's worth, I do have a Soul Sisters deck that is more like the one you are proposing Keino. It gains insane amounts of life by abusing enter the battlefield effects and token spawning and I'm always looking for more feedback on it.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens) 
I don't bite, don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about deck ideas I post or anything Magic the Gathering related. My Causal Modern Decks Swag Flu (Mono Black Infect) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29788619/Swag_Flu_(Mono_Black_Infect) American Super Friends (White/Blue/Red Planeswalker Control) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29772319/American_Super_Friends_(Budget_WhiteBlueRed_Planeswalker_Control) Hong Kong (White/Red Norin Tokens)http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29636557/Hong_Kong_(WhiteRed_Norin_Tokens)
Funny coincidence how I was about to post my Immortal Soul Sisters decklists while you posted this .. maybe we can both gain some insights from the others postings. instead of your i chose either or .. with more focus on CMC for the Servitude.

Link to the thread with my 2 decklists. i hope you don't see this as some kind of thread hijacking .. just wanted to share since there are similar ideas. I'm gonna edit my thread with a link to your thread too.
Yeah, and I thought about posting up the W/R version I've been inspired to with the influx of Soul Sisters threads. I'm more surprised no one is running Auriok Champion. If I had a buck for every Soul Warden that's gone down to a Lightning Bolt or Terror (or any of the myriad of variations)...
Yeah, and I thought about posting up the W/R version I've been inspired to with the influx of Soul Sisters threads. I'm more surprised no one is running Auriok Champion. If I had a buck for every Soul Warden that's gone down to a Lightning Bolt or Terror (or any of the myriad of variations)...

check my version ... it's based on CMc 2 so the champion was the "soul sister" of choice. But honetly the $-tag attached to Auriok Champion is probably the major reason it's seen so seldomly.
Wow, I had them laying around, but just checked out the price. Kinda surprised me.
I don't see the point of the green splash since you can just run soul's attendant over essence warden, unless you really want rancor and that baloth. Ageless Entity might be a good reason though, or Scavenging Ooze if it wasn't illegal in modern and expensive :v You could run Behemoth Sledge or Loxodon Warhammer instead of rancor if you liked the Armadillo Cloak idea, although 4 of either would be too many probably.

Serra Ascendant?

Vitu-Ghazi, The City-Tree is never a bad idea to have a few copies of if your manabase can handle it, and your rancor or equipment would love always having some kind of target, as well as it triggering all of the soul sisters.
The green is really just for Rancor, it seems silly, but it's a huge deal being able to swing and trample in turn 3 with Ajani's Pridemate. Loxodon Warhammer is just way too slow, and it's also too fragile. The Stirring Wildwood is also pretty nice.

Serra Ascendant is too expensive money wise.

Ageless Entity is cool, it's 5 mana, but cool, maybe worth running over Baloth.
I agree with more tokens for all the reasons listed above. my favorites include militia's pride and twilight drover. another thing I love about tokens is when they're in a green deck, overrun, overwhelming stampede and beastmaster ascension become hilariously good.

if you run ageless entity, look into getting wall of reverence as well.
Jeez, $8.00 a piece? What deck is it in?
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
Jeez, $8.00 a piece? What deck is it in?

A few BW token builds in modern run it. But only a handful of decks that run it have made it to the top 16 at events the last two years.

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=