DLCR: Mental Vapors

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Todays other GTC card to rate is...

Mental Vapors

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what.  I will always play this card.
4.5: Splashable and first pick worthy.
4.0: First pick pack 1.
3.5: Early pick though not always a first pick.
3.0: Solid early/mid pick.
2.5: Solid pick in color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

This card is bad.  It's overcosted and will become useless as the game progresses.

Discuss! 
I think .5 is closer to where I'm at.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I keep thinking this one is bad and yet my opponents keep getting solid value out of this. I'll go 1.0.
2.0, better than Purge the Profane and generally is stripping answers from your opponent's hand. Does a good job of protecting all your other Cipher cards.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
.5, not playable. Sorry. Having to jump through a hoop AND pay an extra mana to get a mind rot effect is what this is going to be most of the time.
Have to disagree with Dr. Demento-Purge the profane is a good card and having one in your Orzhov deck is very nice.

When you cast purge  and your opponent has 2-3 cards in hand you often will be winning and the life gain is nice for Orzhov.

This card is 1.0

I would be very hard pressed to mainboard this and would only sideboard if my pool was extremely weak and my opponent was playing a very slow deck and I had the evasion to support it, and my 4 slot was shallow. 
bulletd Guidelines: 5.0: I will take this card no matter what. Creature 1 or playable 1 or hate 1.Archangel of Thune 4.5: Bomb and splashable. Creature 1-2, playable 1-2, removal 1. Jace, Memory Adept 4.0: Excellent first pick first pack, will sway me into same colors. Creatures 1-4, removal 1. Haunted Plate Mail 3.5: Excellent first pack pick two, will confirm colors or possibly sway into second color. Doom Blade 3.0: Good in-color addition, or splashable removal/creature. Creatures 3-9, removal 1-3. wall of Frost 2.5: Solid pick in-color; creatures 5-12, removal 3-5. Dark Favor 2.0: Creatures 10-16; removal 6-7. Elvish Mystic 1.5: My 23rd or 22nd card, depending on removal. Act of Treason 1.0: 23rd card if I don't maindeck an additional land. Lay of the Land 0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in. Brave the Elements 0.0: I will shred this card for counters. Darksteel Forge
This card has done better than I thought it would do. I've seen Purge underperform much more than this, and Purge has waaaay less synergy with Extort.

This can actually remove your opponents abilities to deal with it, and cripple their mana base (most people toss their lands in an attempt to hold onto other cards). Played late game, this removes your opponents ability hold anything back. They play turn by turn, or they lose what they drew.

That being said, I'd still say it's among the weakest of the ciphers. I'd rather be drawing (guarenteed) than the chance at forcing an opponent to discard.

Have to disagree with Dr. Demento-Purge the profane is a good card and having one in your Orzhov deck is very nice.

When you cast purge  and your opponent has 2-3 cards in hand you often will be winning and the life gain is nice for Orzhov.

This card is 1.0

I would be very hard pressed to mainboard this and would only sideboard if my pool was extremely weak and my opponent was playing a very slow deck and I had the evasion to support it, and my 4 slot was shallow. 

So the issue with this card is being needing to attack? Becuase this nets more cards on average than purge. I mean, I like most Mind Rot effects in limited, including Purge, but I just find this one to be more solid.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
My issue with this card is that I would rather be ciphering shadow slice, call of the nightwing, or hands of binding, even last thoughts would be better. Given there is very limited room in a 40-card deck for these ciphers, running this one means not running one of the other ones. I might try this card someday in a basilica screecher deck that somehow missed the above-mentioned ciphers.
I have played Purge The Profane once. I have not played this card at all.
I guess if its the best thing you have at 4, its ok, but I'd rather have a dude.