New to Magic first, (What I think is) a competitive Boros Human Burn Deck, some help would be great!

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey, so, I'm new to magic, and the forums in fact, and I have recenetly picked up the Boros Rally and Rout event deck, the deck it self is quite good (from what I have been told) and looking at the cards my self there are quite a few good rares like [C]Champion of the Parish[/C], [C]Spark Trooper[/C] & [C]Ash Zealot[/C]. And I've enjoyed playing it with and against my friends which I have been winning quite a lot of games with against there more finally tooned decks and them having more experiance, so I've been getting quite cocky as you would :D. And I've came with a deck that I thought would be good in tournament play and such!

Lands:

7 [C]Mountain[/C]
7 [C]Plains[/C]
4 [C]Clifftop Retreat[/C]
4 [C]Slayers' Stronghold[/C]

Creatures:

4 [C]Boros Elite[/C]
4 [C]Ash Zealot[/C]
4 [C]Champion of the Parish[/C]
4 [C]Doomed Traveler[/C]
4 [C]Silverblade Paladin[/C]
4 [C]Spark Trooper[/C]
2 [C]Thalia, Guardian of Thraben[/C]

Spells:
4 [C]Boros Charm[/C]
4 [C]Gather the Townsfolk[/C]
4 [C]Searing Spear[/C]

Sideboard: (Still needing to be worked out but I know I'll be sticking a playset of Firefist strikers in there)

4 [C]Firefist Striker[/C]

Hopefully I've done the card linking right. Like I said, any advice would be great guys :D.

Cheers

Notevenow

Anything?
Doomed Traveler is far from being able to compete with what Boros Elite and Champion of the Parish brings to the table. I'd switch them out for Hellriders who are simply an all-star in any creature aggro deck.

For your sideboard maybe some enchant removal (Detention Sphere) and something to deal with graveyards and Reanimator decks (your deck should be fast enough to kill before Reanimator starts doing work but incase he is stopping your assault at any price, you might need something to clear his/her graveyard Rakdos Charm or answer the wrath of the Angel of Glory's Rise).

On a sidenote, if you can manage to Soulbound the Paladin to the Spark Trooper, you just broke the game and unless they instant down the Trooper change the boardsetting by a whole lot.
The mana base is in serious need of help. Your mana costs are low, but the color requirements are insane. You are asking the deck to give you:

Turn 1:
Turn 2:
Turn 3:
Turn 4:

That's difficult even if you were running a full set of Sacred Foundry but instead you have Slayers' Stronghold. You might consider taking out Ash Zealot for something less red-intensive (maybe Firefist Striker), which would let you lean the deck white. That, or fork out for the spendy shocklands and cut the strongholds down some.

More on the Firefist Striker: It isn't a sideboard card. If you don't want it maindeck, I'd just leave it off the list altogether. What opposing deck out there is going to suddenly make you decide that the Firefists need to come in now if you don't think they should be maindeck in the first place? Knight of Glory is a sideboard card vs black, for example. I can't fill in the blank for "Firefist Striker is a sideboard card for ______".

Expect to see your Silverblade Paladin cards face removal as soon as they show on the board. It doesn't always happen and the Paladin is definitely worth playing, but the strength of that card is no secret anymore.

I have a similar deck (went 4-1 in my last FNM game) and as an experiment I'm trying a pair of Bloodcrazed Neonate. I figure someday I'll have the vampire be able to attack an empty board on turn three with a Silverblade Paladin backing her up. Even though the vampire probably isn't actually a great card for me, that is a day I want to see!

I recommend Moment of Heroism as a sideboard card vs aggro, especially aggro of the Gruul varieties that you can't outrace if they are on their game. Aggro is prevalent enough in my area that I'm running three of them maindeck now.
D&D rules were never meant to exist without the presence of a DM. RAW is a lie.
I would also vote against Thalia, Guardian of Thraben if you are going to run 12x non-creature spells. You can try going 4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and cutting your non-creature spells to 6-8.

Also, you ideally want 4x Sacred Foundry. I wonder if Frontline Medic has a role here. And you need a finisher, like Hellrider or Firemane Avenger.
Thanks for the advice guys. As you can see, this was my first deck I came up with so I'm not to suprised if it is, well... crap.

As of now I'm still playing with the Rally and Rout event deck. What you guys reccommend to drop and add in. From what I've seen and taken in is:

1) Get a playset of [C]Sacred Foundry[/C] - Dropping all the Slayers Strongholds?
2) Some [C]Frontline Medic[/C] 2 or 3, maybe 4?
3) Drop some of the more red intensive cards?

1) Get a playset of [C]Sacred Foundry[/C] - Dropping all the Slayers Strongholds?

I think you can keep 2x Slayer's Stronghold. You can also use Cavern of Souls to help your mana fixing issue.

That was just me thinking outloud – I don't know how good he would be. The card you really want is Boros Reckoner, but he is very expensive (for a good reason).

You need at least fifteen sources to have a roughly even chance of playing Ash Zealot on turn two. Roughtly even is not really what you should be shooting for. You should consider one-drops and more producers or 1 or two drops.

Cavern of Souls does help if the majority of your creatures share a sub-type. Be advised that people are proud of their Caverns; expect to pay upwards of $20 each.

I would pick or to concentrate on, especially for the one and two-drops. Avoid and costs in the same deck except possibly for a few higher-casting cost creatures.

There is a competitive, mostly deck archtype called - among other things - Barely Boros that uses Red-Deck-Wins as a basis and splashes a little for Boros Charm. It can use Skynight Legionnaire as well but Boros Reckoner is probably a better choice if you don't consider the budget (fifty cents for a set versus $100). It can use side-board cards such as Rest in Peace as well.

I'm not really familiar with a successful, mostly Boros archtype yet but I'm certainly not discounting the possibility.

Thanks for the advice guys. As you can see, this was my first deck I came up with so I'm not to suprised if it is, well... crap.

As of now I'm still playing with the Rally and Rout event deck. What you guys reccommend to drop and add in. From what I've seen and taken in is:

Your initial deck wasn't "crap", especially for a first effort. Don't be so down on yourself.

Yes, get some Sacred Foundry but keep an eye on your budget. Those things are trading at $15-$20 right now, so don't freak out if you can't get them all. In the meantime, I'd kick down the number of Slayers' Stronghold to one or two and replace the rest with Plains and Mountain.

Until you can get the foundries, Ash Zealot is overly ambitious. Just to make things simple, take them out and put in your copies of Firefist Striker. Let's take out the Doomed Traveler and put in something else. Red and white have tons of good two-drops at common rarities that could work, but Daring Skyjek would go along with your Battalion theme nicely. You are actually a bit shy on 2-drops right now, so I'm liking the sound of it.

After that, go play with the deck. Doing that will tell you what you need better than we can (or at least let you know what questions you should be asking).

Your initial deck wasn't "crap", especially for a first effort. Don't be so down on yourself.

Yes, get some Sacred Foundry but keep an eye on your budget. Those things are trading at $15-$20 right now, so don't freak out if you can't get them all. In the meantime, I'd kick down the number of Slayers' Stronghold to one or two and replace the rest with Plains and Mountain.

Until you can get the foundries, Ash Zealot is overly ambitious. Just to make things simple, take them out and put in your copies of Firefist Striker. Let's take out the Doomed Traveler and put in something else. Red and white have tons of good two-drops at common rarities that could work, but Daring Skyjek would go along with your Battalion theme nicely. You are actually a bit shy on 2-drops right now, so I'm liking the sound of it.

After that, go play with the deck. Doing that will tell you what you need better than we can (or at least let you know what questions you should be asking).

Thanks for all the advice, it's really helped a lot. I've gotten quite loucky with the Sacred Foundries as some of my freinds are willing to give me their spare ones for some beerfs so getting those won't be a problem, all I really need to find is those Daring Skyjek
It doesn't have to be Daring Skyjek. That's just what came to mind first. As long as you have the full set of Sacred Foundry, you could try keeping your set of Ash Zealot in the deck, then replace Doomed Traveler with Firefist Striker.

Again, a playtest is appropriate at this point.
wojek halberdiers is also a very good two drop, and it lets you use a white 1 drop turn one, then go into red turn 2, plus battalion first strike isnt half bad.
some of my freinds are willing to give me their spare ones for some beerfs so getting those won't be a problem

I want friends like yours.

I've been working on a Boros Humans deck too. Here's my list. I think it is fairly competative. 

Best case scenario seem to be: 

T1: Play War Falcon
T2: Play Knight of Glory, War Falcon swings 3
T3: Play Silverblade Paladin, soulbond to War Falcon. War Falcon swings 6
T4: Play Sublime Archangel. War Falcon swings 14

If that doesn't work, then it still has a ton of strong options available.
"Dare to fight, defy difficulties and advance wave upon wave... Monsters of all kinds shall be destroyed." - Mao Zedong

T1: Play War Falcon
T2: Play Knight of Glory, War Falcon swings 3
T3: Play Silverblade Paladin, soulbond to War Falcon. War Falcon swings 6
T4: Play Sublime Archangel. War Falcon swings 14

If that doesn't work, then it still has a ton of strong options available.

Champion of the Parish does the same thing for you. I like the Sublimes though, had a similar GW aggro deck that did very very well
Frontline Medic is a 3/3 for 3 that gives your dudes indestructible every turn, and also helps you counter Sphinx's Revelation.

That said, other than your mana base looking abysmal, your deck looks fine for an FNM or whatever. 

(at)MrEnglish22

Frontline Medic is a 3/3 for 3 that gives your dudes indestructible every turn, and also helps you counter Sphinx's Revelation.

That said, other than your mana base looking abysmal, your deck looks fine for an FNM or whatever. 

I think Kuro was referring to the decklist from post #7, which is more exalted themed. He's right: that deck doesn't have a good use for Frontline Medic.
Sign In to post comments