Punishing Weapon

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Source: Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium; search didn't yield anything on this topic from what I saw, and not currently in the Errata. 

If one character is dual-wielding Punishing Weapons, how should that be handled?

RAW doesn't seem to say anything explicity limiting dual-wielding (or, god forbid once they introduce a multi-armed race such as those in 3.5/3rd, multi-wielding). The only limit I could find on applying the "wounds" is "The first time each round you hit an enemy with this weapon" suggesting application is per-weapon, and the only limit on where the "wound"-based power bonus applies was "for each of these wounds that you have inflicted on it" which would prevent this from becoming a team-cluster WMD, but doesn't specify that the "wounds" must have been dealt with the same weapon, only same character. 

So my question: is my RAW interpretation correct?
A single character, TWF a single target with twin Punishing Weapons, should be able to apply one "wound" per hand per round and use all the "wounds" together when calculating the bonus, but will instantly lose all bonuses if either weapon targets anything else.

Similarly, two separate tallies could be built up on two adjacent targets by keeping each hand assigned to one of those targets. If one of the weapons then switched targets, the "wounds" on the original target are lost and either a new tally begins or the scenario becomes a single-target situation, as above; completely mirroring which weapon goes with which target or switching to completely different targets loses both sets of bonuses. 

Kinda scary when you think of what a TWF Ranger can do.... 

I'm not going to bother asking about non-weapon powers or missed attacks (RAW clearly says "when you hit another enemy with the weapon").
I can't help but think this may be worth an Errata; was kinda surprised there wasn't one already.... 
Dual-welding Punishing Weapons won't give anything more since each one grant you a power bonus and bonuses of the same type are not cumulative; only the highest bonus applies.

MME31 Punishing Weapons: The first time each round you hit an enemy with this weapon, you can choose to inflict a wound on the enemy. You gain a cumulative power bonus to damage rolls against the enemy for each of these wounds that you have inflicted on it

Hum, I'm still looking at how the RAW does use the word "cumulative" describing a power bonus for each of the "wounds" inflicted (without saying "inflicted on it with this weapon" which if they errata'd that in I'd drop the point entirely) and the first sentence still reads to me like it can apply one wound per round per Punishing Weapon to increase the "wound" count and thereby the power bonus faster.... 

Either way, the 2 adjacent enemies scenario should still stand; just keep each weapon focused and don't switch them and you should be able to get a bonus on both of them so long as you don't hit the wrong enemy with the wrong weapon (albeit this would be very limited in application). I've also noticed that the weapon in general seems to only be truly useful if you can't get another power bonus at all, or if your alternative sources are either tapped out, too short-term for the fight in question, or just extremely weak. 

I'll also point out that I missed that the description doesn't limit the bonus to just Punishing Weapons (so in theory you could just TWF one of these and say a Vorpal or Reaving or whatever and get the bonus on both for every attack), so that does reduce the value of using two of these unless you just really want to build the bonus really really fast.

I'm also noticing it does not distinctly restrict someone switching weapons completely mid-fight after building up a big bonus either.... albeit RAI might dispute that, and I wouldn't argue that point if it came up. 

I will admit I do hope they don't nerf it by implementing a way for enemies to remove these wounds, capping the bonus, switching it to an item bonus, or even restricting the power bonus to Punishing Weapons (or to the specific Punishing Weapon which applied the "wounds" in question).... It is a nice option if you don't have a massive power-bonus source otherwise. 
Hum, I'm still looking at how the RAW does use the word "cumulative" describing a power bonus for each of the "wounds" inflicted (without saying "inflicted on it with this weapon" which if they errata'd that in I'd drop the point entirely) and the first sentence still reads to me like it can apply one wound per round per Punishing Weapon to increase the "wound" count and thereby the power bonus faster....

Words like this and these to me indicate its wounds inflicted per weapon, which the comulative bonus is derived from.

MME31 Punishing Weapons: The first time each round you hit an enemy with this weapon, you can choose to inflict a wound on the enemy. You gain a cumulative power bonus to damage rolls against the enemy for each of these wounds that you have inflicted on it

Granted the bigger issue is that if you are a striker you should be inflicting Dead on the enemy a long time before punishing weapon enchant becomes relevant.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Just wondering if you're actually doing Dual Wielding correctly in your game?  Only powers that specifically say you can use two weapons allow you to use two weapons, so that usually restricts it to dual-wielding Rangers, and some Barbarian and Fighter powers.  For example, a Slayer with 2 weapons can't make 2 melee basics every round.
  Also, they have already added multi-armed races (the Thri-kreen) and they follow the same rules as everyone else.

The power bonus to damage would only apply to the Punishing weapon (due to the rule from Adventurer's Vault that weapon properties only apply to attacks made through that weapon), so if you have  Vorpal or other weapon in the other hand, it wouldn't gain the power bonus from the punishing weapon.
  Likewise, switching weapons would lose the effect.  You wouldn't actually lose the wounds on the creature, but any other weapon wouldn't get the power bonus.
The power bonus to damage would only apply to the Punishing weapon (due to the rule from Adventurer's Vault that weapon properties only apply to attacks made through that weapon), so if you have  Vorpal or other weapon in the other hand, it wouldn't gain the power bonus from the punishing weapon.
  Likewise, switching weapons would lose the effect.  You wouldn't actually lose the wounds on the creature, but any other weapon wouldn't get the power bonus.

I'll cede the point; somehow, I'd not noticed the AV property rule before it was pointed out, probably because the weapon descriptions are past it. In that case, someone going a few rounds with multiple Twin Strikes or whatever on two of these would build it up for each weapon separately, no stacking or switching or anything.... But no way to take advantage of other weapon properties either. Potentially a very weak tradeoff. 

As for why a striker might like this, I'm looking at massive end-game bosses (say, you're taking on Orcus or some DM-imagined tank abusing and amplifying one of those Revanent Ranger-Lich builds I've seen on the site) who I suspect are at best ludicrously difficult to take down in the nova round (which this property could, theoretically at least, make more powerful if one is willing to delay said nova round a few rounds). Also, it's mostly only worthwhile in a drought of strong power bonuses for said nova round (no artificer in the party, somehow never got a belt of titan strength, etc), especially given that you can't use other weapon properties/powers. 

Yes, I know you can only get multiple attacks with specific powers (and/or use of action points). 

Didn't know the Thri-Kreen were out yet; wandered the site a bit before posting and found a reference saying it's in Dark Sun Campaign Setting? I don't have a copy of that yet, I'll have to consider getting it.
While it could work well against certain solos and elites, a lot of enemies simply won't last long enough for the bonuses to build up enough and really pay off.  Plus it also would limit your actions because you couldn't do any of the following without losing the bonus:
Oppurtunity attack against another enemy
Immediate attack against another enemy
Any Close Burst attacks (rangers have a fair number of those)
Any attack that requires you to attack two separate targets

Also, whenever you do have to switch targets, the bonus goes back to 0.  Constant bonuses, even if they are smaller, will usually have better pay off in the long term.

I haven't seen one of the "Revenant Ranger-Lich" builds yet, but if that's a PC build, then the party shouldn't be facing it as an enemy.  While in 3/3.5 monsters and PCs followed the same rules and monsters could take class levels, etc, they follow very different rules in 4e, in terms of powers, healing surges, etc.
  Basically, PCs in 4e should never be fighting something else built like a PC.

The Thri-Kreen were brought back in DSCS because that's the setting they are most commonly associated with, although that's not where they were first published back in AD&D.  4e Thri-kreen can still only wield two weapons or weapon and shield the same as any other race.  The benefits they get from their additional (undersized) arms is that once per turn they can draw or stow an item as a free action instead of a minor action, and they have a racial melee 1 attack power that can target 1-3 enemies as a minor action, gets a boost to attack roll and damage with each tier, and gains a bonus to damage equal to the number of targets.

Sign In to post comments