Some idle speculation about post-RTR block

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ash Zealot and, to a lesser extent, Dryad Militant, Rest in Peace and Deathrite Shaman:
Hints that next block will have more graveyard mechanics?

Ash Zealot's final ability does literally nothing in RTR block so far, and it is unlikely that DGM will be any different. Dryad Militant doesn't really do anything either (Treasured Find, Serene Remembrance, and other marginally-playable cards are only affected by it outside of ISD's Flashback). Is R&D known to print cards that are explicitly meant to hose the former block's mechanics (though to be fair, Ash Zealot is good as a 2/2 hasty first-striker for 2)? I can't recall any ISD block cards that hose infect or other SOM themes/mechanics in a big way.

ISD did however have many nonlegendary multicolored cards, unlike SOM, that coincide with the next block's focus on multicolored cards. The full utility land cycle (Kessig Wolf Run), as well as the ISD duals are also notable for working well with RTR block's themes.

Bringing this all together, it seems plausible that post-RTR block will have graveyard-related mechanics. Or am I reading too far in?

I think graveyard interactions/recursion adds a lot of depth to constructed MTG and would be happy to see some more focus on it in the next block.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Ash Zealot and, to a lesser extent, Dryad Militant, Rest in Peace and Deathrite Shaman:

Ash Zealot's final ability does literally nothing in RTR block so far, and it is unlikely that DGM will be any different. Dryad Militant doesn't really do anything either (Treasured Find, Serene Remembrance, and other marginally-playable cards are only affected by it outside of ISD's Flashback). Is R&D known to print cards that are explicitly meant to hose the former block's mechanics (though to be fair, Ash Zealot is good as a 2/2 hasty first-striker for 2)? I can't recall any ISD block cards that hose infect or other SOM themes/mechanics in a big way.

ISD did however have many nonlegendary multicolored cards, unlike SOM, that coincide with the next block's focus on multicolored cards. The full utility land cycle (Kessig Wolf Run), as well as the ISD duals are also notable for working well with RTR block's themes.

Bringing this all together, it seems plausible that post-RTR block will have graveyard-related mechanics. Or am I reading too far in?

I think graveyard interactions/recursion adds a lot of depth to constructed MTG and would be happy to see some more focus on it in the next block.

Those graveyard hate cards were plants to deal with the incumbent Innistrad mechanics.

I'm going to have to agree, but only to a  point.  I think it's worth noting that Ash Zealot was likely designed with Snapcaster Mage in mind, and meant to give red an advantage over the ever powerful blue.  However, out of ten mechanics, none of them play with the graveyard in a way that interacts with Ash Zealot, and that's pretty weird.  I think it's very possible they introduced Ash Zealot in RtR instead of throwing her in M13 (which would actually have made a lot of sense, since then it'd rotate with Snappy) because she'll interact with "Friends" block as well.  

But Wizards won't want to hose a mechanic from "Friends" that harshly so quickly, I think, so I think the interactions will be fairly minimal. 
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
In my opinion it's seems safe to assume that the next block is too soon to introduce yet more graveyard interactions, and while I do agree that they add alot of cool depth to the game, I would probably prefer if wizards tried to do just that in a new, out-of-the-box-thinking way. 
Something like morph, from onslaught, but new... 
I play for fun
I think we can assume no heavy multicolor, no tribal, and no graveyard.

I demand the tribal block that we are now 2 years overdue!

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Well the Innistrad-Block had a rather strong tribal support, even if it was also the block where MaRo announced that there are no plans to make the tribal cardtype a theme ever again.

Well the Innistrad-Block had a rather strong tribal support, even if it was also the block where MaRo announced that there are no plans to make the tribal cardtype a theme ever again.

Innistrad was so NOT a tribal block, less so then even Zendikar and Time Spiral.

Tribal is not Zombies, Vampires, Werewolves, Humans, and Spirits!

For me to be able to accept a block as our tribal slot, it needs Elves, AND Goblins.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Innistrad block was definitely tribal.  When creature types matter often, that's tribal.  Besides, I liked taking a break from elves and goblins in Innistrad block, as well as their not being a huge focus of RTR block.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

Innistrad block was definitely tribal.  When creature types matter often, that's tribal.  Besides, I liked taking a break from elves and goblins in Innistrad block, as well as their not being a huge focus of RTR block.

no it was not.  If it does not have both Elvesd and GOblins, then it is automatically not tribal.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

But more or less every core set nowadays has an minor elves vs goblins vs XX vs XX vs XX tribal subtheme.
I doubt they'll make a standart block around it anytime soon - the whole thing is worn-out and leaves barely enough room for new and exciting developments.

I'd prefer some new and/or other old tribals to recieve some love first.
Examples beeing kor, cats, birds, snakes, berserker, dryads, scarecrows, rebells, fungus, drakes, dwarves, kithkin, pirates, maybe wizards.
Hell even squirrels, goats, oozes and crabs.
I agree on the rando tribes gettin some love, especially scarecrows, kithkin, rebels, and wizards. I do think that innistrad and dark ascension were tribal, and then the theme kinda went away in Avacyn restored. 

Anyways to what the original post was about, I don't think that the next set will have a heavy gy theme, I mean innistrad through avacyn already covered that pretty good.  

Also, we got human mechanics, werewolf mechanics, vampire mechanics, and zombie mechanics, much like how Ravnica and Alara created special mechanics for each pair or arc.

After the great creature type renaming, the Rath block became retroactively tribal because Kor, Soltari/Thalakos/Dauthi, Spikes, and Slivers all had their own mechanics.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
But then Ash Zealot will have nothing to do except serve as a hasty beatstick for RDW.

Zokorad: Wait until Lorwyn II. If "Friends" happens to be Lorwyn II, your narrow definition of tribal will be appeased.

I'm expecting a "Land Type Matters" theme, as in cards that care about whether or not you control a Plains, Island, etc. and/or how many you control. Such a theme would work wonders with the Shocklands, and if the theme occurs in a block we could see a lot of nonbasic lands with basic land types (Think a combination of Shadowmoor's land cycle and Zendikar's spell lands). I'm also expecting Enchantments to be a focus given their emphasis in RTR. Maybe we'll see enchantment creatures in the next block? I'd also like to see Fortifications finally become a thing, and if the block focuses on lands to begin with it will present a prime opportunity to formally introduce them.

But then Ash Zealot will have nothing to do except serve as a hasty beatstick for RDW.

Zokorad: Wait until Lorwyn II. If "Friends" happens to be Lorwyn II, your narrow definition of tribal will be appeased.

I'm expecting a "Land Type Matters" theme, as in cards that care about whether or not you control a Plains, Island, etc. and/or how many you control. Such a theme would work wonders with the Shocklands, and if the theme occurs in a block we could see a lot of nonbasic lands with basic land types (Think a combination of Shadowmoor's land cycle and Zendikar's spell lands). I'm also expecting Enchantments to be a focus given their emphasis in RTR. Maybe we'll see enchantment creatures in the next block? I'd also like to see Fortifications finally become a thing, and if the block focuses on lands to begin with it will present a prime opportunity to formally introduce them.

I like this one. Realmwright isn't really doing anything in standard so far, and we have the shocklands like you said. Muraganda, here we come...!

Also note all the land enchantments. 
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Agreeing with the land matters theme.  There are a few really good land enchantments in RTR and GTC, and lots of subpar ones.  Plus, there's Street Sweeper which was pretty low on the totem pole for draft picks.  That might see some more action if land-enchantments take a front seat.
I agree on the rando tribes gettin some love, especially scarecrows, kithkin, rebels, and wizards. I do think that innistrad and dark ascension were tribal, and then the theme kinda went away in Avacyn restored. 

Anyways to what the original post was about, I don't think that the next set will have a heavy gy theme, I mean innistrad through avacyn already covered that pretty good.  

Avacyn Restored had 13 Angels, 42(!) Humans, 13 Spirits, 10 Zombies, 7 Demons, 7 Vampires, and Cavern of Souls. I'd say that's a fairly tribal set. Haha.
For me to be able to accept a block as our tribal slot, it needs Elves, AND Goblins.

And everyone else is glad to have a break from Elves and Goblins.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

I think an enchantment heavy block is where the safe money is. Maro has said somewhere I think that one would be coming down the road in the future. All the enchantments in Ravnica currently seem like a dead giveaway. I also hope with all the mana fixing that we get a block focusing on enemy wedges since that hasn't been done yet and you would never have a better time to break them out than now. There are also some cards like Civic Saber that get my spidey sense tingling.

I dunno, I think a lot of that land-stuff is going to rear it's head in DGM.  The pack's have a special land slot. There was a land subtype introduced.  And there needs a way to tie together two large sets into a cohesive block.  I think DGM is going to have some land-mechanics to play out the "Oh no, we're in a maze!"-theme.

I think an enchantment heavy block is where the safe money is. Maro has said somewhere I think that one would be coming down the road in the future. All the enchantments in Ravnica currently seem like a dead giveaway. I also hope with all the mana fixing that we get a block focusing on enemy wedges since that hasn't been done yet and you would never have a better time to break them out than now. There are also some cards like Civic Saber that get my spidey sense tingling.

I would siggest a twist that combines what you are saying with a previous post:

An enchantment-heavy + Land matters block, especially if it reprints the Fetchlands (I know.....we are already flooded in shocklands, still, the last remaining super expensive duals are the fetchlands and dual lands that should be reprinted in MM.

Please check out my Blog:

Magic the Gathering Adventures Blog

http://mtgadventures.blogspot.com/

Please check out my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rubiera22/featured

Two other blocks that have had land matters themes are Shards of Alara and Zendikar, Alara for tricolor and Zendikar for ETB and other interactions. Now a return to Zendikar at this time is unlikely, but all the spell lands, refuges, and manlands it had could combine in an interesting way with the land auras of RTR.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Zokorad: Wait until Lorwyn II.

ERH MAH GERD I HOPE WE GO BACK TO LORWYN, I MISSED OUT ON THAT BLOCK AND I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4115936

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Norin (Mono Red Suicide)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Zokorad: Wait until Lorwyn II.

ERH MAH GERD I HOPE WE GO BACK TO LORWYN, I MISSED OUT ON THAT BLOCK AND I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT

yeah....me too, missed out on Lorwyn and would like to see it out as a new block.

Please check out my Blog:

Magic the Gathering Adventures Blog

http://mtgadventures.blogspot.com/

Please check out my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rubiera22/featured

Lorwyn was not that fun for causual players. Everything about it was really powerful compaired to the packs dirrectly before it and thus I avioded it with a burning pasion. However I imagine that it would have been a fun limited format seeing as how 2 cards that are not rares often could combo for game