Battlemind|Warlock put to test

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey.

Here's the latest build i made. I tried to optimize around the Firewind Blade, so i tried to stack as many vulnerabilities as possible to double tap 'em. In addition i abuse 2 more of the rare damage boosts, that apply to everything: Radiant One + Pelor's boon, which get double tapped as well. 

So, after all, Firewind Blade's property adds 15 (elemental pact boon) + 10 (Morninglord) + 9 (Pelor's Boon) + 5 (Radiant One) + 1 + 6 = 46 dmg compared to a normal +6 magic weapon. That's like a permanent +46 damage modifier that applies to everything.

There are variants which go MC Barbarian for Strength of Enduring Pain Power Swap, which works perfectly together with Warlock's Destiny Inversion. It has a big downside tho, since it doesn't apply to BB. This variant also picks Frost Cheese and Reincarnate Champion with Tiefling Soul for the one feat that adds and additional vulnerability. This way you can add a Feyrace as well and pick Sarifal Feywarden, so you would be Feyrace + Tiefling + Genasi in the end. Plus you can add the Revenant +2 to hit feat, since you don't have to worship Amaunator anymore. Dex would be your secondary ability and you could even pick second skin as a pretty strong defensive feat. All in all the original version should be the strongest, tho, cause Morninglord alone means 19 static damage mod that applies to all. Being someone who has up to 9 attacks per round, you know what time it is.

In my build i chose Avenger as MC, which is super strong AND even if you want to miss for BR but hit accidently, you're allowed to reroll as well. If u are allowed to pick BCL per MC, you could go this way. But it doesn't hurt too much to go Avenger MC since Int is our secondary ability anyway, so your AC is OK. Elven Chain Shirt is mandatory, tho.

Battle Harness is mandatory as well, since we will start the fight without our FWB drawn. First hit of BB bare handed, then use the Harness' property. This build doesn't have the luxury of a reliable Earth Shock, that the Blender has, so i had to find other possibilities for missing. One i mentioned above, the others are attacking with my off-hand weapon and Armor of Summer's Glory and Menacing Shadow. The latter two will grant me misses for a whole fight each. If u think that he doesn't have enough options to miss, and if you have an idea, how to fix it, please tell me.

The rest of my power selection is pretty much based on filling gaps the build has, since he already deals godlike damage. If you're missing some good power, that would really fit him well, please tell me.

The feats are not in the most optimized order yet.   

Oh, and i miss a CA Feat, yet. Don't know which to pick, but remember that we get CA after the second hit of BB. If u have any tipps, please tell me.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Atavian, level 30 Revenant, Battlemind/Warlock, Morninglord, Radiant One
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Infernal Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Will
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise Option: Versatile Expertise (Holy Symbol)
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid) Option: Hybrid Power Point Option
Hybrid Talent Option: Prime Shot
Extra Manifestation Option: Stormsoul
Choose your Race in Life: Genasi
Associate: Storm Talon
Spellscarred
Chessenta (Chessenta Benefit)
Theme: Werebear  
FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 10, CON 28, DEX 14, INT 20, WIS 14, CHA 14   STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 8, CON 18, DEX 10, INT 12, WIS 12, CHA 12     AC: 43 Fort: 44 Ref: 39 Will: 42 HP: 186 Surges: 16 Surge Value: 46  

TRAINED SKILLS Arcana +25, Athletics +20, Endurance +33, Religion +25   UNTRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +17, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +17, Dungeoneering +17, Heal +17, History +20, Insight +17, Intimidate +21, Nature +17, Perception +17, Stealth +17, Streetwise +17, Thievery +17  

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Werebear Utility: Bear Shape
Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping
Battlemind Feature: Battlemind's Demand
Battlemind Feature: Blurred Step
Warlock's Curse  Power: Warlock's Curse
Genasi Racial Power: Promise of Storm
Avenger Feature: Oath of Enmity
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Battlemind Utility 2: Concussive Response
Warlock Utility 6: Unspeakable Bond
Battlemind Attack 7: Forceful Reversal
Battlemind Utility 10: Hands of the Titan
Morninglord Attack 11: Pure Glow
Morninglord Utility 12: Rising Sun
Battlemind Attack 13: Brutal Barrage
Warlock Attack 15: Menacing Shadow
Warlock Attack 15: Armor of Summer's Glory
Warlock Utility 16: Diabolic Escape
Warlock Utility 16: Offering of Blood
Morninglord Attack 20: Lance of Dawn
Battlemind Attack 25: Vitality Theft
Radiant One Utility 26: Star Flesh
Battlemind Attack 27: Brilliant Recovery  

FEATS
Level 1: Versatile Expertise
Level 2: Extra Manifestation
Level 4: Improved Defenses
Level 8: Hybrid Talent
Level 11: Disciple of Divine Wrath
Level 12: Shocking Flame
Level 14: Prime Punisher
Level 16: Primed Curse
Level 18: Called Shot
Level 20: Lightning Soul
Level 21: Born of the Elements
Level 21: Superior Initiative
Level 22: Elemental Companion
Level 22: Warding Curse
Level 24: Death's Quickening
Level 26: Ghostly Vitality
Level 28: Headsman's Chop
Level 30: Epic Will  

ITEMS
Elven Chain Shirt (epic tier) Pelor's Sun Blessing (level 3) Accurate symbol of Victory +6 x1 Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness (epic tier) x1 Life Charm +6 x1 Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier) x1 Circlet of Arkhosia (epic tier) x1 Ring of Free Time x1 Ring of Mental Power x1 Claw Gloves x1 Siberys Shard of Radiance (epic tier) Tattoo of Vengeance (epic tier) x1 Prime Shot Handaxe +5 x1 Firewind Blade Longsword +6 x1 Battle Harness Drake Leather Armor +6 x1 Zephyr Boots x1

====== End ======

PS: I really had some trouble copy/pasting this from the CB. Does anyone know why? I didn't have this problems, when i posted some build early on.        

Hey guys look, a BB build that uses morninglord and RO.  Totally new idea.

Edit: Are you sure you can afford all those items?  Also, other than shocking flame, how are you dealing fire damage to proc firewind?
I haven't seen a thread for this kind of build, yet, so i posted it. If there already were 23435 builds like this on this board, i wouldn't have posted it. 

I haven't seen a thread for this kind of build, yet, so i posted it. If there already were 23435 builds like this on this board, i wouldn't have posted it. 

Yes you would have, because you think all of your ideas are so terribly creative despite all of them resulting from answers provided in your SQSA spamming.

A build doesn't need it's own thread to have been posted and be common knowledge. Learning how to use search functions saves everyone time.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Seriously i don't get you people. Fix your egos please...
@Jugg: You forgot: "Oh look, a Revenant that's cheating to gain actions and then intentionally missing for Brilliant Recovery"

@Pink: No, reposting Blender with Elemental Pact and Claw Gloves isn't new and exciting. Also, I'm better than you, of course I have an ego

Edit: Oh, and just to be constructive - You don't have Elemental Pact, not sure why you're adding the boon's effect, you need to spend the feat on Twofold. Extra Manifestation by itself doesn't work, I don't care what people like mellored say, you can't do something "instead of" a N/A effect, just like all those Boon feats that don't work well with Hybriding. Prime Shot Weapons bonus only applies to attacks made with it, so it doesn't add to any attacks made with FWB. Radiant One to enable the Vuln requires CA, which you have absolutely no means to self-generate, including Flanking because that turns off your Prime. Claw Gloves require a minor at the beginning of combat to enter your form in order to be active, so you'll need to account for that in any KPR/Nova calcs you do.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I built this to the best of my knowledge and belief. I'm playing D&D for 4 months now, so i don't have the in-depth knowledge of most of the other users here, yet. I'm posting builds, not to state that i'm super awesome, that may be your incentive, when you do so, but please, don't judge others by your own standards. I'm posting builds cause i want to know, how an experienced optimizer would refine it, or if he would totally reject it and why.
I built this to the best of my knowledge and belief. I'm playing D&D for 4 months now, so i don't have the in-depth knowledge of most of the other users here, yet. I'm posting builds, not to state that i'm super awesome, that may be your incentive, when you do so, but please, don't judge others by your own standards. I'm posting builds cause i want to know, how an experienced optimizer would refine it, or if he would totally reject it and why.

Your questions in SQSA come off as "I"m working on a secret project that I'm not going to share until it's ready" because you ask very specific questions without posting anything about the goal you're trying to achieve. And then when you post builds like this, it comes across as "Tada! Look at the amazing build I've made by improperly combining cheese that's existed for a year, aren't I great?" Which to me and others also comes across as "I'm too good to ask questions properly even though I'm new to the game and don't have a strong background in English." Now I can add to my opinion of you that you don't know how to use the Search Function properly.

Tone of posts don't come across very well on the internet, which is why everyone thinks I'm an egomaniacal jerk.
Well, you recognized my bad english, so i'll try my best to make myself understood: I don't think you're an egomaniacal jerk, because tone of posts don't come across very well on the internet. I think you're an egomaniacal jerk, cause you like judging people you don't know at all so much. All your "criticism" above is totally unfounded, cause you're simply assuming that your opponent does X because of Y, without asking for once. You get personally offensive nearly every time someone posts something you don't like, which seems to be a lot. Whatever went wrong in your life, get over it, mate, i wish you the best.
The only way we have to judge people in a public forum like this is their posts.  What I would suggest is that you read and lurk a bit before jumping in with "new" builds.  See if it's been done before.  When you decide on a schtick, make sure you have the pieces to make it work, while still maintaining an effective character.  Check the class guides for something similar, check the collections of builds that are around.  Build it out to a few different levels and have people look at it for holes, the tier breaks are good (11, 21, 30).  Finally, with your newness, try a "Hey does this work?", or "What do you think of this?" tone, rather than "Look at this!  Amazing!". If you look back a few years ago, you can find posts by zathris, alcestis, erachima, and other long time CO folks where they make newb mistakes as well.  The difference is, they accepted the criticism and used it to improve system mastery, rather than whining that people were being mean to them.
Isn't there a 4e char-op channel where folks hang out and tweak builds before they even get posted here for criticism with a side of character bashing.
Yeah! Isn't there ?

This seems beneficial:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Thanks. I couldn't remember the link.
All your "criticism" above is totally unfounded, cause you're simply assuming that your opponent does X because of Y, without asking for once.

No, it's not. My opinion of you is an opinion, there was only one instance of me making a statement of the sort of person you are, the rest I made sure to qualify my statements by saying that's how you come across as.

With regards to my statment that you think you're creative: "Here's the latest build i made." You didn't credit mellored or even link to his Blender, you didn't credit any of the multiple people who have mentioned elemental pact, sarifal, or morninglord for a BB spammer, you didn't mention the advice and rules help you got (and apparently ignored) in the SQSA, you said it's a "build i made." You're either ignorant of, or chose to ignore common etiquette, or are oblivious to the work of others. Because you mentioned not seeing the build in any searches, and I don't like to assume people are ignorant or just selfish jerks, I went with the latter, you not being aware that all the work had been done for you by others and thinking that you were creating something new. Naivety isn't a horrid thing to be accused of.

If you're just ignorant of etiquette and didn't know you're supposed to credit people whose work your basing your idea off of, or are a selfish jerk who just doesn't want to credit other people, feel free to let me know and I'll revise my previous statement about your self-assumed creativity.
Isn't there a 4e char-op channel where folks hang out and tweak builds before they even get posted here for criticism with a side of character bashing.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, we bash builds there too.
We have an intelligence requirement there though ;)
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
How the hell did we get in then?
Bribes. Clearly. Or my case, dashing good looks.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

Bribes all the way man, liberal application of hookers and blow go a long way toward achieving social acceptance.
All your "criticism" above is totally unfounded, cause you're simply assuming that your opponent does X because of Y, without asking for once.

No, it's not. My opinion of you is an opinion, there was only one instance of me making a statement of the sort of person you are, the rest I made sure to qualify my statements by saying that's how you come across as.

With regards to my statment that you think you're creative: "Here's the latest build i made." You didn't credit mellored or even link to his Blender, you didn't credit any of the multiple people who have mentioned elemental pact, sarifal, or morninglord for a BB spammer, you didn't mention the advice and rules help you got (and apparently ignored) in the SQSA, you said it's a "build i made." You're either ignorant of, or chose to ignore common etiquette, or are oblivious to the work of others. Because you mentioned not seeing the build in any searches, and I don't like to assume people are ignorant or just selfish jerks, I went with the latter, you not being aware that all the work had been done for you by others and thinking that you were creating something new. Naivety isn't a horrid thing to be accused of.

If you're just ignorant of etiquette and didn't know you're supposed to credit people whose work your basing your idea off of, or are a selfish jerk who just doesn't want to credit other people, feel free to let me know and I'll revise my previous statement about your self-assumed creativity.

I didn't credit mellored, because the blender's main trick, the reason why he does so incredibly much damage, isn't used here. No sliding, no zone abuse. The only consensus is the Battlemind class,the Revenant Cheese and the use of BB/BR.

I didn't credit everybody else, who has created this or a similar build before, because i didn't use the search function, which i should have. That's what you're totally right about. To my state of knowledge, at the moment when i created this thread, even if this build seemed to be pretty obvious to me as well, there was no such build, because i only checked the DPR King candidates/Battlemind guide builds/every other sticky or "official" thread and didn't use the search function. Of course i assumed, that many people on this board would have known about this or a similar build, but i didn't by then.

I didn't credit anyone who answered me in the SQSA thread, cause i already thanked them in the said thread. And i had the impression that most of them realized that i appreciated them giving me an answer. Some, or at least one, apparently didn't, though..

"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite channel on the Citadel."

That's why i don't go over there.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, we bash builds there too.

I'm sure there is a healthy amount of bashing over there but most of the "new" builds i've seen crop up in char-op have been fleshed out either in the freenode channel or through PM advice and not through a ton of ask a question posts, that i've seen. Granted i'm mostly a lurker and sometime advice /answer giver. I tend to let the people with a higher system mastery give the proper advice and answers.
What is wrong with you people?  Put away your snarky, holier than thou attitudes and help this dude, or if not, then don't comment.  If you want to be respected as an "expert" on these forums, then teach instead of putting people down for "not knowing as much as you do." It's ridiculous how many threads devolve into this kinda of unhelpful arguing.
Andrakin: those who give respect, get respect.

It is entirely unrealistic to come to a game 5 years after it was first released, about a 18 months since the last serious amount of new content came out, and expect to find something completely new and stunning the community with your amazing find.
What is wrong with you people?  Put away your snarky, holier than thou attitudes and help this dude, or if not, then don't comment.  If you want to be respected as an "expert" on these forums, then teach instead of putting people down for "not knowing as much as you do." It's ridiculous how many threads devolve into this kinda of unhelpful arguing.

AND.... go check the myriad of ask a simple question posts to see the actual help folks did for this build and what ever others pink has posted as breakthroughs. He didn't post this build looking for help it was posted to say "Look what i can do".

It was a total joke!

It was a total joke!

True.  If there was an Int requirement my breather would never be allowed!  Neither would yours!
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

It was a total joke!

It was a total joke!

True.  If there was an Int requirement my breather would never be allowed!  Neither would yours!

Speak for yourself! My Epic one has 14 INT!

It was a total joke!

So what you're saying is that it's not as intelligent as my barbarian? :P
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
All barbarians should have Int close to Str. Or Equal
So that they can rage about strawmen arguments and munchkin fallacies? 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
If you're going to rage, rage intelligently!
Unless you're into lithodentropy, there are no intelligent rages. 

And this is how one Rages intelligently.
youtu.be/bWXazVhlyxQ

And this is how one Rages intelligently.
youtu.be/bWXazVhlyxQ

+1
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I realize I am late to the party here, but... wouldn't it be good to actually have a build for this? I see so much love for barbarians around, but mechanically speaking, a build like this is near the top of the striker pile. It would be nice to have a practically optimized version of it to show (which this is not, but it could be with some tweaking).

For whatever reason, most builds along this line are 1) too old to have stuff like Firewind Blade, or 2) designed for TheoryOp. An updated, practical version would belong in Elysian Fields I'd say (if that's still a thing). For credit, it could even just be attributed to "the community," since I agree that it's been around for a long time.
I realize I am late to the party here, but... wouldn't it be good to actually have a build for this? I see so much love for barbarians around, but mechanically speaking, a build like this is near the top of the striker pile. It would be nice to have a practically optimized version of it to show (which this is not, but it could be with some tweaking).

For whatever reason, most builds along this line are 1) too old to have stuff like Firewind Blade, or 2) designed for TheoryOp. An updated, practical version would belong in Elysian Fields I'd say (if that's still a thing). For credit, it could even just be attributed to "the community," since I agree that it's been around for a long time.

Elysian Fields is for retired/out-dated builds that were the best in their prime. A modern Battlemind|Warlock designed to ping vulns multiple times would certainly not be out-dated...
Not entirely accurate Alcestis, I would add new builds to it, ones that would still be excellent in the future, except no one makes builds anymore for the most part.  For the most part CO has embraced a modular way of thinking, where you can put together packages (frostcheese, morninglord, firewind+multiattack, etc) and try to fit them onto whatever chassis you are using.  I like it, not everything is spelled out, and it requires a bit of critical thinking and personal research to figure out how to put things together.

Edit:  There is a thread for it, but man is it ever old.  Could use a coat of new paint.
There are some builds that should certainly be added then.

Yeah, the modularity thread was an OK concept that got abondoned...