Thrun is the Last Troll? Not anymore!

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
My past couple of decks have been quite gimmicky and all focused around one specific combo. This time its different.

So Mr. Thrun here thinks he's the last troll. He's acting all sad since he's got no troll friends to troll around with. However, there are still some trolls left out there! Good ol' tribal beatdown. Here is the decklist. 

Creatures: 18

Total Spells: 18
[deck]
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Rancor
2 Loxodon Warhammer
2 Armadillo Cloak
4 Harmonize
3 Search of Tomorrow 
[/deck]
Lands: 23
[deck]
4 Temple Garden
4 Sunpetal Grove
12 Forest
3 Plains
[/deck]

I was thinking about running Hunted Troll but it might just add to the amount of fliers he/she has, which is a weakness this deck has. I could also run Day of Judgment but I think it would cost to much mana to play the spell and have mana open to regenerate my trolls.

Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated. 
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
You need some 2-drops. If you don't drop (or lose) your Birds of Paradise you'll have nothing to do on turn 2 except playing a land. Albino Troll might fit. Drop him turn 2, pay his echo turn 3, and you still probably have the mana to put a Rancor on him and let him hit for 5. Farseek/Rampant Growth/etc. might also be good for accelleration.

Being in w/g allows you to play Behemoth Sledge instead of Loxodon Warhammer and maybe Armadillo Cloak. That extra toughness boost will make regeneration less nessessary and lets you use your mana otherwise.

Trolls have no lords per se, but there is always Adaptive Automaton, if you want one.

Cudgel Troll provides an extra power compared to Charging Troll. So, how important is vigilance for you?
Yeah, I'm pretty worried about early turns especially agaisnt like a faster aggro deck. I guess Albino Troll could work. I still really hate that echo cost though... I'll probably use Behemoth Sledge over Loxondon Warhammer. As for Cudgel Troll, I probably use Charging Troll since vigilance is quite important. It really helps against the defensive side of things, which I seem to be lacking. 

So I'll add in Albino Troll and up Search for Tomrrow to 4 and splash a couple Nature's Lores. What should I cut for those cards? Maybe Hedge Troll for Albino Troll. What do you think? 
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
Played against Jnp. Got smashed. Its a really casual deck anyways. Some slight edits. 

Creatures: 16

Total Spells: 21
[deck]
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Rancor
2 Angelic Destiny
3 Spirt Loop
4 Hunter's Insight
4 Search for Tomorrow
[/deck]
Lands: 24
[deck]
4 Temple Garden
4 Sunpetal Grove
13 Forest
3 Plains
[/deck]

Still contemplating a or 2 Day of Judgement to help agaisnt my weakness for aggro creature decks.
I was waiting for you to DoJ that whole game. I'd say add that in at least as a sideboard card.

Some more spot removal like swords to plowshares or path to exile can help too.

Angelic destiny is cool...but seems really out of place for an aggressive deck.

I vote for adaptive automaton as well.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

if you're trying to ramp into threats AND attack, then steward of valeron is a good choice.

Of course, you can always just play Watchwolf, but that goes a little too much against theme.

Automaton is good, I vote yes too.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
There's always Utopia Tree for additional color fixing. But the point is to get your Troll Ascetic or Hedge Troll out turn 2 with the Birds, right? Avacyn's Pilgrim can help as can Arbor Elf (who works great with Temple Garden) or Llanowar Elves. Brushland and/or Horizon Canopy provide additional GW color fixing.

If you're willing to splash black, that opens up Lotleth Troll as a 2-drop. For other GW options, you have Blind Obedience to really slow aggro down, and Wall of Omens will stop most lower cost creatures in their tracks while netting you an extra card. Wall of Tanglecord will stop even most higher-cost fliers. Ethereal Armor together with Rancor provides you with good Auras, particularly useful on Troll Ascetic and Thrun. And of course Fog is always a reliable aggro stall though less so with Skullcrack around.

I wouldn't bother with too many 4-drops besides Thrun and Charging Troll, as you're almost always going to want to play them over Destiny unless you have your Ascetic or Hedge Troll out. I would focus on the 1 to 3 curve instead. However, I second the Day of Justice recommendation, as it will allow your regenerating trolls to survive. Hunted Troll can be another good 4-drop and works well with Scattershot Archer.

You are missing my favorite 4 cmc troll chameleon colossus and if you are really going to play white as well mirror entity is rightly famous as well.

Oh, and Behemoth Sledge is much cheaper to get then the other one since it is so restricted.

aspect of mongoose deserves an honorable mention as well.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
If you don't mind adding in black you could always use Trestle Troll and with black comes alot of removal Ultimate Price/Doom Blade/Abrupt Decay,

If you wanna stick to a G/W deck you can always add things like Sandstorm/Rain of Blades. Generally high aggro decks come at the cost of low toughness so that might help.

Hope this help GL!
From the looks of this you seem to have a mage blade deck with a heavy troll theme... have you thought of using Ethereal Armor in here? it can really pump up your trolls with all the enchantments running about. Plus with multiples out the effects stack up to make a fatty threat. I don't really like Hunter's Insight, yes it gives you some draw, but you HAVE to hit a player... true you have rancors  for trample... but still I don't like it for some reason... You are running ramp and nothing in your deck really has a high cmc... you can drop some lands from 24 down to 23 or possibly 22 if you continue to have more ramp than just the BoP. Speaking of high cmc creatures in here, have you thought about running 1-2 of Mossbridge Troll? with all the enchants around here you can easily pump 1-2 other creatures and then pump him via his own ability, slap a rancor on him and call it game. If his mana cost if too much of an issue (ie most games are over before you'd be able to play him, then nvm). With all the enchantments in here... Auratog? it can swing and if unblocked it can sac/pump up for the kill. Its a bit more fragile than your other creatures, but it's an option... great thing with the atog, you can sac a rancor then play/sac over and over again as long as you have the mana to do so. Pretty fun IMO. Speaking of wrath effects,  have you considered the interaction between regenerate and Worldslayer? Seriously  DoJ should be in here. If you're not going to do it for yourself then at least do it for the kids. The kids these days need to know that regeneration is a thing and cards that say destroy, but don't have "can't be regenerated" in the text can fail, big time... Don't add in here... but if any troll should be used, it should be Lotleth Troll, Trestle's reach is nice, but the whole guy is hindered on the fact the regen costs so much (more than 2 for regen is too much IMO) and defender (he can't win you a game). Alright, I think that's enough ranting... 

Hope this helps, sorry if any of it didn't make sense (it's late here).   

EDIT:  I third the Troll Lord recommendation.

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

Okay. I worked on the deck quite a bit but it eventually ended up being a Troll Aura deck and looked too much like the Green/White aura deck I had. So i've decided to change this deck around and focus it on creatures that can regenerate, board wipes and some equipment for boosts on my creatures. This deck is probably going to be Green/White or maybe even Green/White/Black. Does this sound like a viable idea? Any card suggestions?
Screw that idea, Troll Auras sounds awesome. 

Creatures: 8

Total Spells: 29

Auras: 16
[deck]
4 Flickering Ward
4 Rancor
2 Daybreak Coronet
3 Spirit Loop
3 Ancestral Mask
[/deck]
Other: 13
[deck]
3 Day of Judgment
2 Oblivion Ring
4 Hunter's Insight
4 Wild Growth
1 Search for Tomorrow 
[/deck]
Land: 22
[deck]
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden
5 Plains
1 Serra's Sanctum
8 Forest
[/deck]

c]Kor Spirit dancer[/c] is like a staple in aura decks but that is what I used for my other Aura deck and it gets killed by Day of Judgment.

Little bit low on creatures, seems okayish to me. What do you think?
Then what about adding Trollhide? Also fits the flavor.
Then what about adding Trollhide? Also fits the flavor.

Nayy, I my guys already have regen, and compare that to Ancestral Mask

If you're switching from Trolls as a specific theme, then I can suggest some other regenerating creatures like Drudge Skeletons, River Boa, and Mire Boa. Equipment should ramp well with the creatures, which means the combined casting and equip costs. You'll want Steelshaper's Gift for fetching the Equipment you need.

Good cheap Equipment include Bonesplitter and Trusty Machete for damage and Dead-Iron Sledge for removing creatures blocking or blocked by your regenerator. If the mana curve can afford it, Worldslayer is a hilarious way to sweep the field while keeping your creatures alive thanks to Regenerate. Gorgon Flail and Basilisk Collar provide deathtouch and in the case of the latter lifelink. Paradise Mantle provides color fixing and mana ramp, though unless the deck has creatures that care about Equipment it's probably better to stick with aggro equipment.

If you're going BGW, you'll want to add in Overgrown Tomb and Godless Shrine.

EDIT: So you decided to try Troll Auras? *headdesk because I had been waiting to finish my post only to find out the suggestions weren't necessary*

lol, sorry Manite. That idea sounded sort of obscure and there were better things with lots of ramp. How is the Troll Aura deck? Any suggestions?
I like the new build allot, but I'd drop an insight for another O-ring. Let us know how this does after some playtesting.

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

Some slight edits after playtesting. 

Creatures: 8

Total Spells: 27

Auras: 13
[deck]
4 Rancor
2 Spirit Mantle
3 Daybreak Coronet
2 Angelic Destiny
3 Ancestral Mask
[/deck]
Other: 14
[deck]
4 Day of Judgment
3 Oblivion Ring
3 Hunter's Insight
4 Utopia Sprawl
[/deck]
Land: 24
[deck]
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden
5 Plains
2 Serra's Sanctum
9 Forest
[/deck]

Any card suggestions or further comments? It playtests pretty well right now.
Made some big edits. How does it look now? Trying to finalize this idea.
Looks pretty good. You could consider Ethereal Armor as another Aura, and Birds and Arbor Elf would be good early game creatures to ramp your Trolls and Auras out faster. If you want to splash black, Orzhov Charm can save your enchanted Trolls.

I'd recommend a few more trolls. I'd be looking at running about 12, rather than just 8. Alternatively, I believe green has ways of searching for creatures that could work too.

It's also a slight problem that, if you don't begin with an Utopia Sprawl, you can't actually do anything until turn three. Some decks will be well on their ways to beating you by that time. There are a couple of decent looking 1/2 mana trolls to choose from, so I'd add a set of these. Probably Albino Troll.
For a 2 drop, I'd go Pygmy Troll.

Maybe Beastmaster's Magemark &/or Guardian's Magemark?

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

I would recommend at least adding Hedge Troll. He may not have hexproof but is still a reasonably strong creature.

I know I know. I really want to run more trolls but running one without hexproof is is short of scary if they can just 1 for 5 it, killing the creature and all the enchantments. The magemarks sort of suck but I really want to make room for a playset of Search for Tomorrow as another turn 1 play to set up a little for later turns. Heck, I might even run a Wall of Blossoms as early turn defense. Solemn Simularum is cool since I'm okay with it dying to DoJ but its really expensive and does not work as an early turn blocker. Idk, any suggestions for early turn utility creatures? Most importantly, how to make room?
Okay, Okay. Switched up the Idea here a bit. Not all competely trolls but its seems okay. 

Creatures: 12

Total Spells: 24

Auras: 14
[deck]
4 Rancor
3 Flickering Ward
2 Daybreak Coronet
2 Ancestral Mask
2 Angelic Destiny
[/deck]
Other: 11
[deck]
4 Winds of Rath
3 Oblivion Ring
4 Utopia Sprawl
[/deck]
Land: 24
[deck]
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden
6 Plains
2 Serra's Sanctum
8 Forest
[/deck]
Idea above is crap. I think just 8 trolls shoud be fine. No problem while playtesting.

Creatures: 11

Total Spells: 26

Auras: 14
[deck]
4 Rancor
2 Spirit Loop
3 Spirit Mantle
2 Angelic Destiny
3 Daybreak Coronet
2 Ancestral Mask
[/deck]
Other: 12
[deck]
3 Day of Judgment
3 Oblivion Ring
4 Utopia Sprawl
[/deck]
Land: 23
[deck]
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden
5 Plains
2 Serra's Sanctum
7 Forest
[/deck]

Updated the deck above. Seems to be working quite well. Usually if I don't have a troll in my opening hand I just need to mulligan once to get one. Dosen't seem like to much of a hassle. Any final comments?
argothian enchantress is not a troll but she is shroud and interacts well with enchantments. She is kinda pricey though and old. It is tricky to enchant her without running venser though. (Enchantments entering the battlefield from any means other then the stack do not target so get around hexproof or shroud)

As a side not, some planeswalkers might not be a bad idea, the aforementioned venser included.

As another side not. Never run two of a legendary land in green. Run one and a crop rotation.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Thanks for the Input. Walkers work great with boardwipes since they easily stay alive. 

Creatures/Planeswalkers: 14

Total Spells: 25

Auras: 13
[deck]
4 Rancor
3 Spirit Mantle
3 Daybreak Coronet
3 Ancestral Mask
[/deck]
Other: 10
[deck]
3 Day of Judgment
3 Oblivion Ring
4 Utopia Sprawl
[/deck]
Land: 23
[deck]
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden
7 Plains
1 Serra's Sanctum
7 Forest
[/deck]

Seems to be pretty finalized? Anything more? Great suggestions so far. Ajani is awesome here. A mix between his +1 and -3 abilites really help pump up my troll. 
Two things. One, are you ok with the fact the Enchantress can't be enchanted and don't have regen to survive a board sweep? I know draw is great, but still... I'd consider her to be preplaced with another hexproof creature Silhana Ledgewalker comes to mind. No regen, but a great attacker just waiting to be enchanted. And two, I made a mention about this on another thread, not sure if you saw it or not, but why are you running Utopia Sprawl in a duel color deck? with all your duel lands you'll have access to both and  pretty often... Utopia is only in here for the turn 1 mana excel right? if thats the case, consider replacing it with Wild Growth. You'll get the same effect, but it'll be more reliable than Utopia. With Utopia you'd NEED to have a Forest out for it to work turn 1 (let alone be played). If you were running 3 or more colors, Utopia would be fine and I'd say nothing, but here, like I said, you're only running 2 and you have duel lands...

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

@Kashonismw, I usually do not enchant the Enchantress. I use her for card draw. It dosen't really matter if it does to my sweep since I usually want to be swinging for the win after DoJ. Also, I use to have Wild Growth in this deck until I considered this. I must have a Forest or Temple Garden to play Wild Growth in the first place. Right? Therefore, Utopia Sprawl does not really cause a problem. What I'm basically saying is that Wild Growth costs a green so I must have a Forest to play it. Therefore, that restriction is pretty much the same as Utopia Sprawls restriciton in this deck.

For example, If I got all Plains in my opening hand, I can't play a Wild Growth or Utopia Sprawl. If I have at least one Forest in my hand I can play both Wild Growth and Utopia Sprawl. The only time I could play Wild Growth and not be able to play Utopia Sprawl is when I only have Plains and Sunpetal Grove, which is not too often. However, Utopia Sprawl compensates for that by providing white mana incase I have a lack of Plains or duals and want to cast Daybreak Coronet or something like that. 

Sorry if you understood what I was trying to say in the first sentence, I just trying to make you understand my logic here. 
Ah ok then, and no worries about the overexplaining. I do it too sometimes.

I guess I never thought about Wild Growth compaired to Utopia that way... hrmm... nvm what I said about the Utopia then and good luck with your current build.  It looks fun to play with.

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

I had that sudden relization too after comparing those two cards for a while. Utopia Sprawl just got THAT much better. 
Just a quick suggestion: If you end up running black mana in this deck, you might want to call it "Black Wedge Trolls" or simply "Wedge Trolls".

Why you bump 2 week old thread with useless information?
LOL! Bob, I live for your commentary on here! Haha I always get a chuckle

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

Sign In to post comments