Non-Epic Time Dragon

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I really want to use the Time Dragon from Dragon Magazine #359 however my PCs aren't at Epic level (and this thing starts at 44 HD) I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion for a non-epic progression for this species so I could use them from lower levels into Epic? Adjustments to the special abilities would be helpful as well. Thanks guys!
Time for the obligatory "More info please" post.

1. What about Time Dragons do you like so much? This is an important first step as much of what makes a dragon what it is comes from their high end abilities, those same abilities which contribute heavily to their CR. It might be that just porting some of their abilities onto a "lesser" dragon might be all that's required.

2. What CR are you looking at the end result to be? A CR 1/2 is probably not what you're looking for, even if it is Sub-Epic.

3. Are you sure that a Time Dragon is exactly what you want? Changeing the fluff, skills, feat, and/or magic items on an existing dragon of the target CR, is a much easier task than decreasing the CR of an existing monster.

Dragon racial hit dice / level = works just fine.
d12, +1bab, all good saves, ok-ish early skills.
Technically Drag hd advance a breath weapon.

Isn't the shtick of a Time Dragon, immunity
to every spell that isn't Instanteneous?

If you houserule in, a trailing wave of spell
immunity, that could work just fine.  Various
other monsters with very very very good
immunity are 3.0e Rakshasa + Flesh Golems.

So maybe 2nd level = immune (except Inst.) to level 0s.
3rd level = immune to 1CL 1st levels
4th level = immune to 2CL any levels
5th level = immune to 3CL or 3ML any levels
6th+ level = immune to 4+ (still except inst.)

Works out to about a Ranger with near super Sorc spell immunity.
Good enough.

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

Time for the obligatory "More info please" post.

1. What about Time Dragons do you like so much? This is an important first step as much of what makes a dragon what it is comes from their high end abilities, those same abilities which contribute heavily to their CR. It might be that just porting some of their abilities onto a "lesser" dragon might be all that's required.

2. What CR are you looking at the end result to be? A CR 1/2 is probably not what you're looking for, even if it is Sub-Epic.

3. Are you sure that a Time Dragon is exactly what you want? Changeing the fluff, skills, feat, and/or magic items on an existing dragon of the target CR, is a much easier task than decreasing the CR of an existing monster.

First and foremost guys I am sorry it took me so long to respond. My internet has been spotty and I have needed it for classes more than this. Thank you very much for responding though.

1. The fluff of the Time Dragon really intrigues me, along with the breath weapon options. The innate time-flavored spells are pretty sweet as well. In one campaign I want to use it as a mover and shaker, and in another I am running an Epic game full of dragons where a PC wants to play one. However all the other dragons on Great Wyrms, while this PC would be but a Wyrmling.
2. Honesty I am looking for CR that is around that of the Gold or Red dragon progressions along the line.
3. The idea of the Time Dragon is what I want. I spoke with a fellow DM and he made a few suggestions. I am going to list them off here:

The ending HD of the Time Dragon be 44d12 (which is what the Wyrmling Epic Time Dragon has). It's progression will follow the format of the Gold Dragon, with some ability scores moved around. (I personally don't see something revolving around time being that strong, instead I think Intelligence should be it's highest ability score, followed closely by Wisdom or even Con.) The Time Stop ability remains at every 2d4 rounds and can only start to be used at Very Old instead. The Haste ability is instead reduced to a Spell-Like Ability useable 3/day. The Slow Aura remains the same but the dragon cannot use Haste along with it. The Draconic Surge ability can only be used 1/day and is gained at the same level statedin the magazine. The Time Apothesis ability where it rolls 2d20 and takes the better of the two results is instead reduced to 1/day. The Dragon would follow the same Caster Level progression as the Gold, as well. Finally the breath weapon remains the same except for the Con damage (1 point per age category to a maximum of 12 at Great Wyrm and 6 on a successful save) instead it will be 1 point for every two age categories, with a maximum of 6 on a failled save and 3 on a successful save at Great Wyrm. Any thoughts on this?

Dragon racial hit dice / level = works just fine.
d12, +1bab, all good saves, ok-ish early skills.
Technically Drag hd advance a breath weapon.

Isn't the shtick of a Time Dragon, immunity
to every spell that isn't Instanteneous?

If you houserule in, a trailing wave of spell
immunity, that could work just fine.  Various
other monsters with very very very good
immunity are 3.0e Rakshasa + Flesh Golems.

So maybe 2nd level = immune (except Inst.) to level 0s.
3rd level = immune to 1CL 1st levels
4th level = immune to 2CL any levels
5th level = immune to 3CL or 3ML any levels
6th+ level = immune to 4+ (still except inst.)

Works out to about a Ranger with near super Sorc spell immunity.
Good enough.

My concern is not having it start at 44 HD and end at 99 HD. I don't think it is immune to spells in any way shape or form, unless one counts as Spell Resistance as a partial immunity.