stack, think twice and miracle

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

I'm buggered about this probably because I'm very tired at this time, so I'll leave this q here before going to bed and check answers tomorrow morning.

I know for some of you this is easy basics so here's where I'm mixed up.

Say I cast invisible stalker,

in response my opponent casts think twice and gets Terminus and casts it.

How does the stack resolve?

Think twice, stalker -new stack? or just Think Twice, Terminus, Stalker?

I hate asking questions like this, I feel like a noob everytime.
Thanks in advance to everyone who answers this.
think twice is already gone and either in exile or graveyard, depending where he cast it from

the stack now looks like this

Terminus
Invisible Stalker

then Terminus resolves, putting all creatures on the bottom of the library

then Invisible Stalker resolves
proud member of the 2011 community team
Thanks. I forgot to ask another thing:

Say my opponent draws an instant like Essence Scatter instead of terminus in my previous example. Can he put it on the stack to counter the stalker or does he have to just put it in his hand.
Thanks. I forgot to ask another thing:

Say my opponent draws an instant like Essence Scatter instead of terminus in my previous example. Can he put it on the stack to counter the stalker or does he have to just put it in his hand.

Yes, he can cast it from his hand at the Invisible Stalker creature spell.  The hexproof ability works only for permanents and players.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

he puts it in his hand
but he gets priority after Think Twice resolved to cast the Essence Scatter
He puts it into his hand and then he can choose to cast it targetting the invisible stalker. Remember that after each item resolves both players will get priority before moving on to the next item in the stack. So think twice resolves putting essence scatter into that player's hand and when he gets priority (before invisible stalker resolves) he can choose to cast essence scatter.
Don't be too smart to have fun
see, I got the stack wrong. I thought everyone placed their spells on it and had to wait for it to resolve entirely before doing anything. I need to get back to rulings and read more on it.
the stack never resolves, it is a game zone
the objects on the stack resolve one at a time, with each player getting priority after each resolution

I think yugioh handles the stack so that it resolves all at once, so that could be the source of this misconception
see, I got the stack wrong. I thought everyone placed their spells on it and had to wait for it to resolve entirely before doing anything. I need to get back to rulings and read more on it.

back in the day when it wasn't a stack, it used to be a batch and you'd keep adding spells and fast effects until no one wanted to add any more and they'd all resolve more-or-less simultaneously in the batch (excepting interrupts and mana sources which resolved immediately unless responded to by another interrupt) 

however, since Sixth Edition, the stack was introduced and objects on the stack resolve one at a time with players having the ability to do things in between the resolutions.

in your initial question, he cast Think Twice in response to your Stalker, so Think Twice resolves first while Stalker is still waiting to resolve on the stack, if he draws Terminus and wants to pay the miracle cost, he can, but it won't affect the Stalker because it's not on the field yet. If he chooses not to miracle it, he'll have to wait until his turn to cast it (unless he has a Hypersonic Dragon or the like).

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments