All Dwarven Campaign of Dwarful Dwarfishness ideas?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
So currently another friend is DMing our weekly game, but they're giving me time to get stuff together for a 4e all dwarf campaign. We brought up a lot of options and all voted and an all dwarf campaign won out, which I'm happy with. And at this point it's brainstorming ideas. So any overly dwarf adventures anyone's had fun with (please describe basic plot) would be awesome. I'm hoping to get as many "dwarf" cliche's in this campaign. Moradin's temples, forges, strongholds, mines, subterranean exploration, and so on. Some chances to fight orcs and maybe giants at some point. 

I played in a game once where a majority of the campaign where we were pretty much lost underground and were pretty much running into random adventures down there, not knowing which direction we were heading or what we were getting into.

So, I'm looking to combine something along the lines of subterranean exploration with multiple dwarven holds, probably one thats ruins or haunted, something of dwarven politics mixed in and some Moradin relic I suppose. 

They've all come togethe and deciced to go all dwarven, so I'm trying my best to give them the most dwarfy campaign possible. lol. Just looking around for ideals at the moment.  
Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun! Dark Sun!
This sounds incredibly cool and I must say I have been thinking about running an all dwarf campaign myself for a long while.  I would really go read the Hobbit again if you haven't read it recently.  That is the book that sort of defined the Dwarf in fantasy.

That being said the obvious draw is that the Dwarves have lost their Stronghold.  This gives the Dwarves a good reason to adventure and gives a fantastic plot hook.  Nothing lights a fire under most players like winning something.  A huge Dwarf Hold fits the bill perfectly. 
I had an idea for one awhile back (before 4e).  I called the campaign "In The Name Of The King".  The premise was that all the PCs were an elite team in the Dwarven Royal Army.  The main plot was an overarching goal to reclaim the dwindling Dwarven territories, both underground (from drow, duergar, and aberrations), and aboveground (from goblinoids and giantkin).

4e might work better, since there's at least one class from each class role (Defender, Leader, Controller, Striker) that Dwarves are optimal for.

But...feel free to poach the idea 
A group of dwarven space miners, enroute to the Moradin Corporation's latest claim on a moon rich in valuable minerals, crash lands their spelljamming ship The Horned Helm on an asteroid. To avoid exposure to the sun's radiation, they have taken refuge in the ruins of an illithid science outpost left untouched for thousands of years (a dungeon). It is filled with devious beard-singing laser beams, advanced axe and hammer-themed technology, shadow-infused orc super-soldier experiments, a relentless killer android posing as an elf artificer, intellect devourers in bubbling beakers, and robot umber hulks. When the asteroid rotates enough such that the crash site is dark, the neogi salvage ship Virus enters to begin picking over the wreck of The Horned Helm.

Survive the daylight, and figure out a way off this rock or be food for the ravenous mind flayer ghouls that lurk in the dark of the ruins...
We did a Dark Sun all dwarven campaign not too long ago. It turned out we all had pieces of Moradin's soul in us and by finding the final piece we were able to resurrect him and restore some balance to world.

I was pretty entertaining!
One of the older Forgotten Realms books is about dwarves reclaiming an abandoned dwarven stronghold. I think it's Mithral Hall. In essence the story is similar to the Hobbit or if a group would venture out to reclaim Moria.

These are very traditional dwarven stories I think.

Another might be protecting a caravan of beer (&other supplies) as it travels from some location where it's produced to the dwarven stronghold deep underground. Reward depends on how many kegs of beer make it the whole journey.

5e should strongly stay away from "I don't like it, so you can't have it either."

I once asked the question (in D&D 3.5) "Does a Druid4/Wizard3/ArcaneHierophant1 have Wildshape?". Jesse Decker and Andy Collins: Yes and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Rich Redman and Ed Stark: No and the text is clear and can't be interpreted differently. Skip Williams: Lol, it's worded ambiguously and entirely not how I intended it. (Cust. Serv. Reference# 050815-000323)

I did a two-night encounters-style session last month where the PCs were all dwarves. The setup was an annual gem-trading convention, Gem Con, and a Goblin raid which scattered all their gems en route. The PCs had no recourse but to enter the long-sealed mine of Vlad the Mad, which was packed with deadly traps, undead dwarven miners, and a nasty clain of Gnolls. Even though the session ended with conquering Vlad, they kind of wanted to continue.

Obvious themes of treasure-hording, goblin-smiting, beer-swilling aside, pretty much any basic quest structure would work for dwarves. The plot is where it becomes dwarvish. Write up the history of these folk and it will come alive.