MonoBlack improvements?

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
New here, but I've been playing for a bit.

Here's the deck I have: 

Any suggestions on strategies I could play with it or cards I could add/remove from it? Thinking of taking out Skrillex the Blight Dragon, I don't have much else for an infect deck.
What is your budget? Do you have any Format or Legality restrictions?

This deck has too many singeltons - many of which are pulling the deck in different directions: Nefarox, OverLord Of Grixis works well in an Exalted deck with evasive creatures, UnderCity Informer works well in a Mill deck (or a deck with GY shenanigans), BloodLine Keeper works best in a deck with plenty of Vampires, etc, etc. I encourage you to pick something (be it a card, mechanic, interaction or tribe) and build around that specifically.

"Skrillex" is one of the few Infect creatures which function in a non-Infect deck, since it is so strong - but it does need a little support.

This current collection of cards looks like it would be a little high on the curve too, so you should work on removing those cards with high CMC's (like Dark Imposter ) who aren't either integral to your gameplan, or straight-up game winners.

How to autocard: 

Show

[*c]CardName[/*c] (remove the *'s) to autocard!

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Remove the *'s to autodeck!

What is your budget? Do you have any Format or Legality restrictions?

This deck has too many singeltons - many of which are pulling the deck in different directions: Nefarox, OverLord Of Grixis works well in an Exalted deck with evasive creatures, UnderCity Informer works well in a Mill deck (or a deck with GY shenanigans), BloodLine Keeper works best in a deck with plenty of Vampires, etc, etc. I encourage you to pick something (be it a card, mechanic, interaction or tribe) and build around that specifically.

"Skrillex" is one of the few Infect creatures which function in a non-Infect deck, since it is so strong - but it does need a little support.

This current collection of cards looks like it would be a little high on the curve too, so you should work on removing those cards with high CMC's (like Dark Imposter ) who aren't either integral to your gameplan, or straight-up game winners.

I was thinking of revolving it more around Vampires because I have a couple Feast of Blood and some low cost Vampires like Guul Draz Vampire and Blood Seeker. And, I'd like to keep things Modern.

OK. I'm going to help you build a pretty normal (budgetish) Vampire deck.

24 Lands is a good number - keep them. The playset of Vampire NightHawk is a good place to start - keep them too. Sign In Blood is good too, as is Doom Blade / Go For The Throat. BloodLine Keeper is a solid card. GateKeeper Of Malakir is a fantastic Vampire. I'd run full playsets of each of them - but maybe only 2 of the BloodLine Keeper. Which has you looking like:

24 Swamp

4 GateKeeper Of Malakir
4 Vampire NightHawk
2 BloodLine Keeper

4 Sign In Blood
4 Go For The Throat

I'm a big fan of Vampire Lacerator - as it allows you to get in early damage, and becomes very threatening with a Lord or two on the field. I'd run a playset. Vampire InterLoper is a solid, evasive, early game Vampire - which doesn't require building around (unlike BloodGhast). I'd run it as a playset (let me know if you'd prefer BloodGhast - as it requires a few special elements to work well). Speaking of Lords - is a playset of Vampire Nocturnus out of budget? If so, I'd run 4 Captivating Vampire - if not, run 4 of the Vampire Nocturnus. Now you're looking like:

24 Swamp

4 Vampire Lacerator
4 Vampire Interloper
4 GateKeeper Of Malakir
4 Captivating Vampire
4 Vampire NightHawk
2 BloodLine Keeper

4 Sign In Blood
4 Go For The Throat

You have 1 Sorin Markov and 1 Liliana Of The Veil listed - I'd run them both for funsies. Although, if this is for competitive play I wouldn't run either without more synergy. Those 2 additions leave you with room for one more playset. LashWrithe could make a good finisher, Duress could offer you more control, Pulse Tracker is another solid early game Vampire - whatever, your call. Now you look like:

24 Swamp

4 Vampire Lacerator
4 Vampire Interloper
4 GateKeeper Of Malakir
4 Captivating Vampire
4 Vampire NightHawk
2 BloodLine Keeper

1 Liliana Of The Veil
1 Sorin Markov

4 Sign In Blood
4 Go For The Throat

+ 4 ???

Since this is a Tribal deck, I'm obliged to mention Cavern Of Souls - is it out of budget? If not, run 4!

How to autocard: 

Show

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

I kind of like vampire hexmage and then there is also child of night, kalastria highborn and ruthless cullblade.

I kind of like vampire hexmage and then there is also child of night, kalastria highborn and ruthless cullblade.

Vampire Hexmage is solid, absolutely - but it's at its best when it is killing PlanesWalkers/summoning Avatar tokens. It's a Meta inclusion, I'll grant you.
Child Of Night is really rather meh - it has no Evasion and LifeLink isn't relevant in most Vampire decks.
Kalastria HighBorn is only worth including if it's alongside all the other BloodGhast synergy.
Guul Draz Vampire is a better choice than Ruthless Cullblade, and Vampire Lacerator and Pulse Tracker are better than the two of them.

How to autocard: 

Show

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

@iBurnUlongTime, no offense, but those card suggestions are sort of crap... 

@AzazelWandering, I  made some edits to the example deck that I think would make it work better. 

Creatures: 23

Total Spells: 14
[deck]
4 Duress
2 Distress
4 Feast of Blood
4 Sign in Blood
[/deck]
Lands: 23
[deck]
23 Swamp
[/deck]

The main edits here are cutting the planeswalkers since they were a bit slow. I know that they were just for fun but they were hurting the deck quite a bit and did not provide much. 

Running cheaper vampires and cutting Captivating Vampire so we could activate Lord of Lineage faster.

Having some discard cards like Duress and Distress to stop potential threats.

Finally, I cut  Go for the Throat for Feast of Blood since its easy to cast with some many vampire one drops, targets all creatures, and also gains us some life to ease off the life loss from Sign in Blood and Vampire Lacerator

@ChozenOne54, this deck is also quite cheap at 33.79 bucks when you buy it from CoolStuffInc.com

EDIT: I was rereading some of the earlier posts and saw that you wanted it Modern legal and I got really scared since I don't usually check legality. However, I checked it over and IT IS MODERN LEGAL. XD

Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!

The main edits here are cutting the planeswalkers since they were a bit slow. I know that they were just for fun but they were hurting the deck quite a bit and did not provide much.

Sorin Markov sure, but I disagree with cutting Liliana Of The Veil.

I don't much like Distress here - it contributes to an already crowded 2 CMC spot, and detracts from transforming a BloodLine Keeper. I'd add back in Liliana Of The Veil (who discards too) and round out the playset of BloodLine Keeper.
If you must run Discard, I'd run a 3/3 split with Duress and Inquisition Of Kozilek.

Finally, I cut Go for the Throat for Feast of Blood since its easy to cast with some many vampire one drops, targets all creatures, and also gains us some life to ease off the life loss from Sign in Blood and Vampire Lacerator.

I don't like Feast Of Blood - it's too restrictive. In a Counter Spell/Removal/Wipe heavy environment it will just become a dead draw. But it's personal preference, and somewhat Meta dependent. Don't forget that Vampire NightHawk also helps ease the lifeloss.

How to autocard: 

Show

or

[*deck]

4 x CardName

4 x CardName

[/*deck]

Sorin Markov sure, but I disagree with cutting Liliana Of The Veil.

I don't much like Distress here - it contributes to an already crowded 2 CMC spot, and detracts from transforming a BloodLine Keeper. I'd add back in Liliana Of The Veil (who discards too) and round out the playset of BloodLine Keeper.
If you must run Discard, I'd run a 3/3 split with Duress and Inquisition Of Kozilek.

Finally, I cut Go for the Throat for Feast of Blood since its easy to cast with some many vampire one drops, targets all creatures, and also gains us some life to ease off the life loss from Sign in Blood and Vampire Lacerator.

I don't like Feast Of Blood - it's too restrictive. In a Counter Spell/Removal/Wipe heavy environment it will just become a dead draw. But it's personal preference, and somewhat Meta dependent. Don't forget that Vampire NightHawk also helps ease the lifeloss.

Hmmm... I still don't like Liliana of the Veil in this deck since our card advantange is quite important. With lots of cheap spells, we really do not want to be losing much. I still think its better without it. 

As for Distress being in the 2 spot, you are right. Inqusition of Kozilek would be great but is too much for OP's budget. I still think this sort of discard is necessary since you have said yourself that counterspells and wipes can be devastating. Maybe have Blackmail or Mire's Toll?

All in all, At least have a playset of Duress to stop boardwipes and other threats, and also improve on the creature base.

EDIT: Actually, Distress is not really clunking up the 2 cmc spot. Besides only being 2 copies, the other 2 CMC spells you want to be playing on turn 2 are Feast of Blood/Go for the Throat and maybe Gatekeeper of Malakir (if you don't pay the kicker). Sign in Blood usually is played in later turns when your hand starts to empty.

I would run something like this.

Creatures: 23

Total Spells: 14
[deck]
4 Duress
3 Distress
3 Feast of Blood
4 Sign in Blood
[/deck]
Lands: 23
[deck]
23 Swamp
[/deck]

To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
I was also thinking of playing Witchbane Orb to prevent stuff from other Black decks, and also Red and Blue decks.
Also, I was thinking of Bloodhusk Ritualist instead of a Duress, and a Horrifying Revelation to help with the discarding.
Witchbane Orb would be nice in a sideboard but definetly not in the main deck. As for discard both of those cards are nothing compared to Duress or Distress. For exmple, most of the time a early turn Duress or Distress can be deadly as we can remove any threats he was in his hand. Bloodhusk Ritualist needs to much mana for it to work effectivly. Horrifying Revelation is just not a very good card. 

And also, are here loooking for a decklist you want to puchase or do you want to make your own deck? 
Witchbane Orb would be nice in a sideboard but definetly not in the main deck. As for discard both of those cards are nothing compared to Duress or Distress. For exmple, most of the time a early turn Duress or Distress can be deadly as we can remove any threats he was in his hand. Bloodhusk Ritualist needs to much mana for it to work effectivly. Horrifying Revelation is just not a very good card. 

And also, are here loooking for a decklist you want to puchase or do you want to make your own deck? 

I'd rather make my own deck, using the cards I have preferably, but I'm willing to buy stuff.
If you look at the example decks AzazelWandering and I have posted maybe you can get some sort idea for your deck. Once you get your decklist post it here so we can help. You probably going to have to buy some cards for this to work.
Do you have more copies of the cards you have? stuff Sign in Blood and Vampire Lacerator should be 4 of. Other than that, running big vamps don't work In an aggro deck. Vampires are quite flexible, they can go fast aggro or midrange control. Right now you got cards for both. Decide on which one you want.
Do you have more copies of the cards you have? stuff Sign in Blood and Vampire Lacerator should be 4 of. Other than that, running big vamps don't work In an aggro deck. Vampires are quite flexible, they can go fast aggro or midrange control. Right now you got cards for both. Decide on which one you want.

Midrange Control would be nice. I was thinking of using some low-cost ones that get boosted by abilities like Bloodline Keeper's and Captivating Vampire's, as well as Necropolis Regent's. I don't have many Vampire Lacerators or Guul Draz Vampires, so an aggro deck wouldn't really work with what I have.
Hmmm, midrange control vamps... Ill take a look at the cards you got and try to find some sort of idea. 
Okay, so I'm really liking the card Sangromancer and it would be really fun to build a discard control deck centered around her. If you are willing to splash in red for some burn and some other vampires, Black/Red Burn Discard sounds nice. You seem to really like walkers so you in Black/Red you could run Chandra, the Firebrand, Liliana of the Veil and Liliana Vess. Just imagine copying Blightning or Consuming Vapors with Chandra, the Firebrand  

Other than that I really don't know a good way to go with a vampire discard control deck. 

Okay, so I'm really liking the card Sangromancer and it would be really fun to build a discard control deck centered around her. If you are willing to splash in red for some burn and some other vampires, Black/Red Burn Discard sounds nice. You seem to really like walkers so you in Black/Red you could run Chandra, the Firebrand, Liliana of the Veil and Liliana Vess. Just imagine copying Blightning or Consuming Vapors with Chandra, the Firebrand  

Other than that I really don't know a good way to go with a vampire discard control deck. 

I was thinking of having Vampires that buff other Vampires like Bloodline Keeper and Captivating Vampire, and lots of removal spells to kill off creatures so that Necropolis Regent's effect could buff them even more. Sorin Markov is definitely something I want to keep, though.

Also, thinking about it, I'd rather go for an aggro deck. I don't have many low costing discard cards. 
Oh, okay back to aggro. Well try to work out a decklist with the cards you have to make it look sort of like the example decks AzazelWandering and I have posted. I would cut Captivating Vampire and run a playset of Bloodline Keeper. Other than that, everything else should be cheap vampires and a playset of Duress, Sign in Blood and Feast of Blood or some other removal. See what you can do with your cards. Preferably , you should buy some cards. They are not very expensive. The whole deck should only cost about 40 bucks so you should only have to spend 15-20 dollars filling in the spaces.

Oh, and no Sorin Markov or any other fatties, They will be useless in an aggro build deck. Also, have you considered spalshing in red for some other vampires and espacially Stromkirk CaptainStromkirk Captain and Vampire Nighthawk makes for some pretty deadly defense. 
Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can do. How much does a Duress cost? Also, would Despise be good?
Its about 25 cents. You can use http://tappedout.net/magic-cards/ to search for magic cards and check there prices. Gatherer is still better for just searching though. Here is the example deck I posted. The price can be seen on the bottom right. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/modern-budget-black-vampires/
I miss the old days.
Thanks, dudes.
magiccards.info/ is pretty crappy. Use gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx. The advanced search is SOOOO much better and you can get really exact. I love how you can search for a card without certain keywords. If im looking for prices I use tappedout.net/magic-cards/ since they have the CoolstuffInc.com prices, which is where its best to buy from. Amazon.com is also good and can have cheaper prices but usually have a really low stock. For example, I sometimes see Rancor going for 2 bucks. Of course there is always Ebay where you can rarely get really expensive cards for cheap, but the bidding is pretty strenous. A friend of mine got a playset of Thragtusk for about 28 dollars off ebay, but he was lucky.
Ok, but what about Despise and all my other removal?
You could try a midrangey build; something like

4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Toshiro Umezawa
3 Abyssal Persecutor
4 Korlash, Heir to Blackblade

And a suite of discard/creature kill/life drain with plenty of Instants to make use of Toshi. There's Sorin's Vengeance for Instant-speed damage and lifegain; plus Dark Ritual to accelerate out Liliana of the Dark Realm for some makeshift accel or Hypnotic Specter for hand disruption. I won't lie; Liliana of the Veil would be an all-star here, but she is quite pricey on the secondary market.
You could try a midrangey build; something like

4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
4 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Toshiro Umezawa
3 Abyssal Persecutor
4 Korlash, Heir to Blackblade

And a suite of discard/creature kill/life drain with plenty of Instants to make use of Toshi. There's Sorin's Vengeance for Instant-speed damage and lifegain; plus Dark Ritual to accelerate out Liliana of the Dark Realm for some makeshift accel or Hypnotic Specter for hand disruption. I won't lie; Liliana of the Veil would be an all-star here, but she is quite pricey on the secondary market.

Sorry, he's keeping it vampires only. 

@ChozenOne54, search it up yourself! Use tappedout.net/magic-cards/!
No, I meant if I should keep them.
Oh, okay. Despise is okay. Post your decklist soon.

3 x
4 x
4 x
4 x
4 x
1 x Captivating Vampire
3 x
3 x
2 x
2 x
2 x Despise
1 x Ultimate Price
1 x Urge to Feed
3 x
3 x

I decided to put in an Urge to Feed so that I could kill something and buff my Vampires, and at least have one Captivating Vampire in case someone has a gigantic creature or something. I kept the Ultimate Price in there just in case I need removal without conditions. 
Hmm, looks okay. Urge to Feed seems good, but its not really. In this sort of deck you want to be hitting with your vampires as soon as possible. Tapping them would make the unable to attack. Also, if you play Urge to Feed after you attack there will not be a lot of untapped vamps left to buff.

I still would not like Captivating Vampire but you seem to like it alot. I know how you want to have one ofs just in case of certain situations. However, think about this. Do think you will able to draw that 1 card in that situation? The answer is rarely. I would run more removal still like Go for the Throat and make sure Sign in Blood is 4. You need your card advantge BADLY. So this is what I would do. 

4 Dark Rituals could speed up your game quite a bit. You can make room for it if you want too. Imagine a turn 1 Vampire Nighthawk

Ok, I'll see what I can do.
If your looking for card draw I would try Underworld Connections. Shadow Alley Denizen is a good 1 drop that works well with Bloodline Keeper. Urge to Feed is a decent card but something like Blade of the Bloodchief would give you more bonus in the long run at the same cost to cast/equip without needing to tap your creatures.
Shadow Alley Denizen looks amazing.
Ah so you play Sign in Blood on YOURSELF.  I was trying to figure out why this was such a key card in this deck.

/n00b
rstnme: "Everything looks good when your opponent passes 4 turns in a row."
Ah so you play Sign in Blood on YOURSELF.  I was trying to figure out why this was such a key card in this deck.

/n00b

It's cool. It's also good in a pinch if you need to kill them off at low life.

/n00b

Yes, you must understand that losing life is okay when you can kill off you opponent first. 
Sign In to post comments