Swamp Adventure

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
In an upcoming session, my (level 2) players will explore a swamp while looking for a mysterious oracle. They will be attacked by a band of bullywugs who have a map of the swamp on them. However, it's in primordial and the players cannot read it (nor can anyone in the group use the comprehend language ritual yet). However, they can infer that the various places marked on the map are sites of importance and thus one of them is likely to be the oracle. 

Anyone care to contribute interesting locations that one could encounter in a swamp. I'd prefer ideas that don't contain a full combat encounter so the group can run across several in a session.

Some ideas I have so far:

1) Stirge breeding ground
2) Cave full of ogres (too powerful to be fought, but can be fooled or bribed to escape)
3) bullywug sacrificial altar with a sickly but still living halfling upon it (who is diseased and can infect the group. To rescue or not to rescue?)
4) Hut of daft old man who believes he can see the future--but cannot.
5) Hallucinogenic swamp gas
6) Bullywug village
7) Crocodile hunting grounds
Perhaps the following can help you come up some good ideas:

goblin swamp town
stagnant lake with some sort of tentacle beast
a massive tree in which a number of elves live ( perhaps the Swamp's coruption is causing the tree to die)
Perhaps an orc tracker hunting the deadliest game: man
A small manor in which the players spend the night only to find the inhabitants are cannibals.
A large serpent/ bassilisk that the players see signs of throughout their journey and are forced to fight/flee from before the oracle. 
An aging black dragon that wishes to be put out of it's misery ( Killing him would be good, but if he dies the enchantment on his treasure hoard will cause it to disintegrate. )
Willo-wisps that beckon to the players at night.

Here's a list of complications I use for a skill challenge through a jungle in one of my adventures. I'm sure they can be useful for a swamp, too:

Aberrant Critter
Bullywug Pirates
Disconcerting Tracks
Disease-Spreading Insects
Famous Remains
Feywild Foliage
Grippli Hunters
Overgrown Road
Snare
Spoiled Food
Stalking Predators
Territorial Primates
Torrential Downpour
Traces of Pongo
Vine Swings
Volcanic Rift
Wart Mother Idols 

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Iserith, that's a great list! These are exactly the kind of situation-seeds that I was asking for in this thread. (If you had any insights for me on that topic, they'd be appreciated.)

Do you have similar lists for other biomes?
Iserith, that's a great list! These are exactly the kind of situation-seeds that I was asking for in this thread. (If you had any insights for me on that topic, they'd be appreciated.)

I'll give it a look and post any ideas that come to mind.

Do you have similar lists for other biomes?

Here's one for a skill challenge in some ruins (same adventure as the jungle list above):

Ancient Trap
A Pestilence
Chitine Horde
Cursed Ground
Demanding Idols
Earthquake
Flash Flood
Flycatcher's Promises
Ghosts of the Past
Grippli Raiding Party
Lost the Path
Maze of Hovels
Runic Waymarker
Survivors in Trouble
Sweltering Heat
Tainted Water
Twisting Streets

Here's some from a skill challenge on board a spelljamming ship while it's under attack:

Sudden Shock
Helm Jamming
Open Airlock
Surrender Demand
Frightened Crew
Conduit Rupture
Low Oxygen
Radiation Sickness
Kumeh Maneuver
Illithid Battle Tactics
Whisper of Mutiny
Sudden Anomalies
Blind Spot
Necrotic Field Projector
Gaseous Nebula
Language Barrier
Damaged Systems

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

One of the maps locations is part of a ruined/sunken city. (I used the Xax Xaroth{sp?} map from DL1 in my own campaign)
How big is this place?  What's lurking here?  Why's it on the Bullywug map?  Is there anything of value left here?  Is this place important?  The possibilities are as endless as you'd like to make them.