Darkmyr Reactor

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all, I've been wanting to make a Darksteel Reactor deck for the longest time, but I wasn't sure how to tackle it.  Originally, this started out as a Splinter Twin centered R base, but evolved itself into RW and finally into mono-U.  Right now, it's all theoretical, but it seems very streamlined.  However, I might have defensive problems outside of Drift of Phantasms and I might need some control thrown in as well as some tutoring for Coretapper and Energy Chamber.  Muddle the Mixture seems like a good answer for that, but I'm not sure what to replace.  Also, I'm on a pretty tight budget so I'm debating whether to add Tezzeret the Seeker or not, but let me know what you think.

Creatures
4 Coretapper 
4 Myr Galvanizer 
4 Drift of Phantasms
4 Silver Myr
3 Palladium Myr
2 Gilder Bairn

Non-Creature Permanent
3 Darksteel Reactor
4 Energy Chamber
3 Paradox Haze 
3 Freed from the Real

Instant/Sorcery
4 Fabricate
1 Reshape

Land
4 Urza's Tower
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Mine
9 Island
Inexorable Tide would be really good for this deck. Also Contagion Engine might be good too.
use Mimic Vat with your Coretappers.  You can tap the 'tappers, add a counter, sack him to add two more and imprint on the vat, and then after that each vat token is basically 3 counters on your reactor.  You could also run Voltaic Key or Clock of Omens and get multiple uses from your vats

I'm not sure what good Drift of Phantasms is doing you.  You'd be better off using draw from Thirst for Knowledge and Fabricate to find what you can't dig for.

Paradox Haze has questionable utility here.  I mean, you do get 4 counters per turn with both Energy Chamber and a Reactor out, but it has zero utility otherwise.  Maybe if you had something like Phyrexian Arena or some other useful upkeep effects it would be more worth it.

Freed from the Real seems like a similar situation.  I can see the utility of it on a Galvanizer or a Coretapper, but I still think Clock of Omens or Voltaic Key will be better most of the time.

you could also use 4 Seat of the Synod instead of 4 islands to increase your artifact count for things like Voltaic Key, Clock of Omens, and Thirst for Knowledge 
Drift of Phantasms is both a way of walling against creatures that'd otherwise kill me off before I get Darksteel Reactor to 20 and a way of tutoring out anything with 3CMC, which is essentially everything in the deck.  It can even tutor out Gilder Bairn, which can't be pulled with anything else.  On top of that, it can tutor out Fabricate so that I can get Reactor out.  

I like the idea of Mimic Vat, but Freed from the Real is far superior to Voltaic Key in basically every situation, solely because it's not a tap effect.  I can even use it on my oppnent's creature if I'm in desperate need for an arrest.
tezzeret's gambit would be a good option for card draw. Also contagion clasp is good for removal and proliferate.
Freed from the Real is far superior to Voltaic Key in basically every situation, solely because it's not a tap effect.  I can even use it on my opponent's creature if I'm in desperate need for an arrest.

No it's not... I'll explain why... in terms of curve, no, its not better. Like you said you have allot of 3cmc cards in this deck, which means that Freed is competing with them for what will be played at turn 3. Not to mention you need a creature out to even play Freed, that means Freed usually wont be played on turn 3, but rather turn 4, thus competing with your wincon (reactor). The key can be played earlier and not interfere with any of the other cards you play in terms of deciding what to play. Freed is also an aura, this means as soon as the creature dies it's become useless. True you can put Freed on an opposing creature, but you have to putting mana into it for it to work. If you plan on using a card that way consistently you'd be better off with something like Mystic Restraints or Encrust since you don't ahve to keep pumping mana into it to keep the opposing creature tapped. I understand Freed has options, but once it's out the options are pretty limited. Yes the key is a tap effect (ie can only be used once a turn), but with your mana base, how often are you gonna be able to use Freed more than 1-2 times a turn and still play what's in your hand? Like I said, the key helps your deck do what you need in order to win, it doesn't interfere with anything else in your deck (curve wise) AND the big plus is that it doesn't die when the artifact you've been toying with dies to naturalize or something (ie it can't be 2 for 1'd like an aura). 

That all being said, I second the use of the Vat as well as the key. You might want some counters in here to protect your wincon and such. Also consider Power Conduit to shift counters around to where you see fit. 

Hope this helps and that everything I said makes sense.

EDIT:  I reread Giler Bairn and he seems like a bad proliferate here that's near imposible to activate in your build unless you use Freed on it (which I already said my peace about that). Sure in the right deck Gilder can be great, but not here. I'd run some Contagion Clasp and/or Contagion Engine in his place, a nice thing about them is that they can help control the enemy board via the -1/-1 counters they produce/proliferate as well as be harder to kill since they're not creatures.

How to autocard: [spoiler] [c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze you can also... [deck] 38 Relentless Rats 22 Swamp [/deck] =

Gilder Bairn doubles counters, proliferate adds one.  Basically, every turn he's an on-color Dismantle that's burn resistant and can block weenies and bears.
You already have the Galvanizer/Palladium combo which is nice, but you could add to it.  As someone already mentioned, Clock of Omens would work nicely.  If you also add Myr Turbine, you could use the following infinite combo...

Combo
1 x Clock of Omens
1 x Myr Turbine
2 x Myr Galvanizer
1 x Palladium Myr

Tap Myr Turbine to product 1X Mry Token.  Tap Palladium Myr to produce 2 mana.  Use 1 mana with Myr Galvanizer to untap each other Myr.  Use Clock of Omens to untap Myr Turbine.  Myr Turbine can also tutor Myr that you may need. 

Replace some islands with Seat of the Synod for additional artifacts.

Also, Vedalken Archmage is very nice for card draw.
It's a Modern deck, which is why I'm omitting artifact lands.  I didn't get much luck when I posted the list in the Modern forum, so I put it here.  

I originally had Myr Turbine and other  Myr tribal cards, but it ultimately diluted the purpose of the deck and I removed them to streamline the Reactor wincon.
Gilder Bairn doubles counters, proliferate adds one.  Basically, every turn he's an on-color Dismantle that's burn resistant and can block weenies and bears.

Huh, would you look at that, he works the way I read him the first time... interesting, anycase if you want to use him in the deck then fine, but I recommend that you tap him down with an effect that doesn't require mana to activate, that way you can spend you mana on his ability alone. Paradise mantle does this effectively  nets a mana to be used towards his ability and can be used to give slight mana excel when Gilder isn't around to reap the biggest benefit from it.

How to autocard: [spoiler] [c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze you can also... [deck] 38 Relentless Rats 22 Swamp [/deck] =

Huh, would you look at that, he works the way I read him the first time... interesting, anycase if you want to use him in the deck then fine, but I recommend that you tap him down with an effect that doesn't require mana to activate, that way you can spend you mana on his ability alone. Paradise mantle does this effectively  nets a mana to be used towards his ability and can be used to give slight mana excel when Gilder isn't around to reap the biggest benefit from it.

Add a Training Grounds and you can add all the counters you want.  But not really a good fit for this deck.  

Personally, I would probably stick with an artifact option like Clock of Omens or Unwinding Clock