Bunch of random Q

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wooden Stake: I'm a little confused by the wording. If I equip this to creature A, and A blocks or becomes block by a vampire, which one dies? The vampire or A?

Ability: So I asked this before, the difference between activated and other types of ability. I know the ":" signify activated ability. How about "At the begining of your upkeep" or "Landfall" kind of ability? What are they called?
You destroy the vampire.

Triggered.
Cannot be relied upon^
1. "that creature" is the Vampire

2. "At the beginning of your upkeep" is a triggered ability
Landfall itself is not an ability, but what follows that word is afaik always a triggered ability
triggered abilities start with "At", "When" or "Whenever"
proud member of the 2011 community team
If it wanted to refer to creature A, it would say "destroy equipped creature"
Cannot be relied upon^
1. The Vampire that is blocked or blocked by the creature with the Stake is the one that's destroyed.

2. Triggered abilities use the word 'when', 'whenever,' or 'at'. The first one is an example of a triggered ability.

"Landfall" does not mean anything: it's what we call an ability word, and it's just there to tie a theme together. You can cover up the word "Landfall" and read the rest of the ability to see how it works. Most abilities with landfall are triggered abilities, although some are static ability (like Mysteries of the Deep)

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Alrighty, thanks everyone.

Continue with some Q

I have creature A (nonblack) on the field, someone cast Doom Blade to kill it, can I cast Unsummon to return it to my hand and it won't die ?

Similar question with Crackleburr, can I activate the second ability (assume I can pay the cost) to bring it back to my hand to prevent Doom Blade from killing it?
Alrighty, thanks everyone.

Continue with some Q

I have creature A (nonblack) on the field, someone cast Doom Blade to kill it, can I cast Unsummon to return it to my hand and it won't die ?

Similar question with Crackleburr, can I activate the second ability (assume I can pay the cost) to bring it back to my hand to prevent Doom Blade from killing it?

1. Yes.  The Unsummon resolves before the Doom Blade; the creature returns to your hand, then the Doom Blade is countered for lack of legal target.

2. Yes.  Same reason.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Hah, that was fast.

One more (I just keep thinking up concerns from games I played once per few minutes) 

Player A has 2 life left.
Player B has 2 life left.

It is now B's turn.
A enchanted B's creature with Lust for War so B has to attack. The creature is a 3/3 and A has nothing to block with. Will Lust for War effect kills B before the creature damage goes to A, or it will be a tie?
Hah, that was fast.

One more (I just keep thinking up concerns from games I played once per few minutes) 

Player A has 2 life left.
Player B has 2 life left.

It is now B's turn.
A enchanted B's creature with Lust for War so B has to attack. The creature is a 3/3 and A has nothing to block with. Will Lust for War effect kills B before the creature damage goes to A, or it will be a tie?

The trigger for Lust For War will go on the stack as soon as the creature taps to attack.  It will then resolve (assuming nothing else happens), and its controller dies long before the enchanted creature can deal its combat damage.
Thanks a lot Salla, one last one for today, just to confirm something. I know that cards such as Merciless Eviction can kill creature with hexproof/shroud, because it is not targeting. Does the same thing apply to Overload card like Cyclonic Rift ?
Thanks a lot Salla, one last one for today, just to confirm something. I know that cards such as Merciless Eviction can kill creature with hexproof/shroud, because it is not targeting. Does the same thing apply to Overload card like Cyclonic Rift ?

Yes.  If a card a spell is Overloaded then it does not target.
Wooden Stake: I'm a little confused by the wording. If I equip this to creature A, and A blocks or becomes block by a vampire, which one dies? The vampire or A?

Its a wooden stake. Being used on a Vampire.

A wooden stake. Vampire.

Think about that for a second, and ask yourself how you think it would work. ;)

~ Tim 

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

A wooden stake. Vampire.

~ Tim 

Specifically, 'that creature' refers to the blocking creature, not the equipped creature.

A wooden stake. Vampire.

~ Tim 

Specifically, 'that creature' refers to the blocking creature, not the equipped creature.

Even if you cannot read anything other than the name and the fact that one creature is to be destroyed, you should be able to figure out (no offense to the OP) which creature it is going to be. When was the last time you saw a vampire hunter die from an infected splinter from their wooden stake, while the vampire they staked through the heart just shrugs it off? :P

~ Tim 
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
Eh ... using flavor justifications for trying to figure out how cards work isn't really a good idea.  Even in a situation like this, where it is pretty obvious ... it starts a bad precedent.
Eh ... using flavor justifications for trying to figure out how cards work isn't really a good idea.  Even in a situation like this, where it is pretty obvious ... it starts a bad precedent.

Not with more recent cards, since Wizards have been doing a lot of top down designing and utilising resonant themes. Innistrad especially used well established horror tropes. Even if the text box was completely obscured, you know that a card called "wooden stake" is going to do something bad to vampires. It just wouldnt make sense to have it any other way.

~ Tim 

Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
I know that cards such as Merciless Eviction can kill creature with hexproof/shroud, because it is not targeting.

Just to nit-pick, Merciless Eviction exiles, it does not kill/destroy.  Undying and other effects that care about entring the Graveyard will not trigger.
Yeah you guys are right, I did read the wooden stake and thought the same way too. Just the wording itself confuses me so I wanted to make sure.

Next question. What happen if I Signal the Clan and reveal two, or all three creatures with the same name. Does they all have to go bottom ?
yes, if you don't reveal three different cards all will be shuffled back in
yes, if you don't reveal three different cards all will be shuffled back in

Same goes if you reveal one creature or two creature with different names. You HAVE to reveal three and they must have different names.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Next one,

When Stuffy Doll hit the field, choose a player. What happen if it's a three-way game, and the chosen opponent/player loses? Does damage deals to Stuffy now go null?
yes, its trigger will simply deal no damage anymore
Oh, oh, I have a new one...

If I Forked Bolt and targeting Ink-Treader Nephilim, and I then copy the spell for each creature on the field, do I get to choose how I divide the damage to creature & player? 

I just suddenly realized that Ink-Treader says specifically "target ~ only". Does that mean the copy of Forked Bolt can only target the other creatures?
If I Forked Bolt and targeting Ink-Treader Nephilim, and I then copy the spell for each creature on the field, do I get to choose how I divide the damage to creature & player?

No. Each copy does 2 damage to one thing.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

And yeah one more thing, still working on Ink-Treader Nephilim right now.

When I cast Soul's Grace on him, does that mean I also gain life from the other creatures my opponents control ? 
And yeah one more thing, still working on Ink-Treader Nephilim right now.

When I cast Soul's Grace on him, does that mean I also gain life from the other creatures my opponents control ? 

Yes. Soul Grace can target any creature.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Ink-Treader says specifically "target ~ only". Does that mean the copy of Forked Bolt can only target the other creatures?

Yes, but not for the reasons you think.

First, Nephilim says «Each copy targets a different one of those creatures.»

Second, when one copies a spell, one usually is allowed to change some targets, but never allowed to change the number of targets.

706.10. (...) A copy of a spell or ability copies (...) all decisions made for it, including modes, targets,....

Also:
601.2c The player announces (...) each target the spell requires. (...) If the spell has a variable number of targets, the player announces how many targets he or she will choose before he or she announces those targets...

114.6a If an effect allows a player to “change the target(s)” of a spell or ability, each target can be changed only to another legal target...