Would you be able to do this in Sixth Edition rules? Rasputin Dreamweaver + Flash

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Would this even work, assuming you're playing with Sixth Edition rules?  The question is whether or not you could use Rasputin's ability to remove counters to produce mana before the after effect of Flash occurs.  I'm not entirely sure where to find that in the rules.

1. Cast Flash, putting Rasputin into play from your hand, and do not pay the cost specified on Flash.
2. Before Rasputin goes to the graveyard, use Rasputin's ability as an interrupt, and remove all counters from him to produce  
3. Rasputing goes to the graveyard.

Could you do this?
SiNNiX Teams: NFL: Denver Broncos NBA: Boston Celtics NHL: Boston Bruins MLB: Boston Red Sox College: Texas A&M University
I can tell you that now, at least, that isn't possible because mana abilities can only be activated when you have priority, when you're casting a spell or activating an ability that requires a mana payment, or when a rule/effect requires a mana payment:

605.3a A player may activate an activated mana ability whenever he or she has priority, whenever 
he or she is casting a spell or activating an ability that requires a mana payment, or whenever a 
rule or effect asks for a mana payment, even if it’s in the middle of casting or resolving a spell 
or activating or resolving an ability

Not sure how mana abilities worked back in Sixth Edition (I'll get back to you on that if possible).  But, if they're anything like how they work now, then the above would be your answer.  Since Flash requires a mana payment, and Rasputin Dreamweaver is on the battlefield when it's required, you are able to activate its mana ability at that point.

Edit - Here we go!  This is a link to a WotC letter to the players regarding the rules changes from Classic/Sixth Edition:

www.wizards.com/magic/advanced/6e/6e_let...

You'll notice that Sixth Edition is actually when the rule about mana abilities became what it is today:

Abilities that add mana to your pool don't go on the stack. (These are now calledmana abilities.) You simply get the mana immediately. Spells that produce mana, however, such as Dark Ritual, go on the stack like other spells. Mana abilities can be played only when you have priority or are asked to pay mana. Mana sources no longer exist.

Edit 2: Lmao, reading is tech.  My mistake.  Edited my post so that it's correct. 
There are two threads open on this, but flash asks for mana. Therefore you can activate mana abilities, per 605.3a
Cannot be relied upon^
Sign In to post comments