Faerie control

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
im working on this faerie bolas deck idea i have, having spellstutter sprite ;eaving and entering the battle field the main mechanic of the deck is and spellshifter sprite and blood clock so that i am able to counter opponents spells till bolas is out;

4 x faerie impostor
4 x Oona's gatewarden
4 x spellstutter sprite 
2 x Cloudseeder
2 x Azorius aethermage
1 x mistbind clique

4 x blood clock
2 x gem of becoming
2 x obelisk of grixis

2 x nicol bolas, planeswalker

2 x call to heel
4 x faerie trickery
2 x aether tradewinds
1 x grixis charm
1 x cruel ultimatum
1 x profane command 

4 x crumbling necropolis
4 x faerie enclave

this is what i have so far need ideas for lands dual land etc, this was a quick write up but i really like this deck idea and want to get this right, thoughts : )
just realized scin of oona defeats the point of this deck need another faerie creature/
got rid of the oona and upped number of other cards.
I see a potential problem here. You need to get more faeries out quicker. As you're waiting for enough mana to drop NB, your opponent may very well be able to start casting spells higher in cost than the number of faeries you have.

I'm looking through the cards, and I'm not sure I see why Scion of Oona was a problem.

I'd look at Sower of Temptation, maybe Oona's Gatewarden for some early defense and faerie count, and maybe adding Faerie Conclave to the mana base will help with your count.
the problem was i cant target my own creatures to return it to my hand because they have shroud, i did also see the problem of not enough faeries maybe i could use more faeries like oona's gatewarden for control??? faerie conclave is a must. 
but thinking about it scion isnt much of a problem because once the blood clock is out i dont need to target spellstutter sprite
The Blood Clock doesn't TARGET the creature, so the Clock will return the Spellstutter even with Scion out. Faerie Impostor is another option, as it doesn't specify "return TARGET creature". That gives you another option.

EDIT: I guess I was typing that out as you were posting again, lol. 
the deck didnt have enough cards taking advantage of blood clock so added in more fairies that do;

4 x faerie impostor
4 x spellstutter sprite
4 x scion of oona
2 x vendilion clique
1 x sower of temptation
2 x mistbind clique

4 x blood clock
2 x gem of becoming
2 x obelisk of grixis

4 x peppersmoke
2 x aether tradewinds
1 x grixis charm
2 x profane command 
1 x cruel ultimatum

4 x crumbling necropolis
4 x faerie conclave
2 x mutavault
1 x sol ring
10 x island

right so this is what i have now come up with taking advantage of the blood clock more in the deck, its looking quite good at the moment i could do with another card that will return creature to my hand, anyone there???
The gem and obelisk are really underwhelming. Also the fact that you have a limited color generation in your lands means that a well placed LD spell can really hose you and unable to cast several of you spells, may which are color intensive. 21 lands also isn't going to cut it if you are doing a control shell with many of the cards being the 3-4 cmc range, 23 should be about the right number of lands especially if you run fetchlands, even budget ones like Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds for colorfixing lands. I also don't like the Blood clocks since they take too long to setup and I personally don't think it helps you out too much. Instead of Blood Clock, I'd personally run 4 Phantasmal Image as it can copy all your creatures including the imposter if you want to bounce stuff. Instead of the gem and the obelisk, you can play Signets in their place which allow you to color fix accordingly.
My Trade Thread Control capabilities are in all the colors. The difference is in the way they say no.
Yup, you need a free creature or two to cast.

cloud of faeries is free to cast, matter of fact it is even better then free to cast if you use land that taps for more then one mana such as izzet boilerworks.

As another aside your mana artifacts suck arse. coalition relic is the gold standard in 3 color decks precisely because it gives you the ability to double color almost anything with no land at all.

4 x faerie impostor
4 x spellstutter sprite
4 x cloud of faeries
2 x vendilion clique
1 x sower of temptation
2 x mistbind clique

4 x blood clock
4 x coalition relic

4 x peppersmoke
2 x aether tradewinds
1 x grixis charm
2 x profane command 
1 x cruel ultimatum

4 x faerie conclave
1 x sol ring
6 x island
4 gemstone mine instead of crumbling necropolis with,
4 crosis's catacombs recovers the gemstone mines
4 rakdos carnarium ramp and doubletaps from the cloud of faeries.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
what about adding aether vial into the deck?
Hey! I was going to do Faerie Vials! No offense, I its only my opinion, this dosen't really look like a Grixis control deck. Dosen't seem to have enough control in my opinion...
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
i was not doing grixis, just bolas really liked using the control of spellstrutter sprite to counter opponents spells till have the mana for bolas, summit like this now im thinking;

4 x faerie impostor
4 x spellstutter sprite
4 x cloudseed
2 x scion of oona
2 x mistbind clique

4 x blood clock
4 x aether vial
2 x coalition relic

4 x faerie trickery
4 x brainstorm
2 x ancestral vision

4 x crumbling necropolis
1 x sol ring
5 x island
4 x steam vents
4 x faerie conclave
4 x drowned catacomb 

Right now your stuck. Aether Vial wants to be in a fast deck running about early-mid game while Bolas wants to be in a really slow hyper control deck. I would cut Bolas (he/she was not doing much anways), and focus on Faerie Aether Vial.

Aether Vial decks want about 22-25 creatures ranging form a CMC of 3-4 with most of them having the same CMC, 19-21 lands, and most importantly have about 14-16 noncreature spells that cost 1-2 mana. The goal of Aether Vial decks is to drop creatures for free and then have mana open for counterspells and what not. 

Do you want to stay Grixis Control or go with Vial Faeries?
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
Vial faeries seems the way to go, the aether vial with the blood clock, can mean free counter every turn with spellstuuter sprite, the only problem i have is understanding what spells you take, i have never played control deck so this is why i want to build one.

heres a list with no bolas;

4 x faerie impostor
4 x spellstutter sprite
4 x cloudseeder
3 x scion of oona
2 x vendilion clique
2 x mistbind clique
3 x faerie harbinger

2 x blood clock
4 x aether vial

4 x peppersmoke 
4 x brainstorm
3 x remand
4 x mana leak 

4 x drowned catacomb
4 x watery grave
4 x faerie conclave
7 x island
3 x swamp

does this seem better?
does this seem better?

Yes, much better, but the Harbringer is kinda slow, drop it for something else... maybe a bounce spell or removal spell since there are plenty of things that Peppersmoke can't get rid of.

How to autocard: [spoiler] [c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

Vial faeries seems the way to go, the aether vial with the blood clock, can mean free counter every turn with spellstuuter sprite, the only problem i have is understanding what spells you take, i have never played control deck so this is why i want to build one.

heres a list with no bolas;

4 x faerie impostor
4 x spellstutter sprite
4 x cloudseeder
3 x scion of oona
2 x vendilion clique
2 x mistbind clique
3 x faerie harbinger

2 x blood clock
4 x aether vial

4 x peppersmoke 
4 x brainstorm
3 x remand
4 x mana leak 

4 x drowned catacomb
4 x watery grave
4 x faerie conclave
7 x island
3 x swamp

does this seem better?

Right now your only black card is Peppersmoke not sure id that's worth the splash. Since you are probably playing a lot during your opponents turn you might wanna try one of these. I'd also eplace some of our counters with Familiar's Ruse to enhance your selfbounce theme. If you keep the Harbingers consider Nameless Inversion as a tutorable removal spell. Finally I think 3 Vials should be plenty, run some more removal to justify the black splash or go mono blue with more bounce.
Edit:
Haven't check the whole thread, so I'm not sure if you wanna stay modern legal, if not you might wanna try Equilibrium.
cheers for the cards i have been playtesting and found it works quite well with the spellstutter sprite but found it wasnt able to bounce creatures back to my hand enough, also maybe some more lower CMC faeries for number of faeries, unfortunately im  stayin modern legal otherwise great shout on equilibrium. Laughing
4 x faerie impostor
4 x spellstutter sprite
4 x Oona's gatewarden
4 x scion of oona
2 x vendilion clique
2 x mistbind clique
1 x glen elendra pranksters

2 x blood clock
3 x aether vial

4 x familiar's ruse 
4 x brainstorm
4 x remand
4 x mana leak 

4 x faerie conclave
18 x island

heres the list with some changes, its at 64 cards atm so would like to get it down to 60 im liking the control the deck has with the spellstutter sprite, any more ideas?

Just cut one each of your counters and play with 61 cards. About modern legality: Brainstorm isn't .. all reprints with modern frame are from special sets, not core sets or expansions. and all good 1 mana draw/filter spells seem to be banned in modern (Ponder,Preordain,Ancestral Vision).
Cut the Gatewardens, they don't have flash, they don't have a ETB/LTB ability, they don't do anything but block (you want to attack...it's how your deck wins) and their blocking skills kinda suck with 1 toughness. I understand they have wither, but still... just no... If you feel there should be as many creatures in your deck as you're currently running, then consider the following as replacements for the awful Gatewardens...

Pestermite - its great utility, it can tap down threats before they attack, it can untap a mistbind to block and kill off something and most importantly it can do its effect to permanents. This means you can say go and then during your opponent's upkeep flash it into play (or put it into play via the vial) and tap down an opponent's land. It can act as a timewalk against some decks because of this. Not as powerful as mistbind, but still good. It also can untap one of your own lands so it only costs 2 mana. This is good when you want to still have mana available for a counter or another faerie. 

Sower of Temptation - this is an awesome faerie, it can effectively Mind Control an opponents creature for 4 mana! two creatures for 1? yes please! plus with a scion out, they'll have a hard time trying to get their creature back. ;)

Zephyr Sprite - there is not downside to this 1 drop like there is with cloud sprite, it can chump block things and most importantly attack (unlike Gatewarden...) 

DocGrog is right about the brainstorms and the other good 1 cmc draw spells being banned. You still have access to Sleight of Hand though. (yes it is modern legal, it was reprinted in ninth edition)

I'd cut the pranksters for another Mistbind, it's got a better body, can timewalk opponents, tuck a faerie away to protect it from a board sweep, plus pranksters doesn't have flash. Unless you're a Sower of Temptation or a 1 drop, fae need to have flash to be good IMO. I know you have the vial, but the vial, but still, without it... think about it... Mistbind is better.

Since this is Modern you might want to consider cutting the Mana Leaks for Rune Snags. They can be more effective late game than a Mana Leak can.

EDIT:  Note about playing with fae, since you said you've never played a deck like this before:
Show
 Faeries is an archetype in which you want to play the majority your cards during your opponent's turn. That's why the fae with flash are critical. You want to be able to play around your opponent and only use your turn to attack. If creautre of yours comes into play during an opponent's turn, then it can attack during your next turn, remember that. Pestermite and Mistbind work best when played during an opponent's upkeep, that way they have to react to them then and their and only have their upkeep to use lands before they'e tapped down. Pestermite can also be played effectively during the combat phase before attackers are declared. Remember that a combat phase is done in 5 steps (declare combat, declare attackers, declare blockers, assign damage, end combat). Also you can effectively play with Scion as a response to an opponent's spell or ability, once your creature gains shroud their spell fizzles. So Scion is not just a faerie lord with flash, it's also a counter spell tacked onto a creature, remember that. You have to know the order of phases  and clearly state when you are playing a faerie or any other spell during an opponent's turn. Learning how to effectively play with faeries can be difficult at first, but once you've mastered it it will be hard for an opponent to beat you, let alone play against you without being frustrated. Playing with fae, playing with fae WELL anyway, can make you a better magic player in the long run. It can teach you about timing and phases in a way that no other deck really can. I highly recommend that you stick with faeries as a deck and see where it can take you.

If any one disagrees with anything I've said regarding fae and how to play with them, please feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

cheer's for the advice the zephyr sprite is great just needed more 1 drop's for cloudstutter sprite ability, and totally agree with you on how the faerie's are played that is what attract's me to the deck, i think havin a few more of the higher cmc fae as the aether vial tends to get a bit useless when i have been play testing this deck, it could be an option if i could add or remove counters to be able to cast creature's more effectively with it.
peel from reality is a good recovery mechanism as is crystal shard. I would suggest curfew but that is outside modern, though it is of course better then the other 2.

glen elendra archmage is a good secondary countering strategy since you can reset it with your bounce.

Try this ;)

4 zephyr sprite
4 x spellstutter sprite
4 x scion of oona
2 x vendilion clique
2 x mistbind clique
2 x glen elendra archmage

3 x blood clock
3 x aether vial

4 x familiar's ruse
4 x mana leak
4 peel from reality
2 crystal shard

4 x faerie conclave
18 x island
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I'd still recommend Faerie Impostor over Zephyr Sprite, simply for the ability to put your Spellstutters, Mistbinds, and Vendillions back in your hand.
Actually he should rpobably run both and cut some of the more expensive stuff for room. A single faerie will get the job done. Scion is unneccesary (it is for an aggro faerie deck not a counter faerie deck) aggro faeries works of course just fine but is not nearly as fun.

Scion also tempts you to overcommit and is pricey. Really should be replaced by the impostor.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Bitterblossom? Kinda thought that was the heart of a fae control deck. I also realize the price tag that comes with it...

EDH decks I play:

Prossh: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4101381

Derevi: http://community.wizards.com/forum/commander-edh/threads/4025591

Kaalia (the beats)

Zur (disgusting combo)

Damia (Bug Elf deck)

Numot (Stax)

Norin (Mono Red Suicide)

Ghave (Uber combo)

Muzzio (Oops, Blightsteel)

Cut Scion of Oona and replace them with Faerie Imposter. Also, try to find room for a playset of Mistbind Clique since when it bounces you get to tap all of your oppnents lands and you get to bounce another one too because of champion. Really good. 
Bitterblossom? Kinda thought that was the heart of a fae control deck. I also realize the price tag that comes with it...

This is supposed to be modern legal, Bitterblossom is now banned in modern. Still a great card for fae though, if the price tag weren't so high I'd replace my Oona's Prowlers with them.

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

4 x faerie impostor
4 x spellstutter sprite
4 x zephyr sprite
2 x vendilion clique
2 x mistbind clique
2 x glen elendra archmage

3 x blood clock
3 x aether vial

4 x familiar's ruse 
4 x peel from reality
4 x mana leak 
2 x crystal shard

4 x faerie conclave
18 x island

so here it is now, n i totally agree with bobbert, the faerie imposter is a great way to bounce back the spellstutter while still contributing to it's ability too,  i also feel by taking out scion of oona helps the deck to focus on the bounce theme more which will also help to speed it up, the crystal shard is great as i can use it for either me or my opponent. Bitterblossom is good, but think it is better in a aggro fairy deck, where they are constantly attacking, still a great card tho, i still feel though that this deck needs a big finale i just feel that with the control it is to build up to a big finish???
I would cut Zephyr Sprite for more Mistbind or Geln Elendra. I would aso cut Crystal Shard you can use Cyclonic Rift to bounce your opponents creatures. I don't really know if you need a big bomb for the finish. If you want one, use Stormtide Leviathan since all of your creatures are flyers anyways. I still don't think you need one though. 
...i still feel though that this deck needs a big finale i just feel that with the control it is to build up to a big finish???

You don't really need one if you're controling the board enough... but a nice finisher for fae, hrmm... how about Notorious Throng? Also, the imposter is a rogue, so you'd be able to play the throng for it's prowl cost ocasionally.

EDIT:  I second the Rift, it can be used to early game to stop threats as well as late game with overload to really hurt your opponent. Plus if you bounce things back and they play it again you have a chance to counter something that you wern't able to earlier. 

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=