Loxodon Smiter help

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am new to Magic and I picked up some Loxodon Smiter's for my W/G deck.

The card states:  

Loxodon Smiter can't be countered. If a spell or ability an opponent controls causes you to discard Loxodon Smiter, put it onto the battlefield instead of putting it into your graveyard.

So...if a person were to cast an instant or sorcery attempting to remove Loxodon Smiter...it would come back to the battlefield? Does this mean it can only be removed from the battlefield by combat damage? Having a tough time understanding what "can't be countered" in this context means.

Thanks!   

Can't be countered means that when it is being cast, it can't be stopped by spells like Dissipate or Cancel.  And the discard thing makes it so that spells like Mind Rot put Loxodon Smiter on the battlefield when it's discarded.
Can't be countered means that when it is being cast, it can't be stopped by spells like Dissipate or Cancel.  And the discard thing makes it so that spells like Mind Rot put Loxodon Smiter on the battlefield when it's discarded.

Ahhh. That's where my issue was. So when a creature attacks, I am "casting a spell"?  My understanding (which looks to be incorrect) was that cards like Cancel only stopped Instants/Sorceries...not attackers.

If this is correct (if creatures attacking counts as "casting a spell") then if I have any Extort cards, then creatures attacking activates that ability?

Thanks for the help...really appreciate it.

This game is a ton of fun...but a bit of a learning curve in regards to terminology.        
Casting a spell is when you pay mana and play it from your hand.  Cancel can stop it only when you play it from your hand.  Attacking is a completely separate thing altogether.

As far as the Smiter's second ability, there is a difference between when a card is discarded and when a creature "dies."  A creature dies when it is dealt lethal damage or has been destroyed by a spell or ability; it is then placed in your graveyard.  If a card is discarded, it goes straight from your hand to the graveyard without ever seeing the field.  In this case, the Smiter would be put on to the battlefield instead of hitting your graveyard. 

Hope this helps. 
Casting a spell is when you pay mana and play it from your hand.  Cancel can stop it only when you play it from your hand.  Attacking is a completely separate thing altogether.

As far as the Smiter's second ability, there is a difference between when a card is discarded and when a creature "dies."  A creature dies when it is dealt lethal damage or has been destroyed by a spell or ability; it is then placed in your graveyard.  If a card is discarded, it goes straight from your hand to the graveyard without ever seeing the field.  In this case, the Smiter would be put on to the battlefield instead of hitting your graveyard. 

Hope this helps. 

Perfect. So when I pay mana to enter a creature into the battlefield I am "casting a spell", which would trigger a card that has Extort (and Loxodon is immune to counters when I cast him into the battlefield)

Thanks a ton.    
Sign In to post comments