Leaving the game

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
When an object leaves the game, does that cause abilities to trigger? In a three player game, one of my opponents casts Act of Treason on my Thragtusk and attacks me for lethal damage with it. When I die and Thragtusk leaves the game, will my opponent get a 3/3 token?
Rules Advisor
When an object leaves the game, does that cause abilities to trigger?

It can, yes.
603.6c Leaves-the-battlefield abilities trigger when a permanent moves from the battlefield to another zone, or when a phased-in permanent leaves the game because its owner leaves the game. These are written as, but aren't limited to, "When [this object] leaves the battlefield, . . ." or "Whenever [something] is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, . . . ." An ability that attempts to do something to the card that left the battlefield checks for it only in the first zone that it went to. An ability that triggers when a card is put into a certain zone "from anywhere" is never treated as a leaves-the-battlefield ability, even if an object is put into that zone from the battlefield.

In a three player game, one of my opponents casts Act of Treason on my Thragtusk and attacks me for lethal damage with it. When I die and Thragtusk leaves the game, will my opponent get a 3/3 token?

Yes.
it does not leave the game, it ceases to exist

The thragtusk leaves the game. It doesn't cease to exist.
800.4a When a player leaves the game, all objects (see rule 109) owned by that player leave the game and any effects which give that player control of any objects or players end. Then, if that player controlled any objects on the stack not represented by cards, those objects cease to exist. Then, if there are any objects still controlled by that player, those objects are exiled. This is not a state-based action. It happens as soon as the player leaves the game. If the player who left the game had priority at the time he or she left, priority passes to the next player in turn order who's still in the game.

Thank you.
Rules Advisor
I'm always confused when the game ends what is exiled, what ceases to exist and what leaves the game :D
proud member of the 2011 community team
800.4d
If an object that would be owned by a player who has left the game would be created in any zone, it isn’t created. If a triggered ability that would be controlled by a player who has left the game would be put onto the stack, it isn’t put on the stack.

Tokens are owned and controlled by the player who put them into play, so the Thragtusk token would be owned by the player who controlled Thragtusk when it left the battlefield.

110.5a A token is both owned and controlled by the player under whose control it entered the battlefield.

And, as mentioned, Thragtusk leaves the battlefield when the owner of Thragtusk loses the game, thus creating the token for the controller of Thragtusk, but the Token isn't removed (because it's owner is still in the game).
Sign In to post comments