Would love to see Kamigawa make a comeback

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
I would love to see the Kamigawa block make a return. The flaovr was amazing and with all the great new mechanics these days they could really spruse it up. Imagine ninjitu with soulbond or bushido with exalted, the return of so many amazing tirbes and the possibility of new and interesting plainswalkers, etc.... In fact the novels that complimented this block were the best of any of the MTG novels I've ever read. 

Just my two cents.
I didn't play Magic during Kamigawa, but from what I've heard (and seen) it was mostly excellent flavor, but terrible design, and most players tend to remember the design more. This makes it difficult to get people excited about Kamigawa. 

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

MaRo is pretty against us ever seeing Kamigawa ever again.  That said, he is open to the idea of visiting a new and different Asian-themed plane with better design and more accessible flavor.  What brought Kamigawa down was both its "legendary matters" design and that its flavor was hard for many to grasp.  There was a cultural barrier here in the US that the set failed to overcome by softening its references.  For those of us fascinated by Asian culture, Kamigawa was amazing.  However, we are in a very measurable minority.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Well, he said he was open about the possibility for a future Kamigawa return, he just said it wouldn't happen so soon.

Recall that Planechase still featured Kamigawa cards and even added some new ones, so it's not like they're ignoring it.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
The Planechase cards set in Kamigawa are all generally fantastic and some of my favorites. I'd love to see a return to Kamigawa so they can do it right, it was full of good ideas executed poorly and was a really cool setting. That said, it has a huge stigma attached to it that makes it likely to not happen. Fingers crossed though!
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
Yeah the Flavor of Kamigawa is amazing! I made two decks because the set's books were just that good! I especially love Toshiro Umezawa and Hidetsugu!!! My favorite characters out of magic!!! I Wish they would, and it was hinted in a really old article on the Daily MTG, that it might come out.
Keep in mind Maro is but one man, and his words reflect his own opinion.

I don't think that R&D is above revisiting Kamigawa, otherwise they wouldn't keep referring to it in side products.

Tamiyo was, in part, testing the waters to see how fondly Kamigawa is rememebered.
Ultimately, the only way to go back to Kamigawa (besides thinking of a new plot) is to let R&D know that it's something you desire. Half of R&D is on social media, let them know.    
Keep in mind Maro is but one man, and his words reflect his own opinion.

I don't think that R&D is above revisiting Kamigawa, otherwise they wouldn't keep referring to it in side products.

Tamiyo was, in part, testing the waters to see how fondly Kamigawa is rememebered.
Ultimately, the only way to go back to Kamigawa (besides thinking of a new plot) is to let R&D know that it's something you desire. Half of R&D is on social media, let them know.    

If they look at the forum, they would get a hint. (but they dont )
These forums are more for our benefit than theirs.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.  
I guess the best way to demonstrate our will is to organise an event.

At any rate, I would be happy if they at least wrote a web novel.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think kamigawa block took place before the brother's war, around the time of Bolas's ascension. Therefore, you can't have Jace and the gang meeting 8 1/2 tails. A return to kamigawa set would need to have planeswalker, as all modern sets do, so it would need to be set over 2000 years after the Kami war. Since it's also the plane of stories and Legends, this creates a lot of difficultly.

It also means we'll never get a Boss Uraman card.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think kamigawa block took place before the brother's war, around the time of Bolas's ascension. Therefore, you can't have Jace and the gang meeting 8 1/2 tails. A return to kamigawa set would need to have planeswalker, as all modern sets do, so it would need to be set over 2000 years after the Kami war. Since it's also the plane of stories and Legends, this creates a lot of difficultly.

The Mending is stated to have affected the barrier between the "normal" and spiritual worlds, which lead to Konda doing what he did, while in a post-Time Spiral novel Michiko had already taken over the role of O-kagachi.

It's complicated, to say the least.

Didn't Boss Uraman die in the second book of Kamigawa??? I might be wrong because I haven't read it in a while But I'm pretty sure she Toshiro killed her.

You're wrong.
Kamigawa block took place approximately 200 years before the Phyrexian Invasion. (approximately 600 years from the present)
Aside from that, according to your timeline, they would have to set any further stories TWENTY THOUSAND years after the Kami War. Bolas is 25,000 and ascended at the climax of the Elder Dragon War.
This will help you suss out the problems with any thing you've heard.

wiki.mtgsalvation.com/article/Timeline
3750--Kami war.

Invasion-- 4205

Current--~4600

I had assumed Tetsuo Umezawa had co-existed with the rest of legends shortly after the brothers war. I had forgotten that Bolas was a walker before he decided to rule over the Madaran Empire, a couple of islands on a single plane and was defeated by a mortal. (what? That seems so contrived.) Almost a thousand years is still enough to create trouble with having both the walkers and the old characters.

@Willhman, Like that would stop them.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
Kamigawa's biggest problem was the "What's a theme?" issue. I mean, there was a clear theme. The phrase "legendary enchantment" was first used in Kamigawa, and there were a lot of legendary cards, including a revision of how the "legend rule" works. But...legends aren't common. I can see how common legends might screw up limited, and I can certainly see the flavor issues inherent in common legends. So yeah.

Plus, it was weaker than the block that preceded it. Which...do we really want a new affinity every year?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
3750--Kami war.

Invasion-- 4205

Current--~4600

I had assumed Tetsuo Umezawa had co-existed with the rest of legends shortly after the brothers war. I had forgotten that Bolas was a walker before he decided to rule over the Madaran Empire, a couple of islands on a single plane and was defeated by a mortal. (what? That seems so contrived.) Almost a thousand years is still enough to create trouble with having both the walkers and the old characters.

Sorry, I was actually off since I was thinking of when Tetsuo overthrew Bolas rather than the Kami War.

Even then... why would you want the old characters? Overall, they weren't well received. But from what I understand of Kitsune, they actually DO have an enormous lifespan.
The point of Kamigawa is Legends and Spirits, Returning without those themes is like returning to a guildless Ravnica. I liked a lot of the characters and would want an update. I don't know how well the characters themselves were recieved overall.
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
The game could do another Masques block. Three different planes in the same block. Each one can have their own story or tie all three to a few Walkers moving inbetween them.
The game could do another Masques block. Three different planes in the same block. Each one can have their own story or tie all three to a few Walkers moving inbetween them.

Nope, too difficult for little Timmy to pay attention to. How dare you assume that the players are smart enough to comprehend multiple stories going on at once.

"The fuel on which science runs is ignorance. Science is like a hungry furnace that must be fed logs from the forests of ignorance that surround us. In the process, the clearing we call knowledge expands, but the more it expands, the longer its perimeter and the more ignorance comes into view." -Matt Ridley, Genome

I'm definitely in support of returning to Kamigawa, Champions was when I started playing Magic.

Considering that so many years have passed since the Kami War (A handy 850), would be enough for the plane to undergo plenty of changes (A fantastic excuse to get rid of the linear mechanics of the first block). With an handy reason to revamp the entire plane, I don't see why the first block being rather weak in gameplay is an excuse not to return to the plane. (I mean, Ravnica did pull off an entire ocean with merfolk after all.)

Any non-spirit legend would probably be dead by Neo-Kamigawa (I estimate the Kitsune to live about... a few hundred years, 850 would be pushing it anyway), but the block is full of Legendary Spirits that just won't die. Besides, if you're really a Legend, you probably ascend to spirithood anyway (based on the Maro-Cycle, and O-Kagachi did screw Takeno anyway.) 
(I mean, Ravnica did pull off an entire ocean with merfolk after all.)

That's debatable.