Eldrin Elf Story base

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm running a very PC-centered storyline for my players. Wherein they take the center stage via their backstory, and the story revolves around  the way they deal with their past and how it influences thier present. I let them take any race or class (within reason), even if they were from different editions of D&D (Omitting things that don't work racially with my mainly 3.5e sources). 

One of my players chose Eldrin (sp?). Now, I know that Eldrin are a race of elves from the Feywild; I know that they are reguarded as just under celestial in the eyes of elves. I know they hate drow.  However, I need  some ideas.  I want to make this character as personal to my player as possible, i want him to believe he is this Eldrin and I want him drawn far into his storyline. 

For my other PC's i accomplish this by giving them the opportunity to fall in love.  I have a bounty hunter who, slowly, is falling in love with a  rogue with a bounty on his head.  I have a ranger who is being persued by an obsessive prince, and she must make the decision to yeild to his advances or flee.  My sorcerer is falling in love with a good-aligned Drow.   

I have other ways, too, with my other PC's. They have personal rivals with NPC's who are seeking to defeat them. Long-lost parents who seek their lost child, and a run away princess who finds  her kidnapped younger brother who has grown up feral; neither knowing they are related, but they know Out Of Character (oooh the tension!)

I just dont know how  to meld my NPC's around my Eldrin PC in a way that would be satsifying. 

For example, He walks into an elven town. Do the elves bow?Do they nod? Do they treat him like any other elf? Do they treat him as a noble? I allowed him still the ability to Feystep (treating it like a wizards teleport), and the attachment from the feywild after, but other than that he has the racials of the 3.5e elf. Every time he steps into the Feywild, there is a figure there, getting closer and closer to him. Eventually the figure will get to him, however, right now i dont have anything interesting happening to him... and im drawing a blank.

TL;DR

I need ideas that would make the game more satisfying for  a selfish Eldrin Elf Duskblade who has come from the Feywild. I need the ideas to be small (like the examples i ahve above) that would satisfy the player from session to session. 

Best bet, ask the player what he thinks it means to be an Eladrin. Otherwise you are just flailing in the dark.

Things like "know they hate drow" can backfire, because it kinda forces the player into that role. I think its fine to say "Eladrin as a race seem to hate drow. Does your Eladrin feel the same?"
Best bet, ask the player what he thinks it means to be an Eladrin. Otherwise you are just flailing in the dark.

Things like "know they hate drow" can backfire, because it kinda forces the player into that role. I think its fine to say "Eladrin as a race seem to hate drow. Does your Eladrin feel the same?"

This.

Not all characters conform to stereotypes.  Make no assumptions; ask him what his character is like.
I apologize, i'll be a little more clear.

I know nothing, really, about Eldarin. The info about hating drow, the feywild, ect, are things he told ME about his character. He even plays his racism well, as i have several drow in the campain.  
I apologize, i'll be a little more clear.

I know nothing, really, about Eldarin. The info about hating drow, the feywild, ect, are things he told ME about his character. He even plays his racism well, as i have several drow in the campain.  

Yeah, that's cool then, you are already doing what I suggested

But I still think having him develop some more cultural things would be good. That way he can buy in to them early and they won't be jarring or feel unnatural.

I had a situation when I was a player where my character was interacting with some high elves (which is basically what Eladrin are) and I was being very clipped with them, accusing them of being arrogant and looking down at other races, because that is what I as the player thought these guys did. Everyone else at the table, apparently more familiar with the setting, just couldn't understand why I was being such an ass to these very helpful and caring elves.

+ 1 to all the previous posters they have given you great tips.

Also a note about entering an elf town.

Not all elves would act the same, maybe one town of elves don’t like the Eldarin because they think they are stuck up.

Another town might worship them as paragons of their race.

Yet another might not care one way or another and treat the Eldarin as equals.

Or each town might be mixed of elves from all groups, don’t limit yourself to “X npc is an Elf so Thus must like Eldarin Pc Y”

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

While the player can take it whatever direction they want, the default characterization is that they're essentially the "Doomed Warrior Race" elves you find in the Silmarillion. They're the last bastion of the empire and the only true elves, those demagicized forest-dwellers who call themselves "Elves" are cowards whose ancestors retreated in the face of petty danger and the Drow are outright traitors.

This.  Think of the Eladrin as the Noldor from the Silmarillion.  Or perhaps as "high elves" as opposed to "wood elves".  If you're familiar with Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance, the eladrin would be gold/moon elves and Silvanesti respectively.

If none of those strike a chord with you, think of them as "aryans" among elves.  They think of themselves as the master race so to speak, and even the other pointy ears are their inferiors.  Of course, the lesser pointy ears are still better then a lowly human.
Sign In to post comments