Not sure if this is related to D&D Next but...

Any ideas on what the meaning is behind the animated beholders that have invaded the D&D website?

I woke up today hopeful that we might have a new packet. Instead, I am left with the above curious question.
I missed it, I bookmark the forum and never see the site.  I'll go look.

"The turning of the tide always begins with one soldier's decision to head back into the fray"

It was certainly surprise. I thought the area might be linked, but no. Definitley wondering about it though, so I guess the idea is working.
You Learn Something New Every Day!
I missed it, I bookmark the forum and never see the site.  I'll go look.

Same here, thanks for the heads up going to check it out,
Maybe WOTC's looking for beauty.
Yeah, it is kind of weird.

GAH! There they are now!

It might be hinting at something to be revealed soon. Or maybe it's a one-month-early April Fool's Day trick. Maybe we should ask the D&D Next Q&A/Rule of Three column? 

GENTLEMEN!

BEHOLDERS!
Looks like someone incorrectly programmed an April Fool's joke.

Which reminds me that I have to call my supplier for whipped cream and clowns.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

GENTLEMEN!

BEHOLDERS!

Win!
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft
Possibly WOTC has been invaded by our new beholder overlords. They will then develope a new game where the players run beholder characters and try to enslave worlds.
Possibly WOTC has been invaded by our new beholder overlords. They will then develope a new game where the players run beholder characters and try to enslave worlds.

...I'd play that game.
Now I'm hoping that's the premise of their next board game.  Beholder Risk... in the Underdark.

He's conquering Llurth Dreier!  Can nothing stop him?! 
I hadn't checked the site yet today and had missed this, but I'd almost guess it's building up some suspense for some type of announcement.

PELOR CURSE IT! THEY'RE BACK!!!

*Grabs Vorpal Sword*

How ya like me now? Gonna cut you in half, flying little heads!
Yeah I think someone screwed up and put in a 3 instead of a 4 for the month on a script.  This was likely to be something on april fools day...It happened at about 12:00AM EST (when they release the new articles for a day) so this would make sense.
So...if an April Fool's gag is executed incorrectly...is it a reverse April Fool's on the creator of the gag?
Sort of an April Fool's Fool.
Dang, missed it entirely.

So...if an April Fool's gag is executed incorrectly...is it a reverse April Fool's on the creator of the gag?
Sort of an April Fool's Fool.

March Fool's Hour?

I welcome our beholder overlords.
The Dark Lords of Ravenloft were not pleased by the invasion and have taken care of the problem. We now return you to your regularly scheduled creepy adventure, already in progress....
Well, that was odd. We may never know what happened this day...
and now it seems we have the report for 03.04.2013 on 03.02.2013? Hmm..I wonder what's up? Who is not checking the right calendar? LOL
Who says it's not the right calendar? My calendar says it is currently April Fifth, 03/05/2013. It also says that next year is 19XX, so expect to see a lot of robots and villainous scientists.