Paladin build help?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, I am a new D&D player, with a new team, and I have chosen to be a paladin. Before I start, I want to specify, we do not know how to use the "random method" (roll of a die) to assign the base stats, so we used builds already given to us. We are playing Essentials, and I have taken my information out of Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom.

Class: Paladin (Cavalier)
Race: Dragonborn
Alignment: Lawful Good
Str 16
Con 14+2(race)
Dex 10
Int 11
Wis 11
Cha 14+2(racial)

Skill: Endurance, Diplomacy, Heal, Insight

Feat: Improved Defenses

Powers (if I understood correctly, those are all level 1 abilities, so they are usable from the start?): Defender Aura; Holy Smite; Righteous Radiance; Righteous Shield; Valiant Strike; Virtue At-will Power     PATH OF SACRIFICE: Spirit of Sacrifice and Virtue At-will Power (Strike of Hope)

Initiative +0
Speed 6-1

DEFENSES: 
AC +7
Fortitude +6+1 (Improved defenses)
Reflex +3+1 (I.Def)
Will +5+1 )I.Def)

Hit Points: 31
Bloodied: 15

Healing Surge Value: 7
Healing Surge Per Day: 26

EQUIPMENT
Scale Armor
Longsword/Battleaxe
Heavy Shield

Please tell me what you think, is this good?
Read the Paladin Handbook by Litigation, you can find it in the stickied thread @ the top of the forum.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Thank you ^^
No problem; and some simple advice, Cavalier is probably not the route you wanna go if playing a paladin. If the mount thing is your big seller, buy a Warhorse or something, and take Mounted Combat if you want it to be able to attack.
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Unfortunately, we are only "allowed" to play with Heroe's of the Forgotten Kingdom and Heroes of the Fallen Lands
Unfortunately, we are only "allowed" to play with Heroe's of the Forgotten Kingdom and Heroes of the Fallen Lands

Don't use a Cavalier then? Or is that what you're stuck with?
Funny Forum Quotes
58115148 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:

Don't use a Cavalier then? Or is that what you're stuck with?

Well, we should have a defender (I think) and the Paladin is the only one, and the only "subclass" they give is cavalier...
Knight is also a defender.

Really? Perfect! One question though, should I still use a dragonborn?

According to the Knight handbook found here

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Dragonborn is a skyblue rated race, so should be an excellent choice

According to the Knight handbook found here

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Dragonborn is a skyblue rated race, so should be an excellent choice

A thousand thanks friend!
Personally I'm a fan of playing as a Human Knight.  Especially at low levels were you can get spear shenanigans online very early (to slide people around and out of range if you OA them).

Dragonborn is a good choice though.  I would highly recommend taking Dragonfear over Dragonbreath
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
No problem; and some simple advice, Cavalier is probably not the route you wanna go if playing a paladin. If the mount thing is your big seller, buy a Warhorse or something, and take Mounted Combat if you want it to be able to attack.

Wait, so there are other sub classes of paladin? And cavalier is for mounting then? (I'm sorry if these questions are obnoxious)

Wait, so there are other sub classes of paladin? And cavalier is for mounting then? (I'm sorry if these questions are obnoxious)

There are two "subclasses" of paladin and they are the Cavalier and the Blackguard.  The Cavalier is also "sub"par and, in general, pretty boring.  The Blackguard is a striker version of the class which can be ok and makes ok hybrids.

When people talk about paladins a lot of time it can seem like they are talking about subclasses though, since a lot of people refer to the builds of paladins like they are their own classes.  Check out the Paladin handbook for more information, but in general here are the paladin terms that you might trip up on:

Stradin - Strength based Paladin
Chaladin - Charisma based Paladin
Baladin - Evenly split between Charisma and Strength Paladin.

Some builds also refer to them by just their paragon path.
Hospitalier - These paladins focus a lot in healing / debuffing (for a paladin)
Champion of Order - Often hybridized with fighter and built around making it devastating to violate their marks.
Sainted General - Often hybridized with warlord and built around the enabling parts of being a leader.
Son of Mercy - A defender that focuses on being very sticky and hard to get away from (slows/immobilizes etc)

Edit: I forgot about Blackguard.
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here

Dragonborn is a good choice though.  I would highly recommend taking Dragonfear over Dragonbreath

IIRC, Dragonfear is from a either a dragon mag article or the race book. If allowed then definitly take as another penalty stack. you don't want to mark with it as a knight since it overides you aura thus no OA's.

There are two "subclasses" of paladin and they are the Cavalier and the Blackguard.  The Cavalier is also "sub"par and, in general, pretty boring.  The Blackguard is a striker version of the class which can be ok and makes ok hybrids.

When people talk about paladins a lot of time it can seem like they are talking about subclasses though, since a lot of people refer to the builds of paladins like they are their own classes.  Check out the Paladin handbook for more information, but in general here are the paladin terms that you might trip up on:

Stradin - Strength based Paladin
Chaladin - Charisma based Paladin
Baladin - Evenly split between Charisma and Strength Paladin.

Some builds also refer to them by just their paragon path.
Hospitalier - These paladins focus a lot in healing / debuffing (for a paladin)
Champion of Order - Often hybridized with fighter and built around making it devastating to violate their marks.
Sainted General - Often hybridized with warlord and built around the enabling parts of being a leader.
Son of Mercy - A defender that focuses on being very sticky and hard to get away from (slows/immobilizes etc)

Edit: I forgot about Blackguard.

I would definitively be a Son Of Mercy, that is exactly why I wanted to build a paladin: to take the damage instead of my allies and make the ennemies stick with me. Then, should I actually take paladin and not knight? Also, in the Player's Handbook Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, I thought it said blackguard were the "evil" paladins?
Blackguard has more evil fluff (or flavor, if you prefer) than the Cavalier or core Paladin, but nothing says you have to be evil to be a Blackguard (or good to be a non-Blackguard Paladin).
Alright. Now that I got that out of the way, since my tem is not heavy in optimization, we need a defender, and I want to play a Son Of Mercy, how do yo usuggest I can make my build better? Are my stats, skills, feat, powers, armor alright?
If you are only using Essentials material then you are SoL when it comes to Son of Mercy. That is from a Dragon Mag article(#370). If using just essentials play a Dragonborn Knight w/Heavy Blade or Hammer and shield. Cavalier is not going to be that great a defender but in a low op party may be fine. Blackguard is not a defender he is a striker.
/Death_Before_Dishonor:_A_Knights_Guide
Look to the central casting build in builds section of the guide which uses only essentials material as a base for your build. Just change race to Dragonborn and adjust stats as needed.
Alright. Now that I got that out of the way, since my tem is not heavy in optimization, we need a defender, and I want to play a Son Of Mercy, how do yo usuggest I can make my build better? Are my stats, skills, feat, powers, armor alright?

Basically 90% of the problem is that you don't get to play most of the game since you are stuck playing essentials.  I'm sorry for you, hopefully some day your DM can put on his big-boy boots and run a real game of DnD.

Now, if he lets you play real characters and not essentials ones (which are as close to premade as you can get) the first step would be to tell you  "ok, time to see what a real paladin is like" and rebuild your character as a paladin.  From how you are talking, likely a Strength based paladin and set you up for going Son of Mercy at level 11.

Edit: I just read the OP again and we all just assume you aren't allowed to play real characters and that is why you picked an essentials class.  Is that how things really are, or are you allowed to play what you want and this was just something from the book that you had on hand? 
Show
@Matyr We only have Essentials, so that is all we get to use
@Matyr We only have Essentials, so that is all we get to use

Then you are SoL.

Granted I don't have any books at all in my possession.  I use my DDI account for basically everything.  With it (its like $10 a month and your whole group can pitch in.  $2 a month if everyone pays for part), you can play any class you want because the Cbuilder, while it has its flaws, opens up the whole game to you.  You also only have to worry about math if the program futzes up and you have a search engine which gives you access to everything in the game.  Want to know what Son of Mercy does?  Type it into the compendium and it gives you all the rules for it and where it is from.

I know it might be getting a bit off track, but if your group can't afford $2 a month to upgrade from essentials to real characters I feel even more sorry for you than if you are playing a Cavalier. 
Show