Fighter Driving Attack: Prone without the push?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So this power states you can push the target then shift and make a secondary attack. I have 2 questions about this power.

1. Can you choose not to push the target at all, keep it in the same square, and still deliver a second attack?

2. On the second attack, can you choose to not push it and still knock it prone? (the power says push it 1 and then knock it prone)
yes to both.  You're never forced to push, pull or slide a creature unless it specifically says you *must*.  You can choose to push 0 and deliver the second attack then choose to push 0 again and knock the target prone.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Regarding forced movement -

"When a distance is specified, it is a maximum; the creature or effect producing the forced movement can move its target up to that number of squares (or none at all)."

So therefore...

1. Yup

2. Yup

Also, if you didn't push with the primary attack you most likely don't get to shift 1 since you need to enter a square that the creature vacated. How this interacts with things like Mark of Storm, I frankly have no idea.
yes to both.  You're never forced to push, pull or slide a creature unless it specifically says you *must*.  You can choose to push 0 and deliver the second attack then choose to push 0 again and knock the target prone.

Slight clarification.  The power might not say "must", but if it specifies a particular destination square, such as "pull target adjacent to you" or "slide adjacent to enemy", then you must end in a valid destination square, unless that movement is somehow interrupted by something like sliding into a 20 foot deep pit trap which successfully hits the creature (making it fall into the pit), thereby cancelling any remaining forced movement.