Cards that you've seen way too many times

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
There are some cards that seem to get designed over and over and over. I'll start with the easy one:

Slow Response
Sorcery
Counter target spell.
get card instant
  Get any card from your deck
   and put it in your hand.
            (Shuffle)
Viashino Dragon creature Viashino Dragon
flying, haste
this gets +1/0 to end of turn.
When Viashino Dragon resolves;
   return a land you control to owner's hand.
If Viashino Dragon attacks;
  return it to owner's hand
  at the end of turn.
~"what was that?"-Queen Cobra
4/4
Yeah, I don't understand the meaning of words either. Uniting cheers yeti.
Green Divination 2G
Sorcery
draw cards from the top of your library
until you draw two cards from the top of your library
then green divination resolves unless it was
countered or otherwise tampered with
~"what was that?"-Queen Cobra
Anything flying hate. I don't like anything that warps the environment just to justify its existence. I don't like anything that depends on my opponent playing a nonexistent deck archetype. And with fight it's kinda obsoleted.

Worse yet, they'll take their new flying hate mechanic that I've seen 9001 times before and declare it to be the "green mechanic" in their set, as if it's somehow a win condition.

Vanilla matters. I'm sorry but "Creatures with no abilities gain first strike." is self-negating.

Basically anything that s with the rules.

I also don't like things like +2/+2 counters. Like, why?
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Anything flying hate. I don't like anything that warps the environment just to justify its existence. I don't like anything that depends on my opponent playing a nonexistent deck archetype. And with fight it's kinda obsoleted.

Worse yet, they'll take their new flying hate mechanic that I've seen 9001 times before and declare it to be the "green mechanic" in their set, as if it's somehow a win condition.

Vanilla matters. I'm sorry but "Creatures with no abilities gain first strike." is self-negating.

This is getting old

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

Just ignore it.

I'm rather sick of seeing people try to force off-color Akromas and Morphlings.

You have a thread for this, go back to your playpen.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
People have been making these kinds of threads since 2006 if not earlier. Of course when you've got thousands of designers with hundreds of designs each there is going to be some overlap. And of course when playing Magic there's always certain ideas that make you think "why haven't they done this?" Maybe there is a good reason why or maybe they just haven't got around to it yet. So many people had designed Enter the Infinite until one day they stated on dailymtg that they would never print a card like that. Then they printed it anyway.

Also, the card in the OP (sorcery counterspell) is almost always in the thread of "cards that are designed too often". Which feels slightly ironic.

As for akromas and morphlings, I'm sure interesting ideas occasionally surface from those designs. Like I wonder if Akroma was the first time they realised how well haste and vigilance go together? (that was probably Lightning Angel, but you get the idea).

"Creatures with no abilities have first strike" is not self negating because of the way that the static effect layering system works. But yeah it does seem a bit pointless to have too many Muraganda abilities when all people are gonna do is use them with token spells. As for flying hate, it sounds like no one wants to talk about it, but you can discuss it with me via PM if you like.   

Even Karn?
Threads that you've seen way too many times:

This.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Threads that you've seen way too many times:

This.

Honestly I feel like I might have made this thread before, but I couldn't remember. Oh well, it looks like it's getting derailed, so we should probably let it go.
Holck'd and bay'd. I feel bad for this thread.

And/or for these boards

CONTRIBUTING: Burn spells that cost that are trying to be between shock and lightning bolt. 
CONTRIBUTING: Burn spells that cost that are trying to be between shock and lightning bolt. 

Bring on the 2/4 splits. Rampant Growths too.

fwiw, I can only remember one previous incarnation of this thread, so don't feel too bad.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

People posting "fair" versions of Black Lotus and Moxes.

Also, on a more personal note, I think custom planeswalker designs tend to be poor in general. It's my least favorite card type from a design perspective.
Rules Advisor
"This creature can't be the target of spells or abilities you control" and "Target creature dies" used to be big around here
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
Commanders. Everybody makes commanders.
Commanders. Everybody makes commanders.

My only problem with this is when an extra color gets added for the sole purpose of making it commander-friendly.
Rules Advisor

Even Karn?

Cards that mess with the rules is like the best part of the game. They add interest and excitement. Besides which technically every non-vanilla card changes the rules. Rules say creatures can't attack or tap with summoning sickness, haste says ignore that rule. Creatures tap to attack, vigilance says that rule doesn't apply.

That being said, I hate when they make identical cards with new names. Terramorphic Expanse wasn't good enough so lets make Evolving Wilds. And how many bloody identical green bear creatures do we really need? Everyone loves bears but really?
I make great commanders because I'm awesome.
"Hey guise! Look how terrible this card is right? Look at it! OMG I'm soooooo funny. I designed a BAD card! Like, on PURPOSE! Hey guise? FUNNY."
"Hey guise! Look how terrible this card is right? Look at it! OMG I'm soooooo funny. I designed a BAD card! Like, on PURPOSE! Hey guise? FUNNY."

God yes.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
No mention of Last Strike yet?

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Or first-est strike/triple strike.
But has anyone made Quadruple Strike yet?! Because I did a couple days ago:

Scepter of Stimulation 
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature has ": This creature gains double strike, if it has double strike, it gains triple strike, if it has triple strike, it gains quadruple strike, and so on."
Equip -

Are you telling me I'm not original? Oh no! "And so on!" 

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.

Scepter of Stimulation 
Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature has ": This creature gains double strike, if it has double strike, it gains triple strike, if it has triple strike, it gains quadruple strike, and so on."
Equip -

Quarter Strike (this creature deals combat damage equal to one quarter of its power, rounded down)
Lateral Strike (this creature deals its combat damage to the closest creature with the same controller instead)
Vertical Strike (this creature can only deal combat damage to players or planeswalkers)
Oblique Strike (this creature deals half its damage - rounded up - in combat, the other half is randomly assigned)

What am I doing.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
It was a bit of a shame that they missed a chance to make a virtual quadruple-strike creature in New Phyrexia, like

3r
Creature
Double strike
Infect
'Cause Invigorate is not powerful enough already.
1/1
Just ignore it.

morphling is a cycle that is 3/5 completed. True it didn't start out that way but I can understand someone wanting to complete the cycle. I can understand the akroma thing after all we're talking about an iconic legendary creature. It makes sense for it to be white and planar chaos was the exception, however, Akroma was never and should never become any of the other colors.  Morphling doesn't have that issue. It's not a legend and after thornling it only makes sense to complete the cycle considering how nice it is to put 5 abilities on the same card (even if two are locked in already). I don't see anything wrong with torchling, thornling or any of the other variants of morphling that people come up with.

Which gives me an idea: How about it's not just a mono colored cycle but also needs a multicolored version.

Everyling
Creature - shapeshifter
: everyling gains trample until the end of the turn
: everling gains flying until the end of the turn
: everling gains deathtouch until the end of the turn
: everyling gets +1/-1 until the end of the turn
: everyling gets -1/+1 until the end of the turn
6/6

Editted my post some. And to be fair it's not like I've been in the YMTC forums very long. The only morphling variant I've seen in my time here was one I submitted in your contest recently. I can see why it might be a freqency popping up every so often, however, in the same amount of time that I've seen only one morphling variant I've seen at least 5-6 steamflogger boss threads.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Shouldn't blue get the -1/+1 effect? Seems more typical.

Jus' sayin'. 
Flowstone anything.
I'd make it legendary though.
When I created the same thread, someone mentioned cards that can turn you into your own opponent... And today, someone actually designed the card again! ^.^
Yushang was the first and best.

Demonic mirror, never forget!
if the waters rise; the continental shelf under water expands

does not uptap on your next untap step
Just ignore it.

As an aside, you're not being original with your Akroma either. Like, I've seen 256 Akromas today alone.

(Also, Akroma herself is kinda off-color.)

Even Karn?

I more meant sorcery-speed counters, Humility, and things of that nature.

Also, just because you can keyword sixty words worth of rules doesn't make your card elegant. *glares at banding*

@Flopfoot: Actually, for me, it was Instill Energy.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Just ignore it.

You didn't like Swordling and Mortling/Corpseling I did awhile back?
Ravnica knock-offs.  I've probably seen every single card Magic's ever printed be Ravnica-ized.

(Mind you, I enjoyed Hairy's RTR contest cycle and can't wait for the Gatecrash cycle)
*glares at banding*

Banding hate is even worse than incessant complaining about green. I don't know if we can be friends.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

People posting "fair" versions of Black Lotus and Moxes.

Oh, dear, yes, that's me.

And I was about to do another one, this one to encourage mono-color decks:

Lush Plains

Land

, Add to your mana pool.

If any card you control would add mana to your mana pool that is not colorless, it adds the same amount of White mana instead.

As it does seem to be about as powerful as a Mox, I don't suppose the drawback is enough.

Coming up with weird ideas to make everyone happy since 2008!

I have now started a blog as an appropriate place to put my crazy ideas.

If any card you control would add mana to your mana pool that is not colorless, it adds the same amount of White mana instead.

"Spells and abilities you control that would add colored mana to your mana pool add that much white mana instead." (from False Dawn's Oracle wording)

And yeah, this is absurdly good.

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Scepter of Stimulation 
Artifact - Equipment
Equip -

This looks like it's more or less the same as infinite strike. (This creature deals combat damage an infinite number of times before creatures without infinite strike.) I've never seen infinite strike before, so I suppose that you're right!
Sign In to post comments