ICD - Evolutionary Leap

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
trying to find the proper costing compared to Bestial Menace.

Evolutionary Leap
Instant
Put a green 0/2 Plant creature token onto the battlefield, a blue 0/3 Crab creature token onto the battlefield, and a blue and green 0/4 Ooze creature token onto the battlefield.
"Evolution is slow, normally taking thousands and thousands of years.  But every few hundred millennia, evolution leaps forward."

-- thoughts?
-- worth it?
-- or too good?
Give them evolve and reverse the order! Or does order matter?  Do they all enter the field at the same time, in the order they are stated, or as you see fit?

I guess if they had evolve the cost should probably be

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/
point is to combo with Evolve creatures -- ideally getting as many as 3 counters added to a creature from this single spell... ---- so you make a good point about the entering order
clarified to make sure it works as combo:

Evolutionary Leap
Instant
Create a green 0/2 Plant.  Then creature a blue 0/3 Crab.  Then creature a blue and green 0/4 Ooze.
"Evolution is slow, normally taking thousands and thousands of years.  But every few hundred millennia, evolution leaps forward."

idea is, you have a Cloudfin Raptor out with no counters on it
then you play this = raptor with 3 counters, and a little assortment of blockers
I think I would up the cost by 1 still since its an instant.  A strong uncommon (I'm assuming the rarity) that I think all Simic players would be happy to play.  Even with no evolve creatures out its a great card.  Its existence would make any good player seriously considering attacking into your evolve guys when you have 4 mana open.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
I think it, weirdly, needs to put the creature onto the battlefield in reverse order.

1. Evolutionary Leap starts to resolve

2. 0/2 Plant etb

3. 0/1 Raptor's evolve trigger goes on the stack

4. 0/3 Crab etb

5. 0/1 Raptor's evolve trigger goes on the stack

6. 0/4 Ooze etb

7. 0/1 Raptor's evolve trigger goes on the stack

8. Evolutionary Leap is put into the graveyard

9. the top ability on the stack resolves, linked to the Ooze, put a +1/+1 counter on Raptor, it's now 1/2

10. the next ability on the stack resolves, linked to the Crab, put a +1/+1 counter on Raptor, it's now a 2/3

11. the last ability on the stack resolves, linked to the Plant, nothing happens

can definitely see upping cmc to 5
want it to be instant primarily for flavor ("leap" after all)
and figure it can be cheaper than Bestial Menace since all of the tokens are 0 power
I think it, weirdly, needs to put the creature onto the battlefield in reverse order.

2. 0/2 Plant etb

4. 0/3 Crab etb

6. 0/4 Ooze etb

9. the top ability on the stack resolves, linked to the Ooze, put a +1/+1 counter on Raptor, it's now 1/2

10. the next ability on the stack resolves, linked to the Crab, put a +1/+1 counter on Raptor, it's now a 2/3

11. the last ability on the stack resolves, linked to the Plant, nothing happens

wouldn't you get the counter either way?
...and for that matter, couldn't they enter all together?

evolve rules text = "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, if that creature has greater power or toughness than this creature, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature"

so, you have a 1/1 evolve, if a 0/1 etb, there's a check, but the ability doesn't trigger
if you have a 1/1 evolve and a 0/2 etb, there's a check, which triggers the ability -- the ability is then on the stack to resolve, and resolution doesn't involve a second check; resolution just puts the counter on your 1/1 evolve

so, i don't think i need the "then" phrases" in the card:

Evolutionary Leap
Instant
Create a green 0/2 Plant, a blue 0/3 Crab, and a blue and green 0/4 Ooze.

so if you have an un-evolved Raptor, and play the Leap:

1.a  0/2 enters, check that it has higher p or t; ability goes on the stack
1.b  0/3 enters, check that it has higher p or t; ability goes on the stack
1.c  0/4 enters, check that it has higher p or t; ability goes on the stack
2.  regardless of resolution order, resolution is placing the counter (withouth an additional check)

...or no?
No, intervening if-clauses checks both on trigger and resolution. If it were worded "When a creature with greater power than this creature enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature," then it would get the +1/+1 counter no matter what.
thanks for clarifying Dream_Spinner

so, to combo with evolve, you do want them to enter in reverse order... which is so anti-intuitive and looks bizzare

boo-urns

Evolutionary Leap
Instant
Create a green and blue 0/4 Ooze.  Then create a blue 0/3 Crab.  Then create a green 0/2 Plant.
Well...if you want to get picky with flavor then it should be a 0/2 ooze, a 0/3 plant and a 0/4 crab, evolutionaryily speaking.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
Well...if you want to get picky with flavor then it should be a 0/2 ooze, a 0/3 plant and a 0/4 crab, evolutionaryily speaking.

i'm fine with that
not terribly committed to the type match up (but do like Crab and Ooze)

Evolutionary Leap
Instant
Create a green and blue 0/4 Crab.  Then create a blue 0/3 Plant.  Then create a green 0/2 Ooze.
  "Normally, Evolution takes thousands of millimia
       leaping forward every few hundred."

Nitpicky but I think I would use a green plant and a blue ooze.  Silly I know.

"Normally, Evolution takes thousands of millimia
       leaping forward evry few hundred."

That would make for a pretty boring card.

Evolutionary Leap
Instant
Create a green and blue 0/4 crab.  Then exile ~ with 525948766000 time counters on it.  If this is the second time this card has resolved create a blue 0/3 plant then exile ~ with 525948766 000 time counter on it. If this is the third time this card has resolved, then create a green 0/2 Ooze.
Whenever a creature evolves, remove 525948766000 time counters from Evolutionary Leap.

Which actually, is kind of a cool card. In a wierd way.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:
...wtf, Duds?

colors on the last itteration were wrong
just swapped order quickly and didn't pay attention to colors

had another thought:

Evolutionary Leap
Sorcery
Choose one -- Create a 0/4 blue Crab, or create a 4/0 green Ooze.

-- idea again being an evolve combo
-- you can keep the crab for free, so it's more expensive than Kraken Hatchling
-- or this could be a very strong creature if you have a Gaea's Anthem out
-- but, either way, you're very likely to trigger your evolve-ers
I like that choose one. Then again, I think 0 toughness creatures are neat.
...wtf, Duds?

Sorry I re-read my post and realized how crazy it must haev sounded.

Using Matt_Holcks quote I looked up how many minutes were in 1000 millenia:  525948766000.
Then using Suspend I tried to recreate the idea of evolution happening over a length of time, using the Evolve trigger to represent the "leap".

Not sure that makes it any less crazy. 

So a less crazy one would be something like:

Evolutionary Leap
Instant
Create a 0/2 blue ooze creature, then exile ~ with 2 time counters on it. It gains Suspend.
If this is the second time this spell has resolved, create a 0/3 green plant creature instead, then exile ~ with 2 times counters on it. It gains Suspend.
If this is the third time this spell has resolved, create a 0/4 blue and green crab creature instead.
When a creature evolves, remove all time counters from ~.

Well...more realistic than less crazy I suppose. 

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
ColonialDragons wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
magicpablo666 wrote:
cats_and_me wrote:

2. 0/2 Plant etb

4. 0/3 Crab etb

6. 0/4 Ooze etb

not quite. the events trigger, but they don't go on the stack at all until the ability resolves. then you can put them in any order you want.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Sign In to post comments