A curious artist that got some questions for MTG.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey I've had some questions in mind about te artist's and the art itself for Magic. I know they don't accept everyone So I'd thought I'd ask to get a better idea of it.

1. What type of mediums are accepted? I've mostly heard painting and concept art I didn't know if oter mediums would be fine to use.

2. Do you just send a digital profolio over to them or through mail? I've wondered about that really, I'm better with a sketch pad.

3.  With the artwork themselves, how are they delivered? I was concerned because of the thought of the paintings. 

I've thought a good amount of this. It's something I would like to do though also want to get better at before I do anything.  
I can't answer the rest, because I don't know, but I have an idea on this one:
1. What type of mediums are accepted? I've mostly heard painting and concept art I didn't know if oter mediums would be fine to use.

TTBOMK, anything. Oil, acrylics, digital, watercolors, whatever Heck, see these cards? They're sculptures. The artist built them, took a picture, did some editing, and submitted that. Medium doesn't really matter, so long as the final piece fits--what matters is the art.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Hi,

1. As Zammm said, they don't really care which medium you use as long as the art is what they are looking for. It can be digital painting, watercolor, acrylic paint, mixed medium. Basically anything that you confortable with.

2. It's mostly done digitally these days. You can send your work at this email adress artdrop@wizards.com (that is if they didn't change it).

3. Finally all artwork would be delivered digitally through email. If you work digitally, you would send them a flattened file. And if you're using traditional medium, you need to scan it, most likely you will need to correct the scanned image (balance the colors, remove dust particle, etc.) and then send them the flattened file.

Keep in mind that my answers comes from my little experience in freelance illustration and from articles about some illustrators that work for Magic. So it may not be completely accurate.

Anyway, you can check this blog muddycolors.blogspot.ca/ . It's not Magic related, (although a few MTG artists post some articles once in a while) but it has a lot of info about the illustration industry and anything illustration related.

Hope this helps!
I was wondering how Higgenbotham got so much depth. Amazing.
Sign In to post comments