Void Genasi?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello all; had a few quick questions about the Genasi (especially the voidsoul) ((Note I don’t have access to the book))

1-      Do Genasi have gender (and thus sex)

2-      Do they need to eat?

I know you can refluff anything but wanting to stay true to original idea, they had descriptions of what some of them look like; but what do you think the Void Genasi look like? Black, smokey?

Does the manifestation of a Genasi effect his personality, if so what would Void ones be like?

Anything else you can tell me about them to help me better play one (wizard void genasi) would be great; never really looked into the race in till a few days ago.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

Hello all; had a few quick questions about the Genasi (especially the voidsoul) ((Note I don’t have access to the book))

1-      Do Genasi have gender (and thus sex)

2-      Do they need to eat?

Yes and yes. None of the rules text suggests that they don't need to eat. But they don't say WHAT they eat, either, so you are free to describe a Genasi repast however you like. For example, Fire- and Cindersoul Genasi may preferred charred meat and vegetable matter.

Genasi, as written, do have gender and procreate. There is no reason that you could not easily refluff the Genasi into spontaneous creations of the Elemental Chaos, becoming to the Primordials what the Deva are to the gods.

In my current campaign, the base five Genasi are "pure" strains. The "corrupted" strains are made when Genasi of different subraces mate. Causticsouls are the result of Water and Fire pairing, Sandsoul for Water and Earth, and so on.

I know you can refluff anything but wanting to stay true to original idea, they had descriptions of what some of them look like; but what do you think the Void Genasi look like? Black, smokey

So sayeth the article:

The physical qualities that genasi display when using different corrupted manifestations are summarized below....

Voidsoul: Black skin; energy lines of the deepest lack of color; bald with utter darkness rising from the head.

I'm pretty sure that they meant to write "..deepest black in color." "Deepest lack of color" would be blindingly white.

Does the manifestation of a Genasi effect his personality, if so what would Void ones be like?

Anything else you can tell me about them to help me better play one (wizard void genasi) would be great; never really looked into the race in till a few days ago.

As written, Genasi share certain personality traits, but their personality is not solely defined by their manifestation. They tend to be impulsive and headstrong, as befits their elemental nature, but I'm sure many Genasi personalities are influenced by their specific elemental natures. In the end, though, it really is up to you whether your Genasi conforms to an expected personality, or if part of the reason he is an adventurer because he doesn't.

Thanks a lot! Really helps me get a better idea of where I want to go with him.

Will more than likely make his skin and eyes pitch black with light grey lines, and have smoke like steam rising from his head and body.

I think I’ll keep with him being truly “corrupted” since I want him a bit more evil; maybe have that manifest in what he eats by eating things which have begun to rot.

Another question if I may. Do they have “skin” in the way normal humanoids do? Or are their bodies literally made out of their manifested element? Or is it some kind of arcane/primal mixture between flesh and an element ((Example- if you hug a fire Gensai do you burn? If you slap a water one, does your hand get wet?))

thankz again!  

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

Genasi are just regular flesh-and-blood humanoids. Their listed racial traits are all the mechanical rules they get. If it's not listed there, it doesn't happen. A fire genasi with flames for hair doesn't set his pillow on fire every night and wouldn't burn people with his touch - the fact that they have flames instead of hair has no in-game mechanical effect. It's just narrative description, so even if your DM decides he wants genasi to be completely made of their respective elements, it's just fluff and doesn't interact with the mechanical rules of the game.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Another question if I may. Do they have “skin” in the way normal humanoids do? Or are their bodies literally made out of their manifested element? Or is it some kind of arcane/primal mixture between flesh and an element ((Example- if you hug a fire Gensai do you burn? If you slap a water one, does your hand get wet?))

thankz again!  

I wouldn't say they have skin like normal humanoids, but they would probably have skin very similar to human skin, aside from elemental influence. It says in the description IIRC that some watersoul genasi are perpetually wet and smell like seasalt, but it implied that less than half of watersoul genasi are like that. In my games we usually say they're 'skin' is mostly human, but has a light elemental inlfuence, such as a firesoul elemental having very warm, or even feverish, skin.

If i were making a voidsoul, i'd say his 'skin' was lukewarm (as in room temperature) and was lacking in texture (it lacks sensation). But there's nothing actually stated about it in the books to my knowledge, so it's whatever you and your dm can agree with. and when it comes to fluff and flavor, there shouldn't be any reason for your dm to say 'no'. 
Sign In to post comments