Live D&D Next Q&A Session NOW

Hey there!

Have any question about D&D Next ? Come chat with me if you have any questions about D&D Next and just to chat about D&D in general! I will be available for the next 2 hours so come on in if you want to!  The more the merrier...

Look for Plaguescarred - Live D&D Next Q&A Session NOW to join

rpgtableonline.com/campaigns.php

I would If I weren't at work right now

Reality Refracted: Social Contracts

My blog of Random Stuff 

Dreaming the Impossible Dream
Imagine a world where the first-time D&D player rolls stats, picks a race, picks a class, picks an alignment, and buys gear to create a character. Imagine if an experienced player, maybe the person helping our theoretical player learn the ropes, could also make a character by rolling ability scores and picking a race, class, feat, skills, class features, spells or powers, and so on. Those two players used different paths to build characters, but the system design allows them to play at the same table. -Mearl

"It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the publick to be the most anxious for its welfare." - Edmund Burke

Back to Product and General D&D Discussions -- because the mobile site is bad. (Fixed!)

I have no idea where I'm supposed to go.
I would If I weren't at work right now

Ditto.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

Accursed Occupation and Money Addictions!

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Sorry the VT disappeared from the  Open Campaign tab for a moment, when a start time you must put is passed it drops and it did while i was chatting and didnt notice it. I just push the time to 11:30. 

If you go to rpgtableonline.com/campaigns.php, (presuming you are registered there) you should see my table on the Open Campaigns tab. Just click JOIN and then LAUNCH to join us.

Curse my recent transfer to Day Shift...
The applet keeps crashing my VM

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Can't access this during work hours Plaguescarred, but here are some Questions from the peanut gallery:

• Will there be updates to rules regarding ranged attacks within melee reach of enemies? Currently there are few drawbacks for doing so, and all my players are going ranged because of its superiority.

• Why don't clerics' healing spells scale up like wizards' bread and butter damage spells do? Example: Thunderwave can be enhanced using a higher level spell slot, helping to improve versatility in the wizard's spell list. Couldn't the cleric's "Cure Wounds" spells do this too giving them greater versatility with their prepares at higher levels?

• Do the developers think that Polymorph is broken right now? Turning a Death Knight into a toad for 1 minute by failing one saving throw using a 4th level spell seems a bit much currently.

• Are there discussions about how long a typical combat should take and is the consensus that they are currently too short? Imposing status effects seems pointless when it always makes more sense to kill everything since the combats only last about 3 rounds.

• And my going-for-gold question: Can we know when the next packet will be released? Those who can't make PaxEast are trying to plan games with players, but greatly want to use the new packet—we can't do that without knowing at least the date of the release.
Another question from the peanut gallery:

• Are there other classes other than Fighter that don't "touch" one or more of the three pillars? 

Race for the Iron Throne - political and historical analysis of A Song of Ice and Fire.
Ok folks I will be on until 14:30 EST before i have to go.

• Will there be updates to rules regarding ranged attacks within melee reach of enemies?

Possible who knows, nothing is set in stone
• Why don't clerics' healing spells scale up like wizards' bread and butter damage spells do?

Because there is higher level version of those healing spells, with better targeting capabilities.
• Do the developers think that Polymorph is broken right now?

I know know. You'd have to ask one of them.
• Are there discussions about how long a typical combat should take and is the consensus that they are currently too short?

I don't think so, combat varies a lot depending on a number of factors, level, number of combattants, conditions, terrain etc...
• And my going-for-gold question: Can we know when the next packet will be released?

No date was given for the next packet, but it will come soon i am sure :P
• Are there other classes other than Fighter that don't "touch" one or more of the three pillars? 

No
Still at work.

Can you ask if there are any plans to expand the usage of Ability Scores either in the core rules, classes, races, or as modules?

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Still at work. Can you ask if there are any plans to expand the usage of Ability Scores either in the core rules, classes, races, or as modules?

While this is an awesome thing that Plague is doing, there might be some confusion. This isn't a talk with the designers/developers, but one where the fans and players can sit around and talk about D&D Next and the playtest.

If I'm wrong Plague, I'll edit this post, but it seems like that's what you're doing here.

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

Thanks so much for replying at the boards Plaguescarred!

Let me rephrase one question:

Do you think there should more of a drawback to using ranged weapons within melee reach?
You're welcome circumnavigate! I saw you lost connection from VT. Anyway I think there is enought drawback as a default rule but would prefer if firing into melee would provoke a opportinity attack personally. 

If I'm wrong Plague, I'll edit this post, but it seems like that's what you're doing here.

Yup i am, just helping the community with Q&A and setting up a channel to talk about D&D Next.  You can come too! Wink

Thanks to everyone who joined, we got interesting discussions! Always fun to meet new people too!

I may do this again sometime in the future...
I just opened up a table for play test players to discuss if anyone wants to talk in real time, without moderators or whatever. Let me say that there won't be anyone in the know such as developers or in house play testers, but at least we will have a functioning chat to use to talk. I'll leave it open for a few hours. Post back if you have trouble connecting...Smile
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
Sign In to post comments